FX Monkey

Original1

Old Lightwavin' hand
FX monkey seems not to be working on my system.

Specifically the motions do not seem to be adding themselves to the object.

By the way will FX MONKEY work with VT[4]?

I got the Monkey to work on a VT3 system by pointing the LW content directory to the Monkeys.

That is only if you backed up the LW content before adding patch 3(4909) to the VT3. If not, then the patch erased them.

I could never get FXmonkey working on my VT[3], either.

But, you might as well not bother, as FXmonkey is NOT a part of VT[4].

FXmonkey is dead, time to forget about it and move on.

It was a good idea, though, too bad Newtek couldn't make it work.

There should be a forthcoming product called LogoFX that you can buy from the company that brings you 3D Arsenal.

Forgive my ignorance, but what did FXMonkey do for VT??
havent gotten mine yet but I am a lurker .
Doesnt Bobt's LWConnect add a ton of cool stuff to VT??

The monkey is/was a LW wizard of sorts. It worked within LW itself.
You loaded your object, usually a logo, picked from a list of premade 'fly in paths' a resting position, a 'fly out' path and the durations.
The monkey did the rest connecting your fly in, rest, fly out paths.

Bobs LW connect integrates LW and the VT Editor.It works from the timeline.
You select from a list of premade lightwave scenes. The scenes will have surfaces that correspond to layers on the timeline. Depending on which layer of the timeline you place your footage, it will map that layer onto the surface of the LW scene. Render the scene and place on the timeline all without leaving the editor or officially starting LW.

http://www.toastergarage.com/lwconnect/

But wait....is it really dead??

Quote from Paul Lara response, posted on the VTNT Yahoo group on 10-15-04.

">> Dan, asking about fxMONKEY, asked:

> any idea about when?

Not at the moment, Dan. I have spoken with the LightWave team about scooting
this up on their to-do list.

Paul"

jbcaro :D

I tried again last night, and the monkey still worked. This is after repointing the LW content directory to the Monkey, so for some it may still work.

Bites it doesn't work for all.

>Doesnt Bobt's LWConnect add a ton of cool stuff to VT??
YES it does :)

Yeah I know its my pushing my own stuff but what can I say
I really think its COOL.

LWConnect is like FXMonkey except it uses the Teds timeline
as video/visual input to create COOL eyecandy.

Bob

Bobt said:
And theres lots more stuff.
Use plain jane PNG with alpha channel on the TED timeline and
you get what you see above using LWConnect. :D

Bob

Is that in VT[3] as well as VT[4]?

VT[3] doesn't like Targas on the main TED timeline

BTW bob I solved the issue on my System of it always returning an illegal value.
It appears to do that when you don't have any layers in TED. might be an idea to have a thread outlining that.

Plus I mananged to crash my system whenever I select VE_splinepluginpanel whilst in Edit properties for LWConnect. Is this a VT thing? or a LWconnect thing
:eek:

(ME: "Doctor it hurts when I do this "
Doctor: "Don't do it then")

:D

Great Tool by the way

Last edited:
>Is that in VT[3] as well as VT[4]?
Yes T3 or T4.
LW 7.5c or LW 8.0
I just upgraded to T4 and LW8 yesterday.
There are a couple of COOL things you cant do with LW7.5
like cloth and shatter DVE's but all the text all the time no problemo.

Bob

Eugene is right. It's not the same.

You (someone) has to prepare a scene, first, before one can take advantage of it. In that vein, they are the same. The diff comes in their having a panel for some controls in LW. We don't have that, yet.

Definitely not replacements for each other. But if FX monkey was working, one could use it as background generator for any lwconnect scene.

Thank you Robert, that's my point. I don't want this thread being hijacked for a different product that serves a different use.

FXmonkey was a logo object based system for logo LW scene creation that was and could be VERY powerful.

As it is now, my only hope for a replacement for it is the forthcoming Logo Factory, which I haven't heard anything about in a while. :(

Jim_C said:
I tried again last night, and the monkey still worked. This is after repointing the LW content directory to the Monkey, so for some it may still work.

Bites it doesn't work for all.

That seems to solve the problem on my system although I haven't played with it to check that all the functionality is working.

Am I giviing to understand that FX Monkey No longer ships with VT[4]?

If support across the builds is patchy, Paul could you clarify what works and what doesn't and post a Sticky Tech support note. Or could it be bundled up as a downloadable add on for registered users

Back