Export settings

Tony R

I can’t believe I am posting something in 2021. Anyway, I have a bunch of projects that I rendered to .RTV and have no way of playing them so I decided to install my old version of SE and export them out as avi. I noticed that things didn’t look right. One file, which was about 48 minutes took about six hours to render to ,avi. Fast moving stuff had weird lines, almost like an interlace problem. The original is 720x480 and was most likely interlaced and shown on old tube TVs. I may have chose progressive mode. Should I have used interlaced instead. I don’t mind trial and error but these are so long that I will need to wait many hours to see the results.

Wow, I can't believe I'm offering help on a software tool I haven't used in a fair few years.

If you are experiencing interlace combing then that usually means that the video field order is not in sync with the display (usually a TV). This could be due to the display being a progressive display or set to progressive mode or just that the display is hard wired to a particular field order (i.e., odd first).

In today's world, I personally feel that unless the project is intended for television, the safest bet is to shoot, edit and deliver in progressive mode.

In your case I would have that intention in mind and would check the original files to see whether they are interlace or progressive. If they are interlace then I would check the field order to ensure they are the same as my display unit. I would then convert them to progressive and work with that.

To test the footage I would only create my tests from a small section of the timeline. Not the whole timeline. I'd check various points in the footage to check that I'm not getting any combing, that my progressive conversions are looking and working fine, and that the progressive test clips are working the same on as many displays and streaming platforms as possible.

When I'm happy with the settings, I'd then render out the full timeline (and then get some sleep).

However, to be honest, I probably wouldn't do too many conversions using SpeedEDIT. I'd probably just use SpeedEDIT do a straight conversion from .RTV to an intermediary file format like ProRES or some other lossless format. Then bring that intermediary file into something like DaVinci Resolve and do the conversions followed by the final lossy versions (.avi, .mov, .mp4, etc) using that or some other tool.

Thanks. I tried a small segment again and used progressive and it looked great. I just wanted to archive a bunch of RTVs so that I would be able to play them in the future without having to install SE. I don’t see any way to output to pro res so I chose 4:2:2 uncompressed .AVI. I also tried one of the compressed formats but it left too many artifacts. I’m just gonna output them all uncompressed and delete all the RTV files. I gotta admit that being inside SE brought back so nice memories. I mastered it and it was gone just as soon.

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Yes, SE was a great tool. I still miss it's speedy editing capabilities. Although I now use a more modern editor, there are things that I know can be done in SE SOOOOO much quicker and easier.

Ho hum, that's life I guess.

Back