Qemloss3

Pavlov

- pavlov who ? -
Needed for 9+.
Qemloss2 doesnt keep Vmaps, so there's no efficent poly-reducer in 9.
Hope developer will update it, otherwise come on with other ad-hos tools - please.
i'm keeping 7.5c JUST for this.

paolo

Well its aviable since quite some time

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html

This is a new version of the qemLOSS2 plugin, with added support for all the standard Lightwave vertex maps (UV maps, weight maps, color maps, endomorphs, and selection sets). This version preserves all vertex maps in the original object, and interpolates the values in the vertex maps when a vertex is relocated during the reduction. It allows the discontinuous vertices in a vertex map to be constrained during the reduction process. It also includes support for weight map values and endomorph magnitudes to be used as reduction constraints, giving the user control over which parts of the object will be reduced.

or did I misunderstood something ?

EDIT: oh yes, I see... I did MISS something

Last edited:
tischbein3 - Qemloss3 fromthat page wont work in 9.
Dodgy - oh well... i downloaded these time ago, i didnt even try that tool ;)

thank you,
Paolo

There is now a Windows version of qemLOSS3 that works with LW9:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/plugins/qemloss3_90.zip

The zip file contains qemloss3_90.p, qemloss3_90e.zip, and qemloss3_90s.zip. These 3 plugins will install as separate plugins into LW9, so they all can be added to LW at the same time. The "e" for "efficient" version just does the reduction in the same layer, completely replacing the original object. This eliminates the original plugin's copy/paste/cut operations on the object into an empty layer, thereby reducing the amount of memory needed to do a reduction, and speeding up the reduction for very large objects. But be careful with the "e" version, the plugin completely replaces the original object with the reduced object, so make sure you have saved the original to disk before running qemLOSS3e. The "s" for "scriptable" version is described in more detail on the qemLOSS3 web page:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html

BTW, it's great to see there is a new, free polygon reduction tool available to LW users, it's always nice to have multiple options.

You're welcome, I'm glad people still find the plugin useful. But I have to admit that much of the thanks needs to go to Chris Huf, who asked if I was going to update the plugin for LW9. When my response was "I might get around to it one of these days", he asked for the source code and located the line of code that was causing the problem. So he provided the necessary motivation and assistance, I just recompiled the plugins.

And because of his initiative, I was further motivated this weekend to figure out what was necessary to compile x64 versions of the plugin. So qemLOSS3 (and TextureScape) can now be run in 64-bit Lightwave:

qemloss3_90_x64.zip
TextureScape_x64.zip

Marwin, maybe you could ask Richard Brak to do an update for the Mac version of this this great tool? Currently we Mac users still have to switch to Modeler 8.5 to use it.

Thanks a lot for sharing such great resources!!

markus

OK, I've sent a request to Richard. I wasn't sure if he was still offering to do Mac compiles, so I hated to pester him unless somebody requested an update to the Mac version. I'll post again once I hear back from him.

marvinl said:
OK, I've sent a request to Richard. I wasn't sure if he was still offering to do Mac compiles, so I hated to pester him unless somebody requested an update to the Mac version. I'll post again once I hear back from him.

Chilton is the (a?) Mac guy at Newtek and is eager to help port plugs etc to Mac!

I did receive an e-mail from Richard regarding my request for a Mac compile of the plugin. He mentioned he has not been doing Mac compiles lately, and I noticed his web site mentions he does not provide that service anymore. I put the source code on my web site, and offered it on another forum to any Mac users that would like to do the compile. It was downloaded several times, but I have not heard that anyone has even attempted to compile it. I'll make the same offer here... the source can be downloaded from

amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/plugins/qemloss3_src.zip

I don't know how difficult it was for Richard to compile the previous version, but this LW9 version only has a few minor changes and none of those changes would have made it any more difficult to compile. Feel free to pass the code on to anyone capable of compiling Mac plugins. I'll be glad to answer any questions that might arise.

I don't suppose anyone has the 64 bit version of Texturescape about? The link seems to be dead now. Thanks in advance!

@erikals
It looks like "generate polygons, displace vertices accordingly to image/procedural and then run Qemloss internal procedure on it" all-in-one tool.
Try by hand, and compare results (1st layer Qemloss, 2nd layer TextureScape)

Back