Can this effect be replicated in LW (Gravity mist particle fx on solar panels)

Have you been able to do more tests in embergen?

No test in the case of atmospheric re-entry, I was in some pain at the dentist for some hour early this morning( cost for the dentist hurts as well)
then had to sleep a bit, then I got caught up with experimenting with solar flares in Embergen, which currently interests me a bit more.
I need to verify embergen camera matching and some other stuff.

I also got some other things to do these upcoming days, so I have to give it a rest for some days, maybe next week.

No test in the case of atmospheric re-entry, I was in some pain at the dentist for some hour early this morning( cost for the dentist hurts as well)
then had to sleep a bit, then I got caught up with experimenting with solar flares in Embergen, which currently interests me a bit more.
I need to verify embergen camera matching and some other stuff.

I also got some other things to do these upcoming days, so I have to give it a rest for some days, maybe next week.
Cool, you should post some videos when you get it done.

Dentists eh? We pay so they can inflict pain. Eat some ice-cream hehe

Not from me, but just some basics..easy to follow..there are loads of other free tutes out there as well.
Still no time to showcase solar flares on youtube, not until middle of the next week I think.

Not from me, but just some basics..easy to follow..there are loads of other free tutes out there as well.
Still no time to showcase solar flares on youtube, not until middle of the next week I think.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Still running more sims on phoenix. The having to wait to see the effect it's getting old. This is where embergen shines.

I have phoenixfd in 3dsmax, but want to simplify the process as much as possible by not having to export an alembic or vdb into LW, but instead do it all in LW more naturally. Do you think HVs in 2019-2020 would be able to look anywhere close enough to this? I'd be happy if the particles look 90% as close.

If you had to do the mist/volumetric effect on the solar panels, how would you approach it using LW?

If it doesn't start at the time mark, it begins at the 1:11 minutes
(

(guys, keep it on topic please)
Probably you should be fine using geometry, procedurals textures, and clip maps. If needing something more dynamic you can try adding displacements maps or even bullet dynamics, just paint a weight map where you would need it to be fixed and let it sim ;)

Probably you should be fine using geometry, procedurals textures, and clip maps. If needing something more dynamic you can try adding displacements maps or even bullet dynamics, just paint a weight map where you would need it to be fixed and let it sim ;)
Not as nice..sorry.

Not as nice..sorry.
I disagree with you after seeing the referenced supplied from Planeguy. I would start the VFX using geo, along with procedural textures and clip maps, and if needing more detail or movement add some animated displacement based on procedural techniques.
If even needing more detail, I will bring some bullet dynamics to deform the mesh further. To end with, and only if needed, I will bring some particles in, but I seriously think there are many steps to take before doing a particle approach or even using fluid dynamics.

Hey, thanks for the tips. This was a problem I had months ago haha, but found a solution. I just had better results using phoenix and exported the effect as a .vdb and render it out in LW. Never got around making the animation I had planned to, but the tests provided a ground work to get started from. Cheers

I disagree with you after seeing the referenced supplied from Planeguy. I would start the VFX using geo, along with procedural textures and clip maps, and if needing more detail or movement add some animated displacement based on procedural techniques.
If even needing more detail, I will bring some bullet dynamics to deform the mesh further. To end with, and only if needed, I will bring some particles in, but I seriously think there are many steps to take before doing a particle approach or even using fluid dynamics.

if you have access to embergen or other fluids..you simply will be able to get more realism..if you dont know how yo use it..or no access to such things..the options you refer to will have to do..but there is inherent dynamics in this case..that is almost impossible to get right without particles or fluids.

if you do have access to fluids etc...its just a waste of time using geomtry and procedurals.
heck..you may even be able to pull it off with lightwaves gas solver.

and as planeguy concluded..he got better results with phoenix.

if gas solver is to slow and difficulate, I would just use Lightwave particles, and a lot of compositing blurring and glows, you do not even have to use any hypertextures on lightwaves sprites, keep em extremely small and a lot of particles, use forces or the velocity vectors and fractals on that to create undualations in the particle stream that is colliding, render out one or three passes and add comping effects.

