Has any tried LW 2020 on MacOS 11 (Big Sur)?

MIKED

Just wondering if there are any guinea pigs out there who have given this a try. Big Sur is about to come out of beta, and it seems like a significant overhaul to Mac OS, which means there's potential to break LightWave…

If LW continue as your last three updates, maybe LW will dead for mac...
I am a mac user since 2006.
Is time to change 3D software...

I'm not holding my breath, there are a bunch of security improvements in BigSur, and LW generally seems to have problems with most OS security improvements. We'll see.

Wondering the same thing here. I think I may update my work laptop and see what works and what does not. If I have to revert back it will be a minor inconvenience. Guess I will hold off on the MacPro.

Last edited:
Installed Big Sur yesterday and can confirm that LW 2018 works... apart from on screen sub menus being blank.

Sub menu commands still work mind you, but you can't see what you've selected.

Don't know if that's an issue for LW 2020 users but I'd still hold off on upgrading for now.

Yep, it works on my 2015 Macbook Pro. Curious to hear from anyone that tried it on an M1 machine. Not upgrading anytime soon though.

Sub menus seemed to work for me. I just did a quick open and configuring, have not done any real testing, but at least it opens...lol

Sub menus seemed to work for me. I just did a quick open and configuring, have not done any real testing, but at least it opens...lol

Which version of LW are you using? Did you do a fresh install of everything or just upgrade your current OS install?

Last edited:
I always do fresh installs for major point upgrades. I am still on LW2019, and do not see myself upgrading. Just do not use it enough.

I always do fresh installs for major point upgrades. I am still on LW2019, and do not see myself upgrading. Just do not use it enough.

Hmmm, maybe a fresh install will fix the issue with 2018 as well… I feel a weekend project coming on

Well, found some time to try a fresh install and the blank sub menu issue is still there in LW 2018… looks like it’s time to upgrade or switch to another 3D program, if the talk about LW’s impending demise is to be believed.

Well, found some time to try a fresh install and the blank sub menu issue is still there in LW 2018… looks like it’s time to upgrade or switch to another 3D program, if the talk about LW’s impending demise is to be believed.

What talk are you referring to ? I've not heard or read anything myself.

Thanks

Would anyone here consider form•Z as an option if you needed to change software ?

Depends a LOT on your needs. If you can clarify your answer there a bit, I might be able to answer better.

formZ doesn't include RenderZone plugin by default, RZ's a added-cost option, and rendering output in native formZ is extremely limited without that, Vray or Maxwell, plugins. In terms of modeling, it's obviously more focused around CSG/NURBS work, but has a decent set of poly & sub-d tools as well, so potentially good in that regard. Never really played with animation in formZ, so can't comment there at all.

Also depends whether you're talking current formZ (v9) or an earlier version, and which edition.

On the Mac I am thinking Cinema 4D is probably going to be to go to, but it depends on what you do as jwiede stated. if you do a lot of After Effects, then Cinema4D is kind of a no brainer. However, trying to use Cinema4D always makes me cringe in fear. I am just too accustomed to how LW Modeler and Layout works. I have been doing stuff with Element 3D in After Effects. Really easy to export OBJs and then get them shaded inside Element 3D. You can even export OBJ sequences (with a LW plugin) which also work.

I have raised a support ticket. Maybe we should push Newtek for a definitive statement about this since as Mac users we could render our LW installations useless by upgrading and we have no idea what hardware is now capable of running LW.

"Please could your let me know if the current LW2020.2 release is certified for use with MacOS Big Sur on Intel hardware and if not when I can expect a new release that is.

Secondly could you also let me know if the current release of LW2020.2 is certified for use on Apple's M1 hardware, with Rosetta emulation.

Finally could you give an indication of when I can expect a new Mac release that is compatible with MacOS Big Sur running on M1 hardware in native mode.

Thank you."

Back