Importing Old CG files into VT5 CG designer

Mr Turner

I just got a new machine with VT5 and a new pro card. Traded in my old VT2 card. Must say it is a rocking machine. I have a leased access station in a resort town. I have a bunch of real estate clients. I have real estate listings we run as photo ads. Basic templates I change ad info when prices change, etc. I have dozens of cg project files I created in my VT 4.6. I load them in CG Designer on my new machine and pictures, logos and other layout pieces are missing throughout projects.

Any ideas how to load them without losing all of my work?

If you are curious.... Check out my YOUTUBE client approval site.

You tube site:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mrteasetoaster

Thanks for any help.

T

I have dozens of cg project files I created in my VT 4.6. I load them in CG Designer on my new machine and pictures, logos and other layout pieces are missing throughout projects.

Hi, Mr. T -- while it's clear that you've got project files (.VTP) from your VT[4] transferred to your VT[5], me thinks you didn't indicate whether or not you *also* made sure to place on your new system, the actual A/V media files -- which the project file (.VTP) points to. So, did you?

If so, you could ensure that you...
1. installed those A/V assets (files for your project) in the same Drive/Folders path that they had on the previous machine, if possible, and/or...

2. While you're at it, on your VT[5] machine, look in PREFERENCES and under EDITING > GENERAL for the FIND MISSING FILES path gadget (I believe it's grey, with an ellipse on it ["..."]. Click on that gadget, and within the window that pops up, navigate to the Drive/Folder location where files that might be shown as "missing" in future project-opening attempts, are likely to actually be.

Another tip:
After loading any project, and noting that clips within that project are highlighted red which indicates that they're "missing files" -- that is, the files had been moved to another location different than the data in the .VTP file indicates -- here's what you could do to get the project to find those missing files, if it didn't do so automatically (because PREFERENCES isn't appropriately set up to do so (refer to point 2 above).

When you're looking at an opened project, with missing files -- again, missing clips are highlighted in red...

3. Go to your project's SPREADSHEET tab, which will give you a list view of active assets in your project.

Look at the DRIVE or the PATH column, and click-select (hold down CTRL key for this operation) all "Missing Files" that actually are residing on the same drive.

After they're all highlighted, go to the very first selected clip, and click on the path gadget ["..."] in either the DRIVE or the PATH column, and navigate within the window that opens, to the location of those missing files.

In an instant, all those files will be found and brought into your project, if those actual A/V files are on your system.

Q1

Last edited:
Woah, Mr. Turner. I just re-read your post, and it's clear I misinterpreted your "CG" Project from VT[4] to VT[5]issue. Please pardon me.

Q1

It may be looking for a drive mapping that no longer exsits?
Say, if you had your background images on the V: drive and now they all reside on C:. That could cause that.

Back