Layout modeling enhancement workflow-Clone to dummy-Low res

prometheus

REBORN
How about having a figure, head or something, selecting it, and choose clone to dummy..in a single button click you will have your, head or figure encased with a dummy object at lower resolution..which you could specify resolution on upon a requester.

This would need Lightwave Layout to use retop meshing directly in layout withint the tool.

Would probably enhance workflow speed to set up things like figures for dynamics, like a head and hair ineraction with a lower mesh cage.

I like that idea! :i_agree: Trying to create low resolution models for all kinds of needs is a pain. :compbeati

Yes another area where LW is lacking depth and functionality. Other apps have built-in LOD and poly reduction, proxies or similar features, controllable in various areas like camera distance. Well LW 2020 should be around the corner so there is hope.

shift drag clone for a start, along with grid snapping, rotation snapping, quick grouping, snapping of pivots, temporary pivot with hotkey toggle, ctrl+shift drag to create an instance.

when cloning or insancing, should give an option to specify how many and if you want to replicate with the distance or angle moved away from the original.

All stuff that is in Max and Maya, been requested before. Stuff like this relies on using the industry standard alt+lmb/rmb nav, so you can free up ctrl and shift keys..

Maybe one day someone at LW dev will take a proper in depth look at workflow in other 3D apps and apply the findings to Layout but I doubt it.

Good artists borrow, great artist steal. No point trying to make square wheels when a round one works great.

You can create a dummy object by creating an OpenVDB object - you can rez up or de rez as you choose. You can also save the object out as a mesh so you don't have the overhead of OpenVDB. My tutorial here explains how, just mix it to your needs.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2019/Example+-+Logo+rezzing+up

B

• That´s not exactly what I ment by implementing a fast workflow, why not just go to modeler and reduce polys, save incremental, send to layout..done, no nodal workflow.

• This idea is supposed to generate the dummy on the fly when just clone to dummy, a resolution requester should pop up to set resolution.

• If using VDB as the basis, it can of course be an idea, but you shouldn´t have to set it up yourself, that is something the Lightwave developers could work out as a new tool, based on VDB, the user should just click on clond to dummy, set resolution...done.

A lot of workflow to adress, when you want a volume primitive, you shouldn´t even have to add a null, go to properties, change item type, and the same for vdb.

You could for instance start with 4 types in a add primitive type panel..
  • Add volume primitive - which adds a null already set up to be volume type.
  • Add VDB primitive - which adds a null already set up to be vdb type.
  • Add shape primitive - which adds a null already set up to be shape type.
  • Add VDB primitive gas solver, which adds a null already setup with gas solver connection.

Just think how fast you start a fluid smoke in blender, select object, hit F3 ..type quick smoke and apply, and play..instant smoke.

I need to properly file it as feature requests though..I guess.

I'm sure someone smarter than me can do it with a script. Here's pseudocode:

Code:
1. Load hiPoly object
2. Create null with same name+vdb
3. Add OpenVDB Evaluator to null, add Mesh to Volume to it with the hiPoly object as the target
4. (optionally hide original from OGL and the VDB from render. Don't know if this would be enough to reduce burden on the scene)

B
PS. Bonus would be to add a null that's parented to the vdb proxy, give it a shape and lock the x and z movement channels. This null's vertical position is tied to the resolution of the vdb

You could for instance start with 4 types in a add primitive type panel..
  • Add volume primitive - which adds a null already set up to be volume type.
  • Add VDB primitive - which adds a null already set up to be vdb type.
  • Add shape primitive - which adds a null already set up to be shape type.
  • Add VDB primitive gas solver, which adds a null already setup with gas solver connection.

Just think how fast you start a fluid smoke in blender, select object, hit F3 ..type quick smoke and apply, and play..instant smoke.

I need to properly file it as feature requests though..I guess.

Yeah, you do. I like this feature request. I guess it would be similar to how lights are added in Layout.

B

Yeah, you do. I like this feature request. I guess it would be similar to how lights are added in Layout.

B

like i mentioned, please try out max and may in this regard, with cloning and duplication keyboard shortcuts.
you can just get the demo

B

I will try and manage that.

I can not properly script code either, need to learn that and in python as well, I can do lscript hacks though, which I did for getting modeler text tool in to layout, by actually editing the original script.
And with ls commander..you can apply the workflow as you say with Lights, like adding star lights, wich already has lensflares setup with star filter, you can probably make variations on that, I just tested so that should work.

But I think I tried lsCommander for applying a null with primitive types already setup like vdb containers etc, but it doesn´t work with only lsCommander..not when you change primitive types like that and trying to have that followed in the lsCommander.

- - - Updated - - -

B

I will try and manage that.

I can not properly script code either, need to learn that and in python as well, I can do lscript hacks though, which I did for getting modeler text tool in to layout, by actually editing the original script.
And with ls commander..you can apply the workflow as you say with Lights, like adding star lights, wich already has lensflares setup with star filter, you can probably make variations on that, I just tested so that should work.

But I think I tried lsCommander for applying a null with primitive types already setup like vdb containers etc, but it doesn´t work with only lsCommander..not when you change primitive types like that and trying to have that followed in the lsCommander.

Giving up on editing the forum hangups and double posts because of that, I will leave it as it is, thus anyone subscribing will also get double posts in their mail.

Forum fix please.

As for adding lscript, same with lights if you try and use lsCommander, you can add a light, make it have a lensflare..and even a certain kind of star filter, but you can not change light type, it will add a distant light, even if you add a point light when using lsCommander, so it is as expected with lsCommander, not all properties will work.

Last edited:
Correction, you can fix the script within lsCommander to have the added lights be point or distant..but it doesn´t work directly correctly when adding light from the add light point light, the command line in lsCommander will be ordinary distant light, despite you have chosen the point light, but you can go to command sequence and delete the add light and replace with add point light and install script.

So that will give us a point light for stars with lensflare already setup.
Will see if I got the time to do a couple of those and post as free scripts.

has been part of odtools forever: https://vimeo.com/312774493

What do you know..there it is, sort of.

But isn´t the proxy still at vdb level..and not converted back to a lower mesh proxy?
Just wondering cause I ment it should create a mesh on the fly to use for dynamics and such.
Sure we could use simpler collision modes for the actual bullet item properties as well.

I noticed you also have create vdb directly to volume from a mesh, but do you happen to have the Add vdb container as empty, for just loading vdb files? as well as Add primitive item already setup for volume mode?
Those things would speed up workflow a bit as well, I tried various lsCommands, but I don´t think it´s possible to have those commands in there to switch primitive types.

Add volume primitive - which adds a null already set up to be volume type.
Add VDB primitive - which adds a null already set up to be vdb type.
Add shape primitive - which adds a null already set up to be shape type.
Add VDB primitive gas solver, which adds a null already setup with gas solver connection.

And lastly Add primitive Item shape.

Oliver and I live in different dimensions though, where forever is compressed in to a couple of years :)

Last edited:
the created proxy mesh is regular geometry.. it just uses the vdb tools to create it.

and yes.. the create vdb sets up a null/load vdb/etc stuff... its a different tool. (fog or levelset)

Yes another area where LW is lacking depth and functionality. Other apps have built-in LOD and poly reduction, proxies or similar features, controllable in various areas like camera distance. Well LW 2020 should be around the corner so there is hope.

Object Properties > Replacement drop-down pick Level-Of-Detail Object Replacement.. pick up files for various distances..

This option is "since ever"... you just have to have saved object..

Back