Need Tips for installing VT-5 on 64bit Windows 7

B. Schuster

I am trying to install my vt-5 onto my new computer that is a 64-bit 8 core operating system with windows 7

I have disks for a complete VT-4 install and two disks for the vt-5 upgrade and downloads up to VT5v53Update to work with. I also have the SX-8 break out box (BOB)

I have tried the install trail from 4 to v53 and have not been able to get it to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

or do i need to just keep it in its old box on the 32-Bit XP platform?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Simply Install the VT[5] upgrade. Don't need the VT[4]. It's not Win7 compatible anyway.

Thanks for the response, but the VT 5 Disk that I have is an Upgrade disk and says that it needs a previous version of VT to upgrade.

Interestingly, The Upgrade only said that after I had tried (and failed) to install the trail of software from 4 to 5. But after completely searching and removing every last newtek files, then trying the VT5 Upgrade disk, it now is giving me a full install (in progress) I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Still not working.

After the full install of VT5 and a reboot, when I launch the program I get the first Msg:
Launch Error!
Your last NewTek VT[5] session did not exit cleanly, Do you wish to reset the configuration of all modules. You should close all other Toster modules before clicking "Yes" in this dialog!

I click "Yes"

Then I get this Msg:

Driver Problem
There has been problems communication with the NewTek VT[5] drivers. This might be caused by errors in a previous time that you ran the software, or a failure to communicate with the NewTek VT[5] hardware. Try rebooting your computer, and reseat the Toaster. You should also check that your NewTek VT[5] drivers

I still get those messages after following the above many times.

Any thoughts?

win 7

Download vt5.3 from your registration/download area at NewTek.com.
Install
this does not have the dve's. You will have to get from old discs or copy from old machine.
the instalation will remove the dves on the tatget machine.
If you have the old style vt card your windows 7 machine must have the 5 volt buss on the motherboard.
you can tell if the machine powers up and lights the led on the vt card.
The vt pro card should work on most motherboards with out the 5v buss.
Yes the icon is from the coppermine in Salt Lake
Pete
Good luck it really works

Last edited:
mine

I was there 2 and a half weeks shooting a video for P&H on repairing the big shovel.
that place is the pits. (joke)
Pete

The vt5.3 download from my registration/download area is only an update for VT[5] and needed 5 installed in order to do the update.

After re-installing 5 off my disks and running the downloaded 5.3 update I'm still getting the failure.

I have the older VT-card and it is powered and the green light is showing.

Is the Plug and Pray wizard popping up to install the driver when you boot? The VT card will show up as a 'multimedia' device in the device manager before the driver is installed. If it isn't in the device manager or is listed as unknown you probably have a hardware issue.

You did plug the power connector in didn't you?

vt

If you did what the "mug and prey" wizard asked, your best bet will be reinstall the os. I am not kidding here. The order of installation as far as the old man can remember is start with 5.2 then 5.2c and finally 5.3.

Any other NewTek installations must be "uninstalled" using programs and features in the control panel.
Then delete any directories left. I usually clean the registry files but that is best left to an expert.
If you have too many problems you can fly me out and meet at the stairway to heaven. (joke)
Best luck
Pete

When VT was not installed for the first time the P&P came up stated that the no driver could be found for the Multimedia Controller, after I installed VT the driver was found and loaded by P&P. Now that I've uninstalled VT again, the device manager shows that Other Devices/Multimedia Controller does not have any driver.

One thing that puzzles me is that after I seemingly wipe VT off the system, after I install VT again and run the program it notes that: "Your last NewTek VT[5] session did not exit cleanly" Somewhere it knows that I had previously ran VT[5]. Is there a location that I missed in wiping the newtek info?

Driver Problems.

Wiped my computer clean reinstalled windows 7 and updated everything, installed VT-5 off of disks and updated through Newtek's site. (Twice)

Still gives me the same Driver problem messages.

Is there a full VT-5 install that is the last version for Windows 7 and works on a 64 bit machine?

Anyone?

If you get "Driver Problem" message, ther might a chance that your VT card is mal-functioned. VT5 driver is unable to communicate with VT card.
Also, some modern modern motherboard are not functional with VT5 because of PCI timing issues I guess. You can try LGA775 or LGA1366 motherboards. I did not have a luck with with LGA 1155 motherboards (after Intel Sandy Bridge).

Hello B. Schuster,
Have you had any luck resolving this? I have the exact same problem, 8 core, Windows 7. The exact same hardware worked fine under windows XP, but upgrading to windows 7 has caused the problem.
The irony is I have two identical systems, and the other system works fine with the windows 7 upgrade...
Thank you -

Hello All,
Just thought I would add a few comments to close out the unanswered question above in case someone else reads through the thread -

I was able to fix my problem described above by rolling the bios back from version F9 all the way back to version F2.

Bios was updated to cover newer processors which i had installed. The bios roll back restored the communications with the VT card over the PCI bus.

All is well now. Maybe a bios adjustment can fix a problem you have as well.

One other point is the bios became suspect as the VT card was installed in an older computer and all worked well. had to be the motherboard in that case.

Thank you for reading -

The newest VT cards (pro) run on a lower voltage for the buss. The older cards need a 5 volt supply from the motherboards. Most no longer supply this.
You may need to look at a "Legacy motherboard" from intel. A few years ago that solved my problems.
Pete

I am about to do the same thing and so when I inserted the board into the slots, I did not see any lights. Then it got me thinking, I put the board into the old computer and started and did not see any lights. So where is the light located?

Back