Fantasia - The Rite of Spring - Dinosaur sequence

Axis3d

Lightwave User Since 1990
I've been working on a personal side project. The movie, Fantasia (1940), has always fascinated me. Especially the dinosaur sequence. I marvel at what the animators were able to accomplish during that period of cel-animation. I have started on my own version, paying homage to the original artists. I'm working on it in the style of cel-animation, instead of photoreal CGI. There's also another short clip based on an earlier scene in Fantasia. All shots are finished, but the sequence is not. All 3D work made with Lightwave. Compositing in After Effects.
Thanks to @Shabazzy and @Kaptive for coaxing/reminding me into posting this.
Enjoy.

Oh man, this is going to be so good when it's done. I love how the dinosaur sequence looks like it's done on twos instead of ones. I gives it a much more authentic 2D feel to the animation.

And you demonstrate the 12 principles of animation flawlessly in the first one.

My only criticism is that they finish TOO QUICKLY!!

I WANT MORE!!!

NOW!!!

Oh man, this is going to be so good when it's done. I love how the dinosaur sequence looks like it's done on twos instead of ones. I gives it a much more authentic 2D feel to the animation.

And you demonstrate the 12 principles of animation flawlessly in the first one.

My only criticism is that they finish TOO QUICKLY!!

I WANT MORE!!!

NOW!!!
Haha. Thanks, Shabazzy. I wish I could do a lot more on it too. Getting the models and rigging everything is what takes the longest to do. I actually animate pretty fast, it’s all the setup that takes so long.

and thanks for noticing the frame rate. It is animated at 24 fps, but in AE, I change the frame rate to 12 fps. I’ve studied the original film and have noticed that, on some shots, the backgrounds will be moving at 24fps and the cel animation is moving at 12 fps. I’ve even incorporated that style into a shot or two.

Excellent! The Rite of Spring one will be great when finished, really hope you stick with it!
Really liked the top vid, lovely motions. Very fluid.
Maybe you shoudl call it Fan-Tasia. :)
Do you plan to recreate it, or are you doing a spin on it?.. or adding a twist?
Anyway, thanks for sharing. After you were talking about it earlier, i was wondering how you were approaching it... so it's really good to see it.

Excellent! The Rite of Spring one will be great when finished, really hope you stick with it!
Really liked the top vid, lovely motions. Very fluid.
Maybe you shoudl call it Fan-Tasia. :)
Do you plan to recreate it, or are you doing a spin on it?.. or adding a twist?
Anyway, thanks for sharing. After you were talking about it earlier, i was wondering how you were approaching it... so it's really good to see it.
Fan-Tasia. Love that!

Honestly, I started out making a shot-for-shot recreation. With lots of differences, obviously. But maybe I’ll have the stegosaurus win the fight instead, who knows. I’ll be lucky to get to that point.😁

Back