Importing 3dStudio files

creach

Cranky old man
The gent that did our news opens gave us our station logo files as 3DStudio files, *.max I think. We do not have/use that product.

How do I import them into LW express? Or is there a way?

Thanks!
Dan

In Modeler go to file->load object. Then in the file type just change it to all files.

Choose your max files and you'll get a requester for conversion settings.

Thanks, Romain.

The File -> Import selection lead me to believe I needed a plugin or something. I'll do that.

Dan

To avoid having to do this each time, make sure modeler is not running, open your lwm.cfg file & look for the following line.

''FileType Objects *.lwo;*.obj'' (yours may differ)

Add '';*.3ds'' onto the end, without the quotes, and save.

I don't think you can import .max files can you? At least it didn't work for me... From what I've read you need 3dsMax installed to use a conversion program like Deep Exploration to convert .max files. You can import .3ds files though.

Well, thanks for the replies...

But it won't import *.max files, as bloontz has said.

Are there any shareware format converters that'll do the job? Or any secret keystroke sequences?

Dan

Try searching for polytrans. It's not freeware but I think it does the job.

Never used it but have heard of it.

It seems that the .max format isn't public so the conversion applications require Max to be installed to translate .max files, that's my guess anyway. I'm not sure how much would be compatible between .max and .lws, you may be better off having the objects converted to .3ds and rebuild the scene in Lightwave. Perhaps you can find someone with Max who's willing to convert the stuff for you.

Thanks, gang.

Simply converting them with 3DStudio may not be the preferable choice, but it definitely looks like the most easily accomplished.

Ah, well.
Dan

Nope. it is the only way. Max is the only thing that reads max format unless you have a programmer that reverse engineered Max. But most software license makes that illegal.

3d exploration requres Max to be running to convert files. Most max houses that need to go to game engines have exporters running in max to do that, not a seperate app that converts.

Back