Human Progress

I have seen this when it was all over the media, just never responded to this forum. Really great stuff Chris, I'm sure you are still working on the next amazing piece, or maybe you are working some on some high profile movie or something? Anyhoo, Amazing work, I hope you are getting to play a role with the development of LW 2016! Even as I view it today....Just WOW!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forgot to mention, I really like how this is in the WIP section....LOL...They look pretty final to me, and have great story telling!

I have seen this when it was all over the media, just never responded to this forum. Really great stuff Chris, I'm sure you are still working on the next amazing piece, or maybe you are working some on some high profile movie or something? Anyhoo, Amazing work, I hope you are getting to play a role with the development of LW 2016! Even as I view it today....Just WOW!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, forgot to mention, I really like how this is in the WIP section....LOL...They look pretty final to me, and have great story telling!

Not quite... the whole thing sort of ground to a halt after I couldn't produce acceptable looking hair, and I've been spending most of the rest of the time pursuing other interests (somewhat unsuccessfully) - so now I have nothing to show for the past 15 months! I intend to make up for it this year though, somehow... I hope...

I appreciate the sentiments though. :)

(c:

Not quite... the whole thing sort of ground to a halt after I couldn't produce acceptable looking hair, and I've been spending most of the rest of the time pursuing other interests (somewhat unsuccessfully) - so now I have nothing to show for the past 15 months! I intend to make up for it this year though, somehow... I hope...

I appreciate the sentiments though. :)

(c:

Chris, speaking of hair, what do you think of them ditching the pixel filter and volumetric option to go with a ray traced primitive?

Chris, speaking of hair, what do you think of them ditching the pixel filter and volumetric option to go with a ray traced primitive?

I'm not sure I understand how it differs from the way it currently works actually. Using Volume Type: Solid and ray traced shadows at 200% currently gives me the same results as geometry (except for the rendering bugs when the hair is at 1:1 scale), but my system can't handle 100,000 geo fibers.

Will have to wait and see what this means exactly... is it something like instancing? If it makes it possible to texture fibers without losing self shadowing, and it can handle hundreds of thousands (or preferably millions) of hairs, then it will surely be an improvement.

I'm not sure I understand how it differs from the way it currently works actually. Using Volume Type: Solid and ray traced shadows at 200% currently gives me the same results as geometry (except for the rendering bugs when the hair is at 1:1 scale), but my system can't handle 100,000 geo fibers.

Will have to wait and see what this means exactly... is it something like instancing? If it makes it possible to texture fibers without losing self shadowing, and it can handle hundreds of thousands (or preferably millions) of hairs, then it will surely be an improvement.

Yeah not sure. Really curious about it myself. I know instead of scale it will have an actual thickness in millimeters so perhaps that will take care of the 1:1 bug. From what I understand, the geometry is calculated at rendertime and so the new bucket renderer may help in that regard.

from the blog:

'Pixel Filter and Volume Render have been abandoned in favor of a real Ray Traced Primitive with specified thickness in millimeters, perfectly integrated with the new PBR render and, of course, visible in VPR. Fibers can now be reflected/refracted and affected by radiosity, volumetrics, depth of field and motion blur. Fibers can be assigned any Material (which greatly extends FiberFX use well beyond simply rendering hair and fur), and a new dedicated Hair material has been created.'

Millimeters seems an odd choice though... a 1mm hair would be extraordinarily thick. Then again perhaps that's to accommodate the "...greatly extends FiberFX use well beyond simply rendering hair and fur..." part.

Hair/Fur is an important part of my work too so I am very excited to try the new hair/render system. I hope render time will not be a problem having polygonal fibers.

Lino, how feasible will it be that we can render many hair primitives (even into the millions) in the new release? Not thinking just for hair on characters but for grass and other uses.

Just to say that by chance I was on the Houdini site and saw this video, which I think is clearly inspired by Chris' Mr Ed work in Lightwave. :)
https://www.sidefx.com/gallery/bouncy-1/

The Lightwave render from Chris was better in quality ..realism, and also in the actual face movements, what was cool in this was just the dynamic soft body bounce.
Yes, perhaps a bit inspired..similar motion there a bit in the clip.

Back