Ideas to recover an LWO file please?

starbase1

May the sauce be with you
Just had a crash which damaged an 11.6 LWO file I was working on, my most recent backup is a several days old, (of course, this is the time i found my daily file copy script wasn't working).

File size looks about right, but only one layer comes in, untextured. Accutrans reports file damage and a HUGE expected file size. Won't load it. Lightwave 2019 also didn't deliver anything helpful with a load.

I wasn't using it in a scene yet, so nothing shows in lwhub.

(I have all my project stuff multiple backed up, and daily C: backups, including to a RAID NAS, but like I said, I was caught out by the daily file copy not running...)
Sigh.

Any suggestions for other options very welcome.
Nick

In Modeler, type "o" to bring up the General Options panel (also found under the Edit menu).

Make sure you have Auto Save Objects enabled with a decent interval. This will prevent issues like this in the future. If this was already enabled, check to see if backups were made in the Content Directory defined above.

1682512575614.png

Re Autosave, I used to have that turned on, but found it was creating copies of files all over the place. It became harder to find the most recent one, and really didn't help.

I'm setting up FreeFileSynch to produce frequent backups of my project folders.

But thanks or the suggestion.
Nick

Last edited:
Just had a crash which damaged an 11.6 LWO file I was working on, my most recent backup is a several days old, (of course, this is the time i found my daily file copy script wasn't working).

File size looks about right, but only one layer comes in, untextured. Accutrans reports file damage and a HUGE expected file size. Won't load it. Lightwave 2019 also didn't deliver anything helpful with a load.

I wasn't using it in a scene yet, so nothing shows in lwhub.

(I have all my project stuff multiple backed up, and daily C: backups, including to a RAID NAS, but like I said, I was caught out by the daily file copy not running...)
Sigh.

Any suggestions for other options very welcome.
Nick
I don't have any version installed still that early to give you a more exact location (whether under Newtek or a User folder), but 11.6 I'm sure creates .tmp files of your .LWO's so there'll be a number of xxxxxx.lwo.tmp files. Try searching for those.

I don't have any version installed still that early to give you a more exact location (whether under Newtek or a User folder), but 11.6 I'm sure creates .tmp files of your .LWO's so there'll be a number of xxxxxx.lwo.tmp files. Try searching for those.
The lwhub folder. Only created if you are using layout and modeller at the same time, to move working files between the two.

Back