Request for simple set just a flat background with a single monitor to the left.

jasonb

Hello all,
I am new to the trickster world. I love it so far. The virtual sets are really neat but come off to fake, cartoon like. What I need is a virtual set that just allows for a simple flat color background Say just white or maybe a blue. And on that background there be a flatscreen to the left.

This is very simple in nature but would be all we need right now.

I would love to be able to make this myself. I have just no idea where to start.

Thank you all for any help or reply.

-Jason

You don't need a virtual set for this. It can be accomplished in an M/E set to one of the multilayered effects simply by placing a solid color image from a Graphics player or buffer in the background. You don't mention which model you have, which will affect how many layers you have to play with, but all TriCasters offer at least three, counting the key/overlay layer. (Some offer many more.)

I have the Trickster Mini Bundle. It is not the advanced one. We just purchased this last week.

I am not sure how to accomplish this. with the M/E. What I have learned so far is adding a live set.

You don't need a virtual set for this. It can be accomplished in an M/E set to one of the multilayered effects simply by placing a solid color image from a Graphics player or buffer in the background. You don't mention which model you have, which will affect how many layers you have to play with, but all TriCasters offer at least three, counting the key/overlay layer. (Some offer many more.)

I am not sure how to accomplish this. with the M/E. What I have learned so far is adding a live set.
Add the 2-layer effect from the "Default" folder in the LiveSet list for your "Virtual Input" . This will let you set up two layers, a foreground and a background. You will also still have access to the overlay (a.k.a. Key) layer for titling.

Hi Jason,

I just put together a quick tutorial on how to create these kind of layered sets using just the TriCaster's M/E's to composite them - no custom set development needed.

http://www.gnuralnet.com/blog/a-quick-look-at-tricaster-me-for-compositing

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me here in the forums or directly via email ([email protected])

Best,
John

That is great. How can I then add a 2nd video like a and B over the back ground. I basically want to do this:
http://screencast.com/t/bpCL8tRFnE3

The talent in the foreground.
Is there anyone that can take my PSD and turn this into a live set or can I do with with out a live set?

Background on B, video sized down and positioned in A and finally talent on overlay

Hmm. OK. That sounds exactly like what I need to do. I am sorry I am so green to this. Is there any way you can create a video to show this being done? or screen shots?

Not to be harsh, Jason, but this is about 15 seconds work - allowing time for a very short nap.;)

I don't think you've mentioned which model and software version you are running, or it could be easily illustrated with a single frame grab. I suggest you also spend some quality time looking at the online video tutorials (http://www.newtek.com/support/certified/learning-resources.html) and the User Guide, which explains pretty much anything you can think of.

Not to be harsh, Jason, but this is about 15 seconds work - allowing time for a very short nap.;)

I don't think you've mentioned which model and software version you are running, or it could be easily illustrated with a single frame grab. I suggest you also spend some quality time looking at the online video tutorials (http://www.newtek.com/support/certified/learning-resources.html) and the User Guide, which explains pretty much anything you can think of.

It is a Trickster Mini HD-4i
What ever the standard software comes with the trickster.
-J

Image attached. The 'background' image is a crummy 32 bit image I whipped up in a paint program in a couple minutes (frequent interruptions, don't penalize my time please). It has a transparent 'hole' cut in it for the B layer to show through, and is loaded in a Graphics player. I positioned my B source behind it to roughly match the angle. The talent layer in the foreground is assigned to Key layer 1.

View attachment 134094

This was done on an 8000 running 2-5, but the process is identical for a Mini.

Attachments

• hole-in-the-wall-SET.png
    hole-in-the-wall-SET.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 555
p.s., This would be a very simple LiveSet to make, too. As yet another approach, you could also do it without a LiveSet using a "Border" created in Photoshop in a Mini with Advanced Edition software.

Thank you. I was able to get this done with your help. So in the M/E I have 8 slots showing. I am guessing that I can store variations of this M/E setup. View this: http://screencast.com/t/wvA5ChLgP

Like in the live sets I can zoom in on the A, or man more or zoom out for another. Is that what I can do with these while in default 2 ? It seems to make sense when I have a liveset being used but in this senario all 8 show the same thing.

Thank you again.
-J

Your 8 'slots' are Position/Zoom presets for the background layer (everything below the KEY layers). You can set them up however you please. (Technically, the default 2-Layer effect is a LiveSet effect, but it consists simply of two layers with no 'baked-in' foreground or background imagery.)

Ok. I see. So If I have cam1 on A and Net2 on B and the key has a background then it would only change the background. So if I wanted to change cam1 with this then cam1 would have to be set to the key? but then there wouldnt be a background behind cam1. Am I getting this right?

Sorry, I don't think I'm following that. The foreground source in this setup is the talent in the KEY layer (I'm using a DDR clip, but in your setup it would probably be a camera). If the KEY layer source has embedded transparency, or is chromakeyed, cropped, or scaled down, the background (A over B) will appear behind it. (Actually, this is also true for the A layer with this effect, which is why I can see the scaled down B layer behind it)

Hi Jason,

I just put together a video tutorial covering exactly how to create the kind of 'White Infinity' set you said you were looking for - including the angled video/image panel floating on the side - using just the M/E's and DSK's.

View attachment 134105

The video tutorial for creating it is here: http://www.gnuralnet.com/blog/how-to-create-a-virtual-set-using-tricaster-mes-and-dsks

I also built it as a LiveSet that you can install. If you'd like a copy of that, just give me your email and I'll zip it up and send it to you.

Best,
John

P.S. - Thanks once again to Rex for being my stand-in talent :)

Attachments

• SimpleLayeredSet.png
    SimpleLayeredSet.png
    324.1 KB · Views: 485
Back