Lightwave New Owner

Well, if we want to have a separate topic to talk specifically about how Mac-specific issues might be affected by the changeover to LightWave Digital (which makes sense to me), back in 2020 when the Apple Silicon processors were first announced, I thought NewTek could make an outsized splash if they managed to get a Universal, Metal version of LightWave to market ahead of Maya. Get shown off in all the Apple Keynotes and ads... you know, what Octane and C4D did, in reality.

The big bang of being Apple's favorite 3D program isn't necessarily entirely off the table, and given that my personal benchmarks showed an M1 MacBook Pro running LW2020 under Rosetta translation could almost match the Intel MacBook Pro that immediately proceeded it, I think putting a bit of energy into seeing if Macs could be the thin edge of the wedge in the LightWave renaissance wouldn't be a bad idea. In any event, LightWave will have to be ported for Apple Silicon and Metal sooner or later, eventually Rosetta 2 will be retired, may as well do it early enough to get some goodwill from it.

And, if you'll indulge a little bitter humor, Mac users have gotten used to Apple making a big splash with a major update, then immediately losing interest and leaving some new feature or app to die on the vine, so not a terrible match for the last decade of LightWave development.

I wonder what MacBook Pro you had. I went from a 'last of the Intels' i9 with 32GB of RAM and maxed out process and GFX card to an M1 Mini with 16GB of RAM (it was a maxed out mini at the time).
My benchmarks are elsewhere in this forum, but the M1 smoked it. a 27 minute render on the (plugged in, fans screaming) laptop took about 3 minutes on the M1. I sold that laptop as fast as I could.

I wonder what MacBook Pro you had. I went from a 'last of the Intels' i9 with 32GB of RAM and maxed out process and GFX card to an M1 Mini with 16GB of RAM (it was a maxed out mini at the time).
My benchmarks are elsewhere in this forum, but the M1 smoked it. a 27 minute render on the (plugged in, fans screaming) laptop took about 3 minutes on the M1. I sold that laptop as fast as I could.
It's in the 747 Benchmark thread, let me get it.
...Now, this is the midrange M1 MBP, with a 10-core processor. The Intel laptop is the high-end non-BTO model, with a 2.3 GHz 8-core i9 (it was configurable to a 2.4 GHz version, but my job apparently doesn't keep BTO models on-hand)....

View attachment 151288View attachment 151289

Back