ProRender 2.5 for LightWave

would be nice to have,
GPU support and all that Jazz...

http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/08/amd-ships-radeon-prorender-2-5-for-blender-in-beta

AkwiXdhP6jM7ctIJ4vT6G0y7KBUuevbNguPGnC3N.jpg

or, eCycles render engine - coder available
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/162696-eCycles-render-engine-coder-available

Last edited:

Sounds like what you're really seeking here is a Cycles port for Lightwave -- worry about optimization after a stable port exists. There was already a Cycles port for Blender when the eCycles author began their optimizations.

Given the rather substantial to huge amount of effort involved, combined with the current LW "uncertainty", I think this could be a perfect case for setting up a crowd-sourced project. OTOH, given how historically "thrifty" LW customers (esp. die-hards) have been, this is probably the largest risk / deal-breaker for getting something like this done, as well.

Still, that same LW "uncertainty" makes being wholly dependent on NT/V for rendering stability a high risk proposition as well, at least right now. Perhaps the prospect of not being single-source dependent on NT/V will cause some LW customers to loosen their purse strings -- rational, but not going to hold my breath there -- all such customers might already be Octane customers.

Last edited:
There was already a Cycles port for Blender when the eCycles author began their optimizations.

I don't know if I'd call the original Blender version of Cycles a port... Cycles was created in Blender, for Blender. From my understanding, releasing just the renderer was an afterthought.

I do agree that porting Cycles to LW at this time doesn't seem like a bright idea, since most LW users who want a different renderer have either gone to Octane or Kray, not to mention the "uncertainty".

Hi,

this was written before the "News" so i'd take this with a grain of salt.

But hopefully "something" will be done, one way or another.

GPU now seems to be out the window, this was the next step for the render engine according to [a source].
So... who knows what comes next...

Back