Dp custom lights, crashing when enabling visible to camera.

prometheus

REBORN
was just testing DP lights, on a simple toroid, once selected as the custom dp light, and checking visible to camera.
Lightwave 2019.1.3
Windows.
DP Light versions for LW2018->2019

Crashes all the time, if vpr is activated, or with f9 render without vpr.

Been awhile, but think that's a known issue, or at least there are issues with DP lights.

Been awhile, but think that's a known issue, or at least there are issues with DP lights.
Missed your answer here..for over 4 days sort of.

Yep, Denis is fantastic and great, unfortunately it´s not only light´s that is crashing, often his textures as well..so there´s something there.
Can´t complain too much you know, he gives these things out for free.

Just say'in - his lights are not really needed in LW2018 +.
I don´t think he would have made it for LW2018, if they didn´t bring anything different than the standard lights to the table it stands on.
the options and the way it renders light is different from what the standard light´s can acheive.

Simply put, if they aren´t needed, he wouldn´t have bothered updating them to LW 2018 and up, there simple wouldn´t be a need for it.

I don´t think he would have made it for LW2018, if they didn´t bring anything different than the standard lights to the table it stands on.
the options and the way it renders light is different from what the standard light´s can acheive.

Simply put, if they aren´t needed, he wouldn´t have bothered updating them to LW 2018 and up, there simple wouldn´t be a need for it.
Do they really add anything different or new though? Older LW versions they were really important, but it seems that 2018 took care of the lighting shortcomings. I'd really like to know. (y)

Do they really add anything different or new though? Older LW versions they were really important, but it seems that 2018 took care of the lighting shortcomings. I'd really like to know. (y)
check his site, of course..a logic would be..if he made updates for 2018, there must be something different in how it renders, shadows, speed etc...if not..why would he even bother updating?

or below...
Flood.gif

DP Flood
-DP Flood is a Light plugin which looks like the LW Spotlight,
with raytraced soft shadows.

-Select "Square" (faster), "Disk" or "HemiSpherical" area shape,
distribution of samples are different and modify the quality of ray-traced soft-shadows.

-Adjust "Diameter" parameter for soft shadows.

-"Shadow Map" type (pre-2018 versions) works with samples like "Ray Trace" type to project soft shadows
based on Flood diameter, using a double depth map, it is slower than the classic shadow map,
but it is closer to the true raytraced softshadows .
Object properties, object exclusion and other shadow options are not available with
this shadow type.

Chair_RT.jpg
Chair_VSM.jpg
Ray Trace Shadows
Mapped Shadows
-DP Flood Light uses current LW Spotlight ConeAngle and EdgeAngle channels.
It uses also the Falloff and Range parameters in the Light panel.

-"Projection Image" works like in classic LW Spotlight, except that the
image is blurred proportionaly to the diameter of the DP Flood Light.

-A "Blur Amount" can be applied to the projected image, and "Focus Distance"
is the distance from the light where the image is not blurred at all,
the blur size is also affected by the "Diameter" of the light shape. Add a Null and this LW Expression to the Focus Distance:
vmag( Null.wpos(Time)- Light.wpos(Time))
replace "Null" and "Light" by their real name.

DP Infinite
-DP Infinite is a Light plugin which looks like the LW Distant Light but with soft shadows.

distribution of samples are different and modify the quality of ray-traced soft-shadows.

-Adjust "Angle" parameter for soft shadows, with this parameter softness of shadows
are not dependant of the Infinite Light distance.

-DP Infinite Light has no caustics.

DP Face
-DP Face is a Light plugin which always faces to the surface, it produces lighting
similar to a Spherical Light.

-The light position can be modified but modifying its rotation has no consequence.

-DP Face Light uses also the Falloff and Range parameters in the Light panel.

Face_Light.jpg

DP Tube
-DP Tube is a Light plugin which always faces to the surface but with an Y axis constrain,
this is a fake tube.

-Slower than the Linear Light but with a diameter, a bit slower than a static Area Light.

-Adjust diameter and length, modify the orientation of the DP Tube Light with the current Layout rotation tool.

