Breathing new life into SPEEDEDIT with a RAM DISK

DonJMyers

Studio Animator
Speededit is a great editor but was written in a time of little RAM. SO it really utilizes the hard disk too much. Recently I bought a second 16 gig ram chip giving me 32 gitgs total. I put in a RAM disk (using any of a variety of free programs) in windows 10. I copied my video files from an edit in progress to the ram disk. Then I told speededit to find missing files from the ram disk (in my case disk R:). By renaming my ORIGINAL files folders to something else I tricked speededit into only using the RAM disk.

The results was a massive increase in editing speed AND faster than real time video rendering.

I used this RAM DISK driver: https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/

1. Copy your speededit video files to ram disk
2. Tell speededit to look for missing files in ram disk
3. Rename regular HD video file folders to something else. I put RAM in front of the name.
4. Run SE and load your edit.
5. Speededit runs amazingly fast now!

If you want to get ambitious even point speededit's cache location to the ram disk. Later just rename your hard disk folders back to normal and verify speededit loads them okay.

The ram disk was a little tricky to set up. Some ram disks are not reliable.

Remember RAM disks are volatile so don't save new videos or pics to it. It has to mirror the real physical disk where your data is kept safe.

Back