Geometry,not as nice.

Gary Hutzel supervisor for Battlestar galactica..

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the tips. This was a problem I had months ago haha, but found a solution. I just had better results using phoenix and exported the effect as a .vdb and render it out in LW. Never got around making the animation I had planned to, but the tests provided a ground work to get started from. Cheers
Glad you get it working :)
Pitty I didnt see this on time so you can test the techniques I was suggesting, they definetlly can work wonders on the right hands... Maybe for next one worth a test.

if you have access to embergen or other fluids..you simply will be able to get more realism..if you dont know how yo use it..or no access to such things..the options you refer to will have to do..but there is inherent dynamics in this case..that is almost impossible to get right without particles or fluids.

if you do have access to fluids etc...its just a waste of time using geomtry and procedurals.
heck..you may even be able to pull it off with lightwaves gas solver.

and as planeguy concluded..he got better results with phoenix.

if gas solver is to slow and difficulate, I would just use Lightwave particles, and a lot of compositing blurring and glows, you do not even have to use any hypertextures on lightwaves sprites, keep em extremely small and a lot of particles, use forces or the velocity vectors and fractals on that to create undualations in the particle stream that is colliding, render out one or three passes and add comping effects.

Geometry,not as nice.

Gary Hutzel supervisor for Battlestar galactica..
I cannot agree with you, sorry.

The thread was about getting the panels mist/volumetric appearing on the reference video, and for that I would highly recomend trying the techiniques I propose before, and in the same order, as using fluid dynamics would be not needed for such case. Dont forget that knowing how to work with fluid dynamics in any software doesnt mean you should be using it for every type of effect.

Thinking oput of the box too may take you always further... 03:33... Not smoke, nor particles, nor fluid dynamics after all:

Im glad he got it working :)

I cannot agree with you, sorry.

The thread was about getting the panels mist/volumetric appearing on the reference video, and for that I would highly recomend trying the techiniques I propose before, and in the same order, as using fluid dynamics would be not needed for such case. Dont forget that knowing how to work with fluid dynamics in any software doesnt mean you should be using it for every type of effect.

Thinking oput of the box too may take you always further... 03:33... Not smoke, nor particles, nor fluid dynamics after all:

Im glad he got it working :)
You don´t have to agree with me, and that by no means would prove anything other than you disagree, som would agree with you..many would not.
The samples you refer to is not that relevant, its a completely different type of effect that don´t hold that delicate motion needed for high velocity gas movement.
cool at that time, though I also thought it wasn´t reaching a proper smoke density, movement was designed to be controlled, to the fullest, with some fluid tools of today, they could probably, or would probably use something else than that method.

At that time they used basic standard shading with incidence angle gradients, today you could for instance animate it in Lightwave, send that animated "smoke" mesh to blender convert to a volume and use true volume shading with much better density reacting better to light or vertices/geometry intersections than pure shading.

Yeah..geometry, this is also geometry I made many years ago, but with hv´sprites applied, but..it´s a completely different effect, I wouldn´t use any of it for the case we are talking about here, may have to fire up embergen and show some fluid samples later this week, or even use gas solver in native lightwave.

Geometry, and hv sprites, all surface geometry and shading is unseen, this technique yields a proper density mapping when geometry (particles) intersect, unlike the method used for 300 smoke effects..which can´t do that, the problem is that you need to increase subdivisions that much, and if you distort it too much, some gaps in density may show.

So with aconvert mesh to volume in blender for instance.. you could overcome that issue nowadays ..for this kind of effect, you would get a smooth density all over, but could retrieve "partilce" or vertices amount attribute data to get the density shading to be more pronounced where it has more vertices...all that without getting gaps.

Last edited:
Back