LiveSets... where are the full-res graphics?

michof

Hi, all —

This is probably a dumb question, but let me set it up anyway.

I work at a high school and have no budget for the LiveSet Editor license.
I recently did a live webcast of one of our basketball games, and decided to use the Space News dual-box virtual set for putting a camera in the A inset window, and a shot of the scoreboard in the B inset window*. It looked really nice, but in a conversation with a co-worker, we decided it would look nicer with a custom backdrop. Sorry to say, but only one of the double-box virtual sets included with the TriCaster actually looks nice (I forget its name, but it's a simple blue and red swirled background), and it gets too much use. The Space News screen was a departure from the norm for us, but still wasn't custom enough. The webcast version looked like this:

View attachment 135843

So I did some digging in the TriCaster, found what I believed to be the entire set of files for the Live Set in question, and Photoshopped this alternative (I did both left and right):

View attachment 135842

I got a bit worried when I imported it into Photoshop and it was only a standard-def size, but I figured maybe the TriCaster scales it nicely enough that it would still work in my video.

Well, of course, when I backed up and replaced the original graphics with my own, only the thumbnail graphics were affected; I saw my Niles West Wolves version in V1's setup area, but the onscreen graphic remained the original one.

So my question, after scouring the entire TriCaster for any high-resolution version of the original Space News Double Box graphics, remains: where do the full-res files go? Nothing in the LiveSet bin for that (or any other) set looks big enough to contain a hidden .png file that big. I've visited the other forums here, where people share their projects, and downloaded one that someone made for demonstrating iPad software. His LiveSet also had very small graphics files, yet I'm sure those were just thumbnails. I couldn't find the higher-resolution .PNGs anywhere, and the LiveSet files don't seem big enough to be hiding the full-res graphics within. Where the heck to they hide?

Let me reiterate: I have no budget to buy LiveSet Editor, or any paid training or third-party/cutom sets. This was just an experiment, but it's one I think I can complete if I find the right graphic to alter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

* (PS — when I have enough students working on a production like this, we do use a separate laptop running LiveText for onscreen scorekeeping; I had a really light crew this time out, so the simplest thing to do was this split-screen with a cam locked-down on the scoreboard.)

View attachment 135844

Attachments

• Double Box Right.png
    Double Box Right.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 355
  • GBB_Grab.jpg
    GBB_Grab.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 366
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 3.30.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 3.30.32 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 360
Last edited:
All you did was change the icon image. LiveSets are compiled files that can't be edited. Only the VSE project file with VSE can edit it.
That said, the two box you designed can be achieved in TriCaster without the use of VSE.
You use your Virtual Input or M/E, depending on model TriCaster you have.
Make your Photoshop box image in 1920X1080 and remove the B image layer and the people image layer. This would leave just the background and rounded borders but transparency (holes) for the boxes. Save as a normal PSD file.
In TriCaster, import this PSD and use in as the V or M/E overlay layer. Then use a two layer or A over B LiveSet and for A chose the input and B chose the input and then scale and position them to fit behind the frame you want them in

All you did was change the icon image.

Yup — I was impressed that their icon was 640x480 even though it never gets viewed as larger than a thumbnail!

Anyway, I did as you suggested and I love the result! Thanks so much for your help — it is greatly appreciated. My boss walked in as I was finishing it up and loved it!

— Mike

No problem

Feel free to contact me for in-person or remote training for you, and/or your students, when your budget allows :)

Back