Blu-ray / HD-DVD production

KTVA

Dear Fellow Professionals,

Happy New Year!

Now that we are able to edit and export HDV, are we able to produce HD DVDs / Blu-ray DVDs in the same machine? I will probably go with Blu-ray for now. Comments?

Does our current Ulead v2.0 (?) support Blu-ray? Is there a preferred Blu-ray authoring software that works with VT[5] AVIs? Will TMPEG work for authoring Blu-ray DVDs? What is the preferred buurner?

Preferred blank disk recommendations? Anything else that I am missing?

Thanks!

Rick

As far as I know, at the moment, the only way (reasonably priced way) is to author and burn via the software that comes bundled with the drive.

Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 Plus for $80, add in the HD Power Pack for $20, and there you go, full HD authoring for $100!

You can't get more reasonable than that.

I believe it is, but for Blu-Ray only.

Of course, good luck finding a HD-DVD burner anyway, so it's a moot point.

I'm surprised that neither the Final Cut Studio 2 nor Vegas Pro 8 & DVD Architect 4.5 offer Blu-Ray authoring yet, but they don't.

I would expect they will for NAB, I really think they have to. Especially when consumer programs can do it for $100.

Of course, that was a year ago, and there are still only limited availability 1X HD-DVD burners out there... Meanwhile, in the same time, Blu-Ray has went through 1X, 2X and are now at 4X burners...

Hi, guys!

I need to produce some HD content *on disc* for display on a 50" lcd screen at a convention. Time to drop for the next-gen burner and software.

So, are there any 'gotchas' i should be aware of before i invest in a Blu-Ray burner in order to make one-off discs of HD video content that will simply play on a consumer Blu-Ray player? Like drm, or forbidden data-disc-only formats for instance?

As an early adopter, i've been stung often enough that i'm more than a little hesitant to jump into this with my expectations very high. Thoughts?

Hi, guys!

I need to produce some HD content *on disc* for display on a 50" lcd screen at a convention. Time to drop for the next-gen burner and software.

So, are there any 'gotchas' i should be aware of before i invest in a Blu-Ray burner in order to make one-off discs of HD video content that will simply play on a consumer Blu-Ray player? Like drm, or forbidden data-disc-only formats for instance?

As an early adopter, i've been stung often enough that i'm more than a little hesitant to jump into this with my expectations very high. Thoughts?

Get an Oppo upconverting DVD player and use SD footage,. Save some $$ and frustration for now and I bet 5 bucks no one would ever know the difference unless you told them.

Just one thought....

Or if playing the HD footage is a must,hook a small PC (or AppleTV) up to the 50" and play straight off the hard drive.

JVC has a player that will play HD mpeg data files off a standard DVD. If your program isn't too long, that should work just fine. I think in only costs about $400.
OK, I just looked it up. The model is: SRDVD-100U, and the MSRP is $399.

Back