Jovian color picker - ken nign

COBRASoft

General question here... Is ken nign still active at lightwave? He's the developer of the fantastic jovian color picker.

I was wondering if he could bring the project back to life as standalone app or maybe make it open source?

Funnilly enough, Jovian started as a standalone app.
When I was familiarising myself with an 'open source alternative 3D', I really missed the Jovian colour picker.
I did buy the original standalone version before it was integrated, am not sure how widespread support is in other software to allow users to select their preferred colour picker.

I also have the standalone version (licensed). My problem is that the history stopped working for some reason. As I do a lot of web dev and need to use colors from images, Jovian is a perfect tool, if the history would still work :(.

Shame that the history has stopped working.

I think the problem is that when it was released, non-linear workflows were new and not very well understood. Now, all apps which need to handle non-linear colour spaces have that built in, so I suspect a rejuvenated version would have a much smaller customer base.
Open source would be good, for us, depends if Ken Nigh is inclined to release it.

Though when it was released, the non-linear aspect was a big draw. These days I prefer it because it's a great colour picker with some brilliant features.

...My problem is that the history stopped working for some reason...
Is it possible that it was designed to write history to its own program folder? Recent OS security updates lock program folders from being writeable at the user level. Consider adjusting the permissions for the Jovian program folder so that it is writeable...or install the program to a location outside of the OS's default security model, like C:\Jovian.

I'm still here. I'm sorry to hear that the History has stopped working. Assuming this is the Stand Alone version, there should be a setting on the Library tab which let's you pick a different location for where to store the files. You'll want to make sure that it's a location that can be written to without issues. By default it's the "Config Folder" which will be somewhere under the user account's AppData folder (which Windows like to treat weirdly depending on the version).

Oh wow. You always gave some of the better presentations at the Burbank UG back in the day.

I still softly curse those apps that don't have, or I can't add the functionality of Jovian.

I'm still here. I'm sorry to hear that the History has stopped working. Assuming this is the Stand Alone version, there should be a setting on the Library tab which let's you pick a different location for where to store the files. You'll want to make sure that it's a location that can be written to without issues. By default it's the "Config Folder" which will be somewhere under the user account's AppData folder (which Windows like to treat weirdly depending on the version).
I tried changing that location, didn't help.
I'm on Windows 11.

I have both the Lightwave plugin and Standalone and Jovian is by far the best colour picker I have used on both Mac and Windows.
So a very big thank you to Ken Nign. Very sad that it is no longer sold. If it ever gets further developed or made available again, perhaps with ASE import I would not hesitate.

The UI is a bit outdated but i agree, there's nothing out there that comes even close to jovian.
I would def pay for an update and bring it to 2022.

I tried changing that location, didn't help.
I'm on Windows 11.
I haven't had a chance to test under Windows 11, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a problem with Windows 11. I'll post an update once I get a chance to look at that. Hopefully there's a setting that can be adjusted to get it working again.

I've just come back from Jupiter's moon, Europa and just had to show you what I discovered there.

What's under the surface?
Nice find! I'm amazed that site is still around.

Oh, yeah, the 'universal' version of Jovian was awesome! I don't have it currently installed because I think I ran into a licensing problem a long time ago. If you're going to support it Ken, I'll definitely buy it again.

I always loved having Jovian in LightWave.

I have Jovian Stand Alone as well. I'll have it loaded up so I can get RGB values that I can input into other 3D software (3D Coat, Blender, Rhino3D, etc.). I'd really love to figure out how to get it working in GIMP...

I don't use Gimp so I can't help ya there. I do use the standalone still particularly between LW and DAZ. They use different color space so you can't just copy numbers over. But if you are able to have both running at same time, it's just a matter of click picking with Jovian.

Back