RobotShot 12E NDI Stuck at 640x480

mschmerbeck

I'll just keep it simple.. We have this camera in our conference room, and we uninstalled the NDI Tools software because it was being more of a burden than a help with Zoom meetings.. Now, the camera is running through HDMI/USB through a Vaddio AV bridge instead. It works this way, and the IP streaming part of it looks great, but now the issue is that in Zoom meetings, the resoltuion and aspect ratio are messed up.. It's stuck in 4:3 at 640x480 and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it regardless of where I look or what I change. Zoom doesn't seem to work with IP streaming cameras, only USB.. Is there a way to set it to a higher resolution and widescreen ratio through USB, and if so how? Or are we out of luck here?

This is probably a better question for the company that makes the HDMI to USB adapter.

I know that part of the issue can be that Zoom will determine the resolution based on how it is being viewed on the other side. If it the source is being viewed in a gallery of participants, then likely it will be lower resolution because there is no need for it to be higher. Try spotlighting your caller and see if that increases the resolution since that should make it go full screen on the other side of the call.

Assuming that the resolution limit isn't the HDMI/USB interface itself.

Hi mschmerbeck,
Is it correct that you are using a Dante AV bridge for the cam? That one might be far more complex to manage and this could be the problem.
Is it possible to test a different HDMI to USB cross converter in this setup?

Can you tell us more about your burdens with the NDI software? Perhaps these two problems (burdens and resolution on Zoom) might depend on each other... If your low-res pic would be 16:9 I would suggest something about the proxy Stream not being switched to full-res.

Best from Germany!

Hi mschmerbeck,
Is it correct that you are using a Dante AV bridge for the cam? That one might be far more complex to manage and this could be the problem.
Is it possible to test a different HDMI to USB cross converter in this setup?

Can you tell us more about your burdens with the NDI software? Perhaps these two problems (burdens and resolution on Zoom) might depend on each other... If your low-res pic would be 16:9 I would suggest something about the proxy Stream not being switched to full-res.

Best from Germany!
I'm unsure if it's the dante, it just says Vaddio AV Bridge 2x1 on the front of the device.

The reaason the NDI software was becoming a burden is because this conference room pc is used by more than 20 different people, typically executives, who are not tech savvy or patient with this type of thing. The biggest issue with the software is it constantly forgets the default camera, so you have to go into the system tray icon on a regular basis and tell it "Hey, I want to use this camera!" and then it works fine, which is no big deal for an IT guy, but for an executive, that's out of the question. We needed it to just be as seamless and workable as possible, so we uninstalled the software and connected it via USB cable and HDMI to the AV bridge to work seamlessly with Zoom like any other webcam, which it does now, but is stuck at a low resolution and poor aspect ratio.

I tried numerous steps to resolve the problem with NDI Tools forgetting the default camera, most of which were from people on this forum, and it did help but did not resolve the problems.

I tried numerous steps to resolve the problem with NDI Tools forgetting the default camera, most of which were from people on this forum, and it did help but did not resolve the problems.

So you mean the Webcam NDI Tools App to get this camera NDI feed into your zoom meeting room, correct?
According to my undertsandng when you EXIT a NDI Tools App your settings should be stored + used for next App start.

This does not work on your end as should, or are you ´loosing´ this camera NDI video stream during an ongoing Zoom meeting and Wecam App may be ´irritated´?

So you mean the Webcam NDI Tools App to get this camera NDI feed into your zoom meeting room, correct?
According to my undertsandng when you EXIT a NDI Tools App your settings should be stored + used for next App start.

This does not work on your end as should, or are you ´loosing´ this camera NDI video stream during an ongoing Zoom meeting and Wecam App may be ´irritated´?
Yes, the NDI Tools app. The trick seemed to be apply the settings and exit the app, then log out of Windows.. Then on signing back into Windows, the settings are what you set them to before signing out. This does work for a given amount of time, but the application ALWAYS forgets the settings after some time passes for who knows what reason. I can set the camera as the default, and it will stay that way for days or weeks, but I always get a call from some staff member or executive about to start a meeting saying the camera doesn't work in Zoom only to find that NDI Tools forgets the default webcam. After 6 months this becamse an annoyance, and using the camera with USB is just more practical.

If the assigned camera is not detected, NDI webcam may default to None temporarily. I'm not sure, but suspect that if you exit while in that state, None may be set as the new default. Either way, if memory serves, on one system where I ran into this some time ago I just write-protected the relevant config file. A hackey workaround, I admit, but it's been reliable.

Back