Putting Lyrics using CG

Apoc.3.21

God Bless everybody!

Well, at my church we are using VT4 to record and project our services. We have four cameras inputs and also use CG to put the lyrics of the songs we sing at the bottom of the screen. But I wanted to know if there was a way so that only the lyrics show up on the projectors and not to the DVD recorder. Thanks for your help! God Bless You!

If you use a program like EasyWorship to do the lyrics, and the iVGA feed them to the VT4, you could then use the VGA Keyer in VT4 (have to have the 4.6 update installed) to chromakey the lyrics over the video - that would put the lyrics only on the projector out, they would not be overlaid on the program out to the VCR or recording in the capture panel.

I think he wants his church service recorded without titles.
At least that is what I got from what he wrote.
He already has them as a lower third during service on a projector so the people can sing along but does not want them for his production recording.

Using one VT makes this impossible, to me at least. to do.
If you had two VT's or a Tricaster added to your production, then yes.

I have VTs and a TCP. On the TCP you can use the DVI output and ONLY the iVGA graphics go to the screens. If you want to record the camera feeds during those sections you are free to do so.

But, I have never done this with my VT rig. On the VT I use both heads for dual monitors. I would look into the VGA out section of the manual, and I think it requires a minimum of an Nvidia 7300 card or better.

Good Luck. I don't think it's impossible, BUT you will have to make VGA projector runs, and I don't know how many projectors you have, because with multiples, you will need a VGA splitter/amp to feed your projectors. We have a "black box" that will take the Tricaster's DVI out and allow us to go to 4 projectors (but that's a lot of expensive VGA cables).

The terrific news is that if you see this with your eyes, the results are stunning. I wear glasses. I compare it to "putting my glasses on." The regular iVGA to the projector, that gets converted to NTSC has made major improvements, so I am not saying it's bad, because its not. But, imagine your computer signal being passed to the projector with a minimum of processing.

My only other idea to get a clean recording is there is a spot on the BOB where you can get a clean feed. I think it's the alpha out, but you change something in prefs to record a "clean" feed (sans titles).

Are you streaming your services?

Oops, I misread your post. If you are using the ToasterCG, disregard my idea. I thought the lyrics were coming in from an external computer using Mediashout.

My mistake. Perhaps there is something to glean from my post, but I think I missed your main dilemma.

Kurt

I think he wants his church service recorded without titles. At least that is what I got from what he wrote.

Yes, that's how I read it, too.

He already has them as a lower third during service on a projector so the people can sing along but does not want them for his production recording.

Yes, exactly.

Using one VT makes this impossible, to me at least. to do.
If you had two VT's or a Tricaster added to your production, then yes.

No, you just need one. If you use the VGA keyer, the overlaid lyrics will only appear on the projector's VGA output, they will not appear on the program out, or be recorded to your hard drive.

In order to do this, you must be using the VGA keyer to do the key, and the source must be your iVGA source as Kurt noted (can't do it with the onboard CG) and you have to have your configs set so that your last video card output is being used as projector out, not as expanded desktop area.

No, you just need one. If you use the VGA keyer, the overlaid lyrics will only appear on the projector's VGA output, they will not appear on the program out, or be recorded to your hard drive.

In order to do this, you must be using the VGA keyer to do the key, and the source must be your iVGA source as Kurt noted (can't do it with the onboard CG) and you have to have your configs set so that your last video card output is being used as projector out, not as expanded desktop area.

Wow, I need to try that out.
Cool, very cool.

That sounds like an answer to his problem.
Hope he tries it and gets back to you on his success.

Thanks for the knowledge Bill,

No problem.

The VGA keyer is really meant just for things like that - its other chief advantage is that it performs the key at the projector's output resolution, so if your lyrics on iVGA are at whatever XVGA res, they don't have to get scaled down to standard definition like they would if you passed iVGA through the switcher or DSK. The iVGA keyer is downstream of everything else. That's also why it can't be recorder to the hard drive and won't show up on the video outputs - it's even downstream from them. It's the same in the Tricasters.

where is the output for the VGA Output? is it on the rx-84?

No, it's not on the breakout box, it's on your PC's video card.
You need to have a multi-monitor set-up, either multiple video cards, or a video card with multiple outputs.

In VT[5] prefs, under DESKTOP, you can choose which monitor outputs to use for the VT[5] desktop, and whether or not you want to use one of the monitor outputs for VGA output of video. You need to restart VT[5] for any changes there to take effect.

Once you've turned on VGA output in the prefs, the VGA keyer will be activated in the VGA panel which is found in the INPUT/OUTPUT area of the VT[5] menu.

"Off" will send the switcher program output to the projector out. White or Black will luma key iVGA on top of it, while custom will chromakey iVGA on top of it.

Attachments

• vt5prefs.jpg
    vt5prefs.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 355
  • vga.jpg
    vga.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 351
Hey Bill,
What would cause the VGA out to stop working?
I last tested this feature you introduced me too in Dec. and now I need to use it for a project and VT tells me it does not see me monitor or projector.
If I use the 2nd monitor in Windows using NVidia control panel, it works fine so the system sees the monitor and it works as I can see windows on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

PS I restarted, rebooted, Shut down and all that good stuff to no avail :(
Also changed the VT pref to span all then exit and came back in and changed to VGA on 2nd and exit VT and re-launch and nothing.

The only thing that springs to mind here, would be having Windows span monitors instead of deal with them as distinct monitors...

Did you maybe change your monitor prefs trying something inspired by that other thread about windows getting stuck between monitors if they are out of order from left to right?

I can't think of much else that could cause a problem like that. I haven't used the VGA out often enough myself to run into problems with it though. I just tried it out, because it was a feature.

Last edited:
No nothing like that.
Actually, I use only one monitor now (needed to move the other to another system) but that has not changed since I first tested this out.
When I read your post, I quickly grabbed a monitor and plugged it into the 2nd port on my graphics card.
I then open VT and it did not work but remembered you wrote to change pref and then exit and re-launch VT.
I changed pref to Monitor 1 and VGA on 2.
Exit and re-launched and it worked, which I thought was the greatest.

Will now a month has passed and I could use it in a project I am working on but no matter what I try, it does not work :(

I am call Newtek customer service tomorrow because I really did not do anything different hardware wise since I last tested it.

Thanks anyway,

Newtek support fixed my problem :newtek::thumbsup:
I don't know it worked in the first place but I would bet I had not touched the NVidia setup back then.
Anyway, they told me to set up NVidia as Configured Indepentantly (Dual View).
That did the trick :)

Take care and thanks for all your help Bill,

Back