-DP Tube Light uses also the Falloff and Range parameters in the Light panel.

tube_Light.jpg

DP Web
-DP Web is a Light plugin which takes photometric data of a luminary stored in a
IES, EULUMDAT or CIBSE industry-standard file, to simulate a physical light,
by reproducing the luminous distribution of the luminary.

-A lot of lighting data can be freely downloaded on Light Manufacturer sites,
with some other descriptions of the luminaries.

-Compatible with all IES type file: A, B or most currently C.

IESNA (IES format): "Standard File Format for Electronic Transfer of Photometric
Data and Related Information".

EULUMDAT (LDT format): "European Data Format for Exchange of Luminaire Data".

CIBSE (TMS format): "Standard File Format for the Electronic Transfer of Luminaire
Photometric Data".

ERCO_34000000.gif
'ERCO 1xQT12-ax_50W' 3D model + IES web.

-The Light Emitter is the light shape, could be a single point if dimensions are null
or a 2D/3D shape, illuminated and photons samples are emitted from this shape except
if samples number is set to 0 or 1, in this case even Light shapes are evaluated
as point emitter.

-In some files (see CIBSE note) the luminary dimensions are used instead of the true
luminous opening shape which should be generaly smaller, but the regular scaling
layout tool can be used to rescale of the light to something around 80%, depends
of the luminary description. -The light illumination decay follows the physical light's inverse-square falloff law.

-The current regular LW Light Intensity is used as an intensity multiplier.

-Since Lamp Color is optionaly defined in luminary files, the light color must be
input by user.

-The Light Color can be the regular LW Light Color or a Color Temperature from a
Lamp List or a Kelvin input, the kelvin color conversion is related to the Indoor/Outdoor
Kelvin reference.

This Color is always multiplied by LW Color, so for pure Color Temperature,
LW Color should be white, or it will alterate the result like a colored cellophane.

Photometric with rectangle or disk luminous shape are often Y oriented, it can be
re-oriented in the Z+ Direction, for correct Motion Targeting.
In case of double sided shape, the face with the max intensity is aligned to Z+.

Web_Preview.gif
-The top preview of the panel shows a
YZ plane illuminated by the normalized
luminous distribution, by selecting and
dragging with the mouse in this region,
it is possible to change the preview plane,
vary the plane distance, also zoom in or
zoom out in this plane.

Note: the (?) symbol in CIBSE Preview means that the file has no defined base shape,
so the luminous opening is approximated with the luminary dimensions which is often
larger.

-The Graph/Polar diagram included in the panel shows the normalized luminous intensity
distribution, with vertical angles variation, at four horizontal angles (0°,90°,180°,270°).

Web_Gizmo.jpg
The Light Gizmo web displays the normalized
luminous intensity distribution as a 3D
goniometric diagram, which can be resized in
the Handler Icon Size tab of the Display Panel
or disabled in the Light panel, the opening area
icon will always stay unvaried (world coordinates).

References :
-IESNA LM-63 Photometric Data Module
by Ian Ashdown, P. Eng.(1995-1998 byHeart Consultants Limited).
-EULUMDAT Photometric Data Module
Jan Hollan, N.Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium.
-CIBSE TM14:1988 Photometric Data Module
Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers.
-Photometry to a table
by Mathias Paulin.
-Convert IES luminary data to Radiance description
by Greg Ward
-Kelvin or wavelength to RGB converter
by Teemu Makinen

DP Dome
-DP Dome is a Light plugin which works like an occlusion shader.

dome_transparency.gif

-A choice between Hemispherical or Spherical shape for Dome.

-"Use Spot Normal" option is recommended for better lighting and shadows.
however some 3rd party shaders doesn't provide this normal to light and quality render
could be heterogeneous, in this case it should be disabled.
With Unified Sampling, you may need to increase the global "Light Sample" in LW
with one light sample only you will notice Anti-Aliasing artefacts.

-The maximum 90° Angle gives softer shadows (full hemisphere sampling), if it is decreased shadows are more concentrated (cone sampling), works only with "Use Spot Normal".

