NDI®|HX PTZ3 Camera "Out-of-Box Experience" OOBE

JAS378378

My OOBE or Out of Box experience with the NDI®|HX PTZ3 Camera:

• Overall, it functions on par with my PTZOptics camera I have.
  • My trouble with Newtek is the lack of documentation and software in the box and onsite! In the box you will find only two identical 3x5” cards saying “NewTek Hello! Lets Get Started. To get me connected to your network, you need to grab a quick download. You will find it here: http://new.tk/PTZ3Info
    The problem with that site is all of NewTek’s PTZ cameras are covered or supported with software and documentation with the exception of the NDI®|HX PTZ3 Camera I just bought! Why have a link specifically for it and not even mention it on the website your directed to?
    Also, on those 3x5” cards, it says “Write your Serial Number below and hold on to this card.” Well, the problem here is the “Serial Number” is not on the box, nor on the NDI®|HX PTZ3 Camera. Surprisingly, in playing with the camera using the “NDI Studio Monitor” and clicking the ⛮ gear icon in the bottom right corner, it took me to the “NDI-PTZ3 Camera Login” where I guessed the correct default “Username” and “Password.” Once in and navigating to “Administration” well low and behold there was a section entitled “Serial Number.” Now I finally had something to write on those 3x5” cards. While there under “Audio/Video Settings > Encoding” I could then switch from the default H.264 to HEVC “Encoding Mode”
  • Photographers cast light on their subjects or items the NDI®|HX PTZ3 Camera somehow picks up some hallo where the PTZOptics does not. I find myself trying to compensate for this.
  • The sound quality is great on the XLR audio connection. Much better than mt PTZOptics.

One more problem. When trying to "Register" my NDI®|HX PTZ3 Camera on NewTek's website this product does not appear in the drop-down menu. How is the warranty to be honored if not registered?

Does not work with computer having Qualcomm Arm processors, like Microsoft's Surface Pro X series. That is because NDI is not yet developed to support those processors. My other PTZ camaras support both NDI and the ONVIF protocol, thus I get more options.

Exciting camera, I may get one very soon. How many people buy ARM Surface devices? I heard sales are really really low for the ARM Surface vs x86 Surface.

NDI 5 has had focus put into ARM based platforms. Currently, Linux/Android and OSX/iOS are supported with ARM CPU. I would think this effort could be adapted to the Windows platform as well. Likely a question of when it will happen, not if.

And yet to the One individual who bought such an ARM device just knowing that an NDI®|HX PTZ3 camera will not work with it helps he or she avoid the frustration of buying it only to then send it back. I like my NDI®|HX PTZ3 Camera as it works on all my other devices that support NDI. Also having knowledge what it can and cannot do can help avoid embarrassment when dealing with clints relying on my expertise.

Thanx kanap for the Manual link, great documentation from NewTek like always. I'm budgeting to get this Camera this year.

I am incredibly disappointed with the quality of these $2600 cameras. The optics are so bad, they make both the full zoom and the widest aperture unusable. The image gets the "halos" that everyone mentions and the details are completely lost. Unfortunately the setup took a while to be ready for us and our return window has closed. I would advise people to NOT BUY THESE CAMERAS if you care about image quality. Setting them up was not easy either. If for some reason you cannot connect them to the internet and access the web interface, you have to configure them using the remote control and dealing with a poorly-translated-from-chinese menus and options. It is kind of hilarious until you realize you are connecting a device that hasn't even been proofed by english-speaking engineers. We effectively lost three Tricasters because they couldn't be updated from old windows and are not safe in our network anymore. Now the $5000 we spent on these cameras is going to the trash too. And good luck getting any support, which you have to pay separately now!!!! It is ridiculous.

After long term use, I too would not recommend this camera to anyone! One additional flaw "out of the box" was you could sit it on a level surface, yet the picture was not level. I would compensate by using spacers on one side!

Back