ChatGPT + LScript

excerpt from “autoSewer.ls” © by Kevman.png

so, certainly possible to learn a bit from this for a newbie,
and pretty darn good for ChatGPT version 1.0

so, certainly possible to learn a bit from this for a newbie,
and pretty darn good for ChatGPT version 1.0

It is not a good idea to try to learn scripting from ChatGPT.
It is unable to calculate. It can output calculations that were present in its training data. If the calculation did not exist, it cannot calculate it either. It fails at multiplications of multi-digit numbers, even at the addition of larger numbers.

It cannot solve logical problems if they were not in the data sets. It fails at logical problems that 10 year old kids can solve.
Sorry, no mind, no interligence at all. This is not surprising when you look at how language models work.

If you roughly understand language models, you can also see why facts are wrong if there is no data basis. The method is based on statistical predictions of what the following words most likely are. That is, if the correct answer was not found in the training data, you will get a wrong (but correct-looking) answer. Not exactly ideal for a beginner who can't see that.

There have already been some attempts to have ChatGPT programs written. Many are simply buggy, just strewn together according to the language model. This applies in particular to a scripting language like LScript, which is certainly not one of the most common due to its special use.

This makes it very difficult, if not impossible to create really new programs that work.

It is (obviously) similar to the diffusion models for imaging. If you roughly understand the process, it immediately becomes clear that the creation of these images has nothing to do with the process of living beings called creativity.

We still don't have a comprehensive understanding of how the brain works. Therefore, it is difficult to predict whether today's approaches to AI will ever lead to something similar or not. What is clear, however, is that current programs lack any kind of intelligence, understanding or creativity. I don't mean the intelligence and creativity that some programmers put into creating it.

I think it will take some time before the hype cools down and people understand what's really going on here. Then you will be able to use the strengths of this models sensibly (on the less sensational side, there are already applications that use these models practically).

However, it's nice to try stuff like this and show it off.

ciao
Thomas

yes, AI 2022 does have major hiccups.

Remember, this is version 1.
a new ChatGPT release is out this spring !

Blender scripts have already been made.

yes, AI 2022 does have major hiccups.

Remember, this is version 1.
a new ChatGPT release is out this spring !

A language model is already incapable of calculating and solving logical tasks by design. If you don't integrate other software, such a language model will never be able to calculate. We already know such software, it's called calculator. ;) On the other hand, there is no software that actually masters logic.

Blender scripts have already been made.

Do you know these scripts? Everything I've seen (and that worked) was sampled snippets that already exist.

So what you get is a kind of search result (like from a search engine) with the uncertainty of whether it works at all. And with the guarantee that it is free of truly new solutions.
This is not to say that an experienced programmer can use ChatGPT (like a better search engine) to search for snippets.

ciao
Thomas

Why not teach AI to learn Lightwave, the basics, including firing up LS commander to record processes and adjust code after if needed, even a newbie human can do that.
:)

Would be a little fun though, if AI could (instead of producing a mesh model based on imagery) actually learn to use a 3D software to model, start with a basic cup with a handle etc.
Then have it all recorded to see what tools and commands are used, would be fun..though not practical perhaps.

there are of course limits at the moment.
God wasn't made in 7 days.
ChatGPT, the new version, will be out this spring.
and some people will continue to complain about its lacks / shortcomings.

sampled snippets that already exist.
it does do a lot of that.
like we all do when writing scripts.

if you're having a "but ChatGPT isn't truely smart" argument.
what can i say,... I agree, and there are plenty of Youtube videos you can comment on.

is there enough lscript content out there for it to work with? A lot of stuff is now in wayback.

Have you tried putting it in DAN mode and seeing what it generates?

Last edited:

future Ai will be able to do it, i'm sure.

lots of open code lscripts available.
way less LW python scripts.

lscript is by itself limited tho'
and slow.

a LightWave .p plugin is far more sexy / powerful,
but will probably be 20 years for Ai to manage that.

even then, you'd often have to explain the Ai what math to use.
not task for a newbie.

but i can see GPT writing simple lscripts in the near future.
just like it can write autohotkey scripts now. (AHK)

I had a crack at this, even in DAN mode. Just makes scripts with syntax errors even though it does recognise lscript and lightwave.

Back