-With Occlusion mode, Dome Light has no access to all Lightwave shadows options like
shadow transparency, exclude object etc, in this mode a Limit parameter allows excluding
far occluder from shadow testing. -DP Dome Light shadow/occlusion effect is visible in the shadow buffer.

shadowbuffer.gif

-Optionnal "Projection Mapping", "Backdrop" the viewable background of the scene,
or "Image" a separate image available in the Image Editor, with access to correction
parameters to modify the image color.

-For a sky Image Map only without ground, check the "Hemispheric" option under
Image Projection Mapping, of course the "Hemispherical" sampling option should be checked too.

-The Image is mapped in DP Dome like in Texture Environment with Spherical Mapping.

importance_sampling.jpg

-"Importance Sampling" option for Background and Image Mapping, with HDR or LDR image,
gives better lighting and shadows but grainy so slower to render (or use a Denoiser in 2018+).
In DP Light 11, it is recommended to use this in conjonction with LW Unified Sampling
and a few Light Samples.

-The color cast by the Dome Light is always multiplied by LW Color, so to keep the
Backdrop Color unalterated, LW Color should be white.

-DP Dome Light has no caustics.

-The Sphere/Dome opengl icon is purely symbolic, it can't be moved or rotated and
its shape and size is not related to the light parameter.

grounddome.jpg
skydome.jpg

DP Custom
-DP Custom is a Light plugin which turns an object geometry into an Area Light.

-Select an object in the list, if you don't select an object in the scene ("none")
you can select a filename which will only be scanned for this Custom Light,
but not loaded in the scene.

Custom_Light1a.gif
Custom_Light1b.jpg
Custom_Light2a.gif
Custom_Light2b.jpg

animated_Light.gif
-With an object selected in the scene, the light can inherit
animated mesh displacement with "After Deformation"
checked, be aware with heavy geometry because a new mesh
scan will be processed each new time.
"After Deformation" works also with an Object Replacement
plugin.

-Be aware if you want to transform a 2D Shape into a 3D Shape,
since they have different light distribution and intensity
values, 2D Shape should a small thickness to be assimilated
as a 3D Shape for smooth lighting animation.

-"CosineAngle" distribution decrease sample intensity with the angle defined by the light-normal
and the light-ray, mainly for 2D shape, its effect is moderated for 3D shape to avoid too much noisy lighting.

-A full 3D geometry like a sphere or with double-sided polygons should have a double number
of samples because they are distributed on the whole geometry but only the facing samples will send light rays which have a chance to reach object surfaces.

-Complex geometry need a lot of samples, triangulated mesh could be also better for sampling
n-gons or non-planar polygons.

-About the DP Custom Light internal intensity conversion:
For a 2D area, PI (Watt/Str) = 100% LW Intensity.
-The color set in the plugin is always multiplied by LW Color, so for pure Colour Temperature,
LW Color should be white.

custom_nodal.jpg
-DP Custom Light has a Node Editor with Color and Intensity
inputs, allowing basic projection effects with 2D/3D textures,
image or procedurals, and controls.

-Nodal Color will overwrite Colour Temp parameters.
-Nodal Intensity is a multiplier for the "Intensity" panel parameter.
-A SpotInfo node (in DP Kit/ Lights folder) output the position
of the spot in world coordinate and its distance to the light.

-DP Custom Light uses also the Falloff and Range parameters in the Light panel.

I know folks mean well, but to TALK about the differences in lights is like like, ... trying to TELL someone what a rhubarb-strawberry pie tastes like.

Kinda silly if ya think about it.

And since I just have oodles of time, and light is kinda my bailiwick, perhaps a series of more revealing comparisons is in order.

I can't recall which of Denis's lights I had problems with, & it may have been something basic to LW that was conflicting, so I hope to uncover that too.

For now, I've started with the DP Tube to the LW Linear. Mirrored them on the X but otherwise matched them as best you can with the param differences for intensity, samples, etc..

As you can see, you CAN'T tell the differences until it strikes an object. A basic tenet of light physics.

I'll try to work up the rest in the next day or so.

DP vs LW Linear.jpg

Look at the edging on the face, the spec kicks off the podium, ...

