Layout take lot of time to give me hand back after switching to anoher system window

smartfury

hi.
I'm working on 2022.0.2
So, I have a pretty "simple" scene (architecture with not too muc polys) but many images.
So, When I'm working within layout, everything is ok and eactive. But as soon as I switch to the desktop, or any other app that the layout, when I come back, Layout take SOOOOO long time to give me back the control and stay freezed .
Is there any issue with Layout memeory management ?
1675001133058.png
thanks.

hi.
I'm working on 2022.0.2
So, I have a pretty "simple" scene (architecture with not too muc polys) but many images.
So, When I'm working within layout, everything is ok and eactive. But as soon as I switch to the desktop, or any other app that the layout, when I come back, Layout take SOOOOO long time to give me back the control and stay freezed .
Is there any issue with Layout memeory management ?
View attachment 154951
thanks.

Ivé had this issue as well for a long long time, this doesn´t happen with blender.
Switching from lightwave layout to other windows, often causes the system to be none responsible when you try to switch back to layout.

Do you have HDD, SSD, NVMe?

What amount of GFX memory?
Do you have an application that shows current GFX memory usage?
That is, if not enough and flush to make room for another application, it must be loaded with stuff after switching back.

Take a screenshot of the Image Editor - there is a memory usage for images..

A single 4096x4096 HDRI RGBA image will take up 256 MB of memory (4096 * 4096 * 4 * 4 / 1024 / 1024 = 256 MB)
122 such images would take 30.5 GB.
It is a lot. If you use HDRI..
122 RGBA 32 bit 4k images would take ~7.6 GB.

How to reduce GFX memory usage? Use 'count colors' in Photoshop (or so) on the image, and if it's not exceeding 256 colors much, or image is not too important (e.g. barely visible), convert such HDRI/RGBA to PNG indexed. It will reduce memory by 4x (instead of 256 MB for HDRI, and 64 MB for 32 bit, it will take just 16 MB)

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm routinely working with scenes similar it size, etc., but I'm not having that issue. I'm also using 2012.1.5.

Closing Layout down is another matter, but don't know if that is something with Layout or the nVidia cards. Nor is it something particularly new; I have a LOT more memory, etc. now than I did with 2018.

But as soon as I switch to the desktop, or any other app that the layout, when I come back, Layout take SOOOOO long time to give me back the control and stay freezed .
Sure sounds like your system is resorting to using the pagefile/swapfile to make up for not enough memory.

If you are using Windows, launch the Task Manager before starting Lightwave and leave it running so you can watch memory usage and swapping/paging activity. I can't remember what tool is equivalent to Task Manager on MacOS.

Hi

Memeory swap issue was my first though
But With 32Go I'm far from the ma usage
Aslo the GPU is idle, and really not in charge.

SO Reducing the Texture size in OpenGL option tab was a bit better (using 128x128 previews instead of max 4096x4096 (but I don't use such as a lot of big textures like that)

In other hand I have lot of light ... I'm wondering if it could cause my trouble.
I should ttry removing lights to test.

By the way, I'm running on windows 10 on NVMe hardrive.

but...
My datas, are... on yy NAS.
And it seems, when Layout is hanging on...that the NAS hardrive is working... slowly, but there are access here...
But it should not...
:unsure:

Sounds like your NAS is the bottleneck.
Try copying relevant files to a local drive and see if it improves.

FWIW, I'm routinely working with scenes similar it size, etc., but I'm not having that issue. I'm also using 2012.1.5.

2012.1.5?
Closing Layout down is another matter, but don't know if that is something with Layout or the nVidia cards. Nor is it something particularly new; I have a LOT more memory, etc. now than I did with 2018.
If the application suddenly closes for no reason, typically, there is a reason - stack overflow.. (on Windows, each thread has 1 MB for the thread stack size by default. But it doesn't matter if there is a bug in the code)

This is usually a sign that a recursive algorithm has infinite recursion.

It doesn't matter how much physical memory you have.

If the recursive algorithm has no exit, regardless of whether you have all the memory of the Universe, it would cause a stack overflow..

Doing infinite recursion is the easiest thing you can do, for example C/C++:
Code:
void proc() {
proc();
}

My datas, are... on yy NAS.
NAS? Are you kidding? Check the network utilization after the switch.. network timeout will cause a lot of free time for an employee who doesn't want to do anything (if paid by the hour)..
It is enough to have a path with \\machine\drive\path somewhere for the work to be stalled.. if [machine] and [drive] do not respond..

If you use mine Auto Update Images, it checks if images were changed..
If the images are on the network (any UNC path in .lwo and .lws), and the machine is not responsive enough, you are in trouble.

This is a very difficult thing to track down..

Last edited:
I'm @HoMe on a personal so no problem to waste time 😜

Anyway, Does the Auto update of image could be the problem... I guess you pointed out the problem
Is it this option to turn to Man (manual ?)
1675187421740.png

What are the function of these Auto/Real/Man

UseLayouttime is dedicated to Anims ?

Just tested by set it yo Man...
It seems to fix the problem o_O partially. Faster.
But as you said, it access the network anyway... and may be the reason of the lag also

So, ok, Copied entire project on My internal SSD... Works MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better

So Working from my nass is clearly not a good idea, for "heavy" projects. Could be ok for wuick projects... but here ,with a lot of pictures... nop

thanks all

Are you on a Desktop or Laptop...?
May be better to add a drive for working project, then archive to NAS.

desktop for sure.
And yes... I will probably use my nas as backup instead of working on it, at least for project that require lot of images

desktop for sure.
And yes... I will probably use my nas as backup instead of working on it, at least for project that require lot of images
Get SVN and TortoiseSVN.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tortoisesvn+tutorial+youtube
Set up on the local disk and NAS.
It will handle updating just modified parts of your project.

It is used by programmers, but can be used for anything which must be synchronized and duplicated in many network locations.

Back