Is it possible animated trick projections?

BernieBn

Is it possible to animate trick projections?

With Lightwave 2019's new additions to materials and such I was curious if this kind of trick effect is possible within the program:

Let's say I want a character to shine a trick flashlight on a wall. The light makes the surface invisible wherever the light projection hits, allowing the character to see what's behind the wall. This happens anywhere on the wall that the flashlight hits. How would I go about this within Lightwave?

I figured it was also possible to simulate changes in surface color if a unique light was used on it, but can Lightwave also accomplish invisibility?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is possible but this type of fx I would do in comp. It would be easier to control and adjust.

I'm not sure if this is possible but this type of fx I would do in comp. It would be easier to control and adjust.

Yeah, I knew it was possible as a composition with editing software. But I was wondering if the new features could help push that trick to another level. One issue I think the new OpenVDB features could offer is revealing the thickness of the wall if the camera view isn't fixed 90 degrees from the surface of the wall. I was also curious if residual light rays can also be seen passing to the other side if that FX were pulled off.

Back