Nice of you to do some work here with comparisons, but...you should really use a figure that is symmetrical in geometry and surfacing.
Replace the thinker with someone making a pose that is balanced :)
otherwise your only option to properly judge any lighting will be limited to the podium, and not even that since the figure itself would block light differently.

Nah. The podium is. That's enough really.

Interesting to see the two types compared when set as much the same as possible. And I've not come across whatever the issue was either that made me not use them.

And someone, anyone, could have, SHOULD have done something like this years ago.

And that's Stan, btw. Stan Dinn. Recently added a bone so his name tag now works with any posing.

Nah. The podium is. That's enough really.

Interesting to see the two types compared when set as much the same as possible. And I've not come across whatever the issue was either that made me not use them.

And someone, anyone, could have, SHOULD have done something like this years ago.

And that's Stan, btw. Stan Dinn. Recently added a bone so his name tag now works with any posing.
I beg to differ, with other objects obscuring the podium differently in terms of how it both cast shadows, and reflect light, you can not expect to get exact the same lighting on the podium either, you have upset the equalibrium in the 3D lighting universe, chaos is to be expected with your testing.. though you may not see it that way..until it really hits you someday, so better to make sure there isn´t any anomality initially that could cause that. :p and why not..is it too much work or too hard to change the pose?
of course, you do as you please..but the testing case will not hold up enough.

also..you miss one important aspect doing it this way, render times, you need to separate the setups and compare rendertimes, you can not do that with this kind of setup, unless turning of the acitivity of each light for two separate renders.

I was about to check denis site again, but ..to my surprise he seem to have some restrictions right now, with logins.
Which got me to wonder, I surely hope my copying of the descriptions of his lights here on the forums isn´t any cause of that.
Any thoughts on that? or if Denis himself jumps in..I will remove it and beg you pardon for it.

I beg to differ, with other objects obscuring the podium differently in terms of how it both cast shadows, and reflect light, you can not expect to get exact the same lighting on the podium either, you have upset the equalibrium in the 3D lighting universe, chaos is to be expected with your testing.. though you may not see it that way..until it really hits you someday, so better to make sure
You don't go to the theatre much, do you? ;)
But I had lots of help upsetting the universe. More to come. Pucker up!

there isn´t any anomality initially that could cause that. :p and why not..is it too much work or too hard to change the pose?
of course, you do as you please..but the testing case will not hold up enough.
No, poses are easy to change w/ the Animation Toolbox. But I don't think I've any that are bland & symmetrical. Might as well but in a torus or capsule.

But, OK. Does this satisfy your Scandinavian minimalist aesthetic?

DP Flood vs LW Spot Wide Minimalist Art.jpg
also..you miss one important aspect doing it this way, render times, you need to separate the setups and compare rendertimes, you can not do that with this kind of setup, unless turning of the acitivity of each light for two separate renders.

I need to? Moi? Nay. I'll leave that for others with WAY more anal retentive natures.

I was about to check denis site again, but ..to my surprise he seem to have some restrictions right now, with logins.
Which got me to wonder, I surely hope my copying of the descriptions of his lights here on the forums isn´t any cause of that.
Any thoughts on that? or if Denis himself jumps in..I will remove it and beg you pardon for it.

No, I was just there today

No, poses are easy to change w/ the Animation Toolbox. But I don't think I've any that are bland & symmetrical. Might as well but in a torus or capsule.

But, OK. Does this satisfy your Scandinavian minimalist aesthetic?

View attachment 155980

I need to? Moi? Nay. I'll leave that for others with WAY more anal retentive natures.
the banana is causing rendering errors..eat it and try again.

No, I was just there today
Yes..it didn´t work when I visited..so for you at a different time and space is just irrelevant for me, it was you that was there on a time I wasn´t there, so it didn´t help at that time😁 ..

and I was busy eating🍌 Like a 🐒
but after finishing the🍌 I found that the glitch is now over, Denis probably made some changes and restricted access during that time I would guess.
Maybe he is updating his DP Lights to not crash, of course..it must be it🧠

Nope..no theaters.
Daz studio has symmetrical poses out of the box, just add shorts or a leaf to cover the nature parts, you do not want to put those parts in to the spotlights 😁

Back