Add Playlist Sequences, with selectable transitions, to DDRs

Tim Ward

I'd like to see a Sequence feature added to the DDRs. What I mean is, I'd like to build a sequence in a DDR of clips/GFX, select whether each item should: 1) play to the Out point and stop, 2) play to the Out point then play the next item, or 3) continuously loop; then select a transition for each item (i.e. cut, dissolve, wipe). Similar in operation to the Avid Thunder.

**edit**

I forgot to add that after you build your sequence, you cue it up to run, then you can play through each item, in order, by clicking/hitting one button/key. For instance: each time you hit Take (or whatever you want to call it), you step through the sequence; if an item is set to play and stop, it does so -- if an item is set to play and continue to the next, it does so. If the second item is set to dissolve, when you hit Take, it dissolves out of the first item (which is stilled on last frame) while playing the second until it gets to the Out point, then continues to the next item. You wouldn't have to wait until the previous clip is over, either. Play the first for a few seconds, *Take* dissolve to the next for a few, *Take* which dissolves to the next...

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks. Just to mention it, did you know you can bring a complete SpeedEDIT project file (with transitions, etc.) into a DDR? (Not to belittle your suggestion, just in case you didn't know this.)

Yeah, I did know. :) I'm using the VT primarily for live, so my thinking is coming from a broadcast control room standpoint. Speed is everything with live production, so with my suggestion, you could, for example, change a transition immediately, while it would take a few moments to effect it with SpeedEDIT.

Cool. At risk of it seeming a habit, I have to refer to XD300 again: I'm pretty pleased with the way you can (among other things) build a 'slideshow' (with transitions) by ping-ponging back and forth between entries in any two of the content players (DDR, Stills or Titles). I think it approaches the sort of functionality you describe, actually, though not exactly the same. I'll check out Thunder, though - thanks again.

I'm pretty pleased with the way you can (among other things) build a 'slideshow' (with transitions) by ping-ponging back and forth between entries in any two of the content players (DDR, Stills or Titles).

Yeah, that sounds like it's similar to how the Thunder operates. In a sequence, you can specify the output channel (1-4) of each item also. Thunder is similar to an EVS (aka "Elvis") system, but on a lower level as far as features and control (and money, since I believe the 2-channel version we had where I used to work was $40,000) go.

These features I'm asking for are, of course, better-suited to scripted productions as opposed to a sports production (for which the 3-Play looks AWESOME at first glance).

Last edited:
Back