Exporting 1080 for Vimeo

travisr

Multimedia Magician
I have SpeedEdit2, and love it. But whenever I export a 1080 file for sharing online, it looks really blocky. I need a nice clean video to be able to share.

At the moment, I'm exporting as a 1920x1080 mp4 and have even increased the bit rate to 100,000. I don't expect I need more than 20,000, but man these results are poor.

Is there a way to export using a H.264 codec? Is there another approach I should consider. I see an uncompressed BG@24 codec... which I imagine would produce a huge file, and I'm not sure Vimeo would accept it.

Basically, I'm looking for great 1080 output quality that isn't NewTek specific. SpeedEditHQ is awesome, but nobody else can view it.

Please help with any suggestions. Thanks!

I have SpeedEdit2, and love it. But whenever I export a 1080 file for sharing online, it looks really blocky. I need a nice clean video to be able to share.

At the moment, I'm exporting as a 1920x1080 mp4 and have even increased the bit rate to 100,000. I don't expect I need more than 20,000, but man these results are poor.

Is there a way to export using a H.264 codec? Is there another approach I should consider. I see an uncompressed BG@24 codec... which I imagine would produce a huge file, and I'm not sure Vimeo would accept it.

Basically, I'm looking for great 1080 output quality that isn't NewTek specific. SpeedEditHQ is awesome, but nobody else can view it.

Please help with any suggestions. Thanks!

You have to go into the custom settings. Change the bitrate, which may be 300 to 5000 or 6000.

I did that. Multiple times. I even went up to 100,000. Still big blocks.

I just tried to export a quicktime movie (instead of an mp4), and found the H.264 codec. But it won't allow me to adjust the bitrate settings...

Hey Travis,

I have never had good luck exporting to mp4 from SE. I always have to render to avi as Speed HQ or DV Type 2 as a master. Then transcode to mp4 using either MPEG Streamclip or HandBrake. Long way around the barn to the front door, but SE's mp4 codec is foobar.

Ultimately, after much trial and error, I got decent results exporting to Quicktime H.264. I can't adjust the bitrate (which is weird), but the output is acceptable. I can export terrific mp4 at 540. But now I can export pretty decent 1080 as a Quicktime too.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I think I found the best solution available.

Yep, perfect for HD Vimeo and other online distribution:

RENDER SETTINGS: Quicktime (*.mov)

PRESET SETTINGS:

MPEG 4 Codec - Min bitrate: 18,000 - Average bitrate: 25,000 - Max bitrate: 30,000 (single pass only, double pass will crash the software)
1920 x 1080 Pixels
16:9 Aspect Ratio (Boxed)
Progressive fields

Audio: Uncompressed PCM (128 kbps), 48kHz, 16bit stereo

Seriously, after tons of experimentation, this is the absolute best results for exporting 1080 HD video that can be shared cross-platform (like Vimeo of youtube).

Great tip there Travis.

I remember that when I wanted to render for online distribution with SE I decided to install the xvid codec and use that to deliver some excellent results.

I elected to go that way because I wanted something reliable that delivered great quality and was open source. I also didn't want to use any Apple based products. :tsktsk:

Rendering stuff

Great tip there Travis.

I remember that when I wanted to render for online distribution with SE I decided to install the xvid codec and use that to deliver some excellent results.

I elected to go that way because I wanted something reliable that delivered great quality and was open source. I also didn't want to use any Apple based products. :tsktsk:

I pretty much only use the SE rendering engine to export AVI and when I do I use the GoPro Cineform codec which is much better than the Newtek AVI codecs in regards to picture quality. You can get that codec by downloading the free GoPro Studio software from their site.

I use this for MP4/MPEG2 export
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw6.html

You could use the frameserver (AVI wrapper) in SpeedEdit to forward your project to TMPGenc and bypass having to render an AVI out... If you have a recent Nividia card (960 and up) you can also speed up your rendering speed tremendously in TMPGenc by using your GPU to encode your h.264/h.265 files by using the NVENC option in TMPGenc

I pretty much only use the SE rendering engine to export AVI and when I do I use the GoPro Cineform codec which is much better than the Newtek AVI codecs in regards to picture quality. You can get that codec by downloading the free GoPro Studio software from their site.

I use this for MP4/MPEG2 export
http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw6.html

You could use the frameserver (AVI wrapper) in SpeedEdit to forward your project to TMPGenc and bypass having to render an AVI out... If you have a recent Nividia card (960 and up) you can also speed up your rendering speed tremendously in TMPGenc by using your GPU to encode your h.264/h.265 files by using the NVENC option in TMPGenc

Another great tip.

Back