PNG Artifact SE2

Paul6_3333

paulkinsella
Good Morning, had this come up today on a recent project. Red text on white background. Creating a "brown outline" artifact (jpeg attached rendered from SE2). Any ideas, help, etc? The same png opened in photo gallery or Vegas, doesn't show the artifact.
View attachment 148907

Attachments

• Image2b.jpg
    Image2b.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 361
Good Morning, had this come up today on a recent project. Red text on white background. Creating a "brown outline" artifact (jpeg attached rendered from SE2). Any ideas, help, etc? The same png opened in photo gallery or Vegas, doesn't show the artifact.
View attachment 148907

You are aware of that you both used png and jpg here? and as you should be aware of, jpg is lossy compressed and can result in artifacts, png isn´t is lossless and should produce more accurate results, so be careful with jpg if you have transparent backgrounds..as in avoiding it.
From your renderer you should have rendered out png, not jpg, since it was the source and shouldn´t be comprimized.

Last edited:
Here is the original PNG. This is what was placed on the SE2 timeline - used it for transparency options and quality:
View attachment 148910

I added the JPG only to show what the output of SE2 looks like (gray/brown artifact). And as far as I can tell, that is the only render still option in SE2.

Attachments

• Intro2-All.png
    Intro2-All.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 241
Here is the original PNG. This is what was placed on the SE2 timeline...
Thanks. I've looked at the source image in some detail, and can't find anything hidden in it that might cause this. I don't suppose there is another coincident layer in the timeline that could account for the issue? I'm sure you'd notice that in the timeline view.

Assuming there isn't some sort of overlay there, have you tried exiting and restarting SE?

Yes, I have confirmed that this occurs even without any other layers on timeline.
Have restarted SE2 a few different times, with no change either.
I have Vegas 14 on my computer (don't use it much) and loaded the png there, and it looks good on output. Just don't want to recreate the whole project on Vegas due to time constraints.
So my feeling is the SE2 is digitally altering this file in some way. Any chance that some Preference might need to be changed??

Sure ... man, it's been a while since I fired up SE! Your image is pretty small, so I used an SD resolution project. I can't see any issues here, apart from low res and what appears to be a drop shadow on the left - not sure if that's intentional. But nothing like what you're seeing.

Attachments

• dhs2.jpg
    dhs2.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 250
  • dhs.jpg
    dhs.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 239
As I mentioned, that's the problem. The original PNG is high res and clean > the output from SE2 is shadowed (if that's what you want to call it). There is no shadow or outline on original red text. SE2 is compromising the text somehow.
I have tried chroma keying out the gray/brown outline and that seems to help, but it also degrades the text a bit. Any other work-arounds from others to try??

As I mentioned, that's the problem. The original PNG is high res and clean > the output from SE2 is shadowed (if that's what you want to call it).
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. In your JPEGs, attached, I can see a sort of brown background comprised of triangles. I do not see this in SE renders, as shown in my prior attachments.

The original PNG you supplied is SD resolution (720x480), not high res. Also, the 'shadow' is clearly visible when I look at the image, quite apart from SE. You can see it clearly in this magnified image, which is not from SE. And it doesn't seem to matter whether I load the image with premultiplied or 'straight' alpha.

View attachment 148921

Attachments

• dhs3.png
    dhs3.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 235
OK, that's helpful, thanks. (You do realize I'm trying to help, right? Not to quibble?) :)

So first thing, unlike your prior (cropped) PNG, this one does not have an alpha channel, but rather is composed over a solid white bg ... so that eliminates a whole bunch of possibilities. Now I can see the same problem in SE without any difficulty (well, I still don't see those weird triangles in the back, so I don't know what in blazes that was all about - but never mind).

Further, I can replicate this issue with an image of my own, similar to yours. So yes, there's clearly a problem. Sadly, I have not found any way to resolve it.

It's been a LOOONG time since I've used SE and so can't verify what I'm about to suggest but you can try going into the control tree for the image and enabling Image Super Sampling and/or scaling quality and seeing if that helps.

My feeling is that it's something to do with SE rendering out a 4:2:0 8bit version of a 32bit rgb image and therefore could be a codec choice issue.

But I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:
I tried that and a few other options in the clip properties. File format doesn't seem to matter, either.

To complete the thread, I think I found the issue:
>original PSD file (from client) was 1280x720 (72 dpi) >Saved PNGs were 1280x720 >Timeline was 1920x1080

Now, when I changed the original PSD format to 1920x1080 (72 dpi), saved the new PNGs as 1920x1080 (72 dpi), and then placed on 1920x1080 timeline, the shadow/outline was gone.
Thank you Steve and Shabazzy for reaching out to help!

PS: interesting nuggets:
a) I had tried changing the timeline originally to 720p, but that did not help the original 720p PNGs
b) adding new 1080p PNGs to a 720p timeline, looked fine

Back