driving morphs based on null direction

I'm in a situation where I need a tyre shape to inflate in areas until it is completely inflated. I thought about driving a morph with a null, but I guess I need a second null to inflate only the portions I want to "blow up"? In effect, this isn't for a tyre really, I want to simulate a weld being made, it's just in a ring.

Thanks for any ideas.

B

Hmm. My first thought is not to use a morph, but to make a section of weld fillet, (to whatever size /scale is appropriate for your animation), clone it into a suitable size circular array, then use DP kit Part Move to move them in turn from a hidden position under cover of the welding arc.

Funnily enough, that's what I did, but with instancing and the client doesn't like that he can see the lines of the separated parts. So I wanted to use the morph idea to make the geometry intact so that smoothing would work across it. I just wanted to have a more organic look to it, but even if the morph could proceed around the circle, rather than being all at once, that would be good.

B

Funnily enough, that's what I did, but with instancing and the client doesn't like that he can see the lines of the separated parts. So I wanted to use the morph idea to make the geometry intact so that smoothing would work across it. I just wanted to have a more organic look to it, but even if the morph could proceed around the circle, rather than being all at once, that would be good.

B

Here is an example a morph being animated with nulls. Maybe something like this could work:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread...omplish-this&p=1420701&viewfull=1#post1420701

You could use a morph along bones and add textured displacement to the bones ( or just a few )
and as the morph grows it bumps ( and lumps ) as the circle is created.

Hope it helps :)

Back