LW slow start on first run

genesis1

No big deal but just wondered if anyone else had this. It's only happened on the newest version of LW that I've noticed.
After booting up my pc and everything looks loaded, I'm at the desktop and click on LW layout or modeler. I can see it pop up in task manager and it gradually loads into memory. It takes over a minute before the program finally appears and I can use it. Once it has loaded I can close it and load it fast as any other program from there on.
I have 16gb ram on an X99 12 core system.
I guess I'm just wondering if there is a quick way of loading it faster on first run. I even set priority higher but made no difference.
Like I say, no big deal but when your chomping at the bit to get started, sitting twiddling thumbs on first run for a minute before the program loads can sometimes be frustrating.

Go to folder
C:\Users\[user name]\.NewTek\LightWave\2020.0.2
rename it or delete it.

Does it load slower again, if you do it?

ps. On my setups it never took minute to start up.

ps2. Network issues?

ps3. Firewall issues?

Like I say, no big deal but when your chomping at the bit to get started, sitting twiddling thumbs on first run for a minute before the program loads can sometimes be frustrating.

Do you mean it happens every day when you start it after restart of the computer?

ps4. Download FileMon/Process Monitor to check what is happening:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Not sure this is a valid fix for everyone, but it's faster when using your license dongle, rather than the software. I don't personally have this problem, but it must be annoying.

Go to folder
C:\Users\[user name]\.NewTek\LightWave\2020.0.2
rename it or delete it.

Does it load slower again, if you do it?

ps. On my setups it never took minute to start up.

ps2. Network issues?

ps3. Firewall issues?

Do you mean it happens every day when you start it after restart of the computer?

ps4. Download FileMon/Process Monitor to check what is happening:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Yes it will happen everytime from a fresh restart. Older versions of LW will start straight away, but latest takes longer. I can see the memory being allocated to it in device manager and as soon as it reaches around 95000kb the gui appears. As I say, once it has loaded once it will load immediately on a reload. So I guess its the hub as when I close Windows and shut down it will always say 'a program is preventing Windows from closing blah blah blah' and once I close that it shuts down. I think it must be the order things get loaded into memory I don't know?

Yes it will happen everytime from a fresh restart. Older versions of LW will start straight away, but latest takes longer. I can see the memory being allocated to it in device manager and as soon as it reaches around 95000kb the gui appears. As I say, once it has loaded once it will load immediately on a reload. So I guess its the hub as when I close Windows and shut down it will always say 'a program is preventing Windows from closing blah blah blah' and once I close that it shuts down. I think it must be the order things get loaded into memory I don't know?

(Any) network connection has timeout parameter.
If there is initiated connection, and could not reach destination server, could not connect, timeout will happen which will release lock.
Therefore my questions about network/firewall etc. in the previous post.
60 seconds is quite common value of timeout.
Measure using stopwatch.

Last edited:
On this pc it's not connected to any network.

I'm not sure that's the point. The licensing system for LW checks the network for any other license use, and reports back. If it cannot get past the firewall, it then has to wait until the timeout expires, before it can load.

Found a way to speed it up. Made a shortcut to hub on the desktop. Run that first then launch LW. It starts straight away. So the delay is obviously in the hub waiting its turn to load. So starting that first cures it.

Start regedit.exe, and add Hub.exe to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

This way it will be started at boot of the computer.

Back