Baking Camera - Can you bake one objects surface to another?

SB camera does respect smoothing. I have got mixed smoothed/sharp objects rendered out perfectly.

oh, something you might want to add to your normalcast and surface cast nodes is for the render to the low res alpha channel to be effected by the hig res geometry. this means that if you are making a pipe or car wheel etc, you can make the low res ends of the pipes or sides of the low res car wheels be a single quad. you save poys and when rendered the alpha is used to clip out the unneeded areas at the ends of your cylinder, pipe, tyre etc.

you save a lot of polys on your game modes and your normal mapped object looks no different.

this picture shows what I mean, where you can see that the normal mapped plane is clipped from the hi res geometry to make the links.

chain_Mail08a_%20European6a_samp.jpgffe36224-1928-435a-a989-df1fff33801bLarge.jpg

If you mean seeing a hole from the hi-res geometry
as a zero alpha (transparency) in the baked low-res,
this works with SB alone and (last updated)
Surface Cast node + SB.

Denis.

Last edited:
hi,

yeah I dont seem to be able to get this to work in the normalcast output.

what you want is for the alpha to be black where the rays hit nothing and white where they find geometry to bake from in the normal map render process.

i guess what im getting at is any chance of this sort of feature ? :)

As I said, the last updated Surface Cast node do it
in its transparency channel, so add this node to
the Normal Cast and you should get the transparent/clip
hires geometry in the alpha of the SB, but slower to
render.

Denis.

Using Denis's Surface Cast, Normal Cast, Bump Normal & Buffer nodes and the info from Gerardo here:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19309&highlight=gerardo

we can bake from a High Res to Low Res object in one go.

Now, if only it was faster and was just a one stop baking node that went straight to the buffer node :D

I haven't got the low res alpha channel to be effected by the high res geometry up and running yet as mentioned earlier if anyone fancies a shot? :)

Attachments

• onePassLWNodeAO_NormalMapBake copy.jpg
    onePassLWNodeAO_NormalMapBake copy.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 553
Yes, there is.
won't be at my laptop again until Friday, but one of the render buffers does the same thing. Might be called Camera Tangent..?

Derek

Surface Cast reads surface attributes (the one which you set in Surface Editor in LW <= 2015) ??
In LW 2018+ they are merged with Material..
In LW 2018+ if you need such things, make additional Custom Buffer in Render Globals,
make scalar or color in Node Editor, and at the same time plug to BSDF Material input and to Custom Buffer input.

Solved using Modeler LW11/2015!
BlyTools did the Trick!  
P13SFkJ.png

chunderburger
try..

set your low res object to unseen by camera.

set your hi res object to unseen by rays.

add PSD export to image filters & choose diff, spec etc

bake\render

edit 1:... see i skipped this one, so giving Layout LW11/2015 a second shot...
b57bkvo.gif

edit 2:... that worked !... sorry i totally overlooked that.

so now tested and confirmed working in both LW11 Modeler and Layout. Cool.

grandpaint.gif

Last edited:
Back