Account Contacts in Newtek talkshow application

Arrowk127

I would like to request Account based contacts in the Newtek Talkshow application. We don't use the Skype TX application because it does not allow for auto answer. We would like it in the Newtek talkshow Application for when there is an issue connecting. Our unit is used in both an operator and an operator free environment. We have a large number of contacts already stored in our Skype account based contacts and would like them accessible from the talkshow unit. This would allow us to update contacts from anywhere and have them available on the talkshow when necessary.

Thanks,
Kyle

Just to mention the distinction, VS-4000 uses the independent Skype TX control app for call control, and that application does now use the Skype contact list for the signed in account.

Yes. I have used that application but as soon as it is launched it disables the auto answer feature. If im not mistaken this application can also be used on the vs100. Are you saying that there is a completely different application from the two on the VS100 installed on the VS4000?

Last edited:
If im not mistaken this application can also be used on the vs100. Are you saying that there is a completely different application from the two on the VS100 installed on the VS4000?
As an overview, VS-100 is based the original Skype TX platform, which included both a local SkypeTX client, and a Skype TX controller app, intended primarily for use across a network to control multiple units. Both of these allow you to manage calls (the client app supports just one call, from the local unit). We 'married' our TalkShow UI to the SkypeTX client application window, as you know.

It's different for VS-4000, which is based on the updated Skype TX 4 platform. By design (i.e., Skype TX design, outside our control), there is no 'local client' app. The controller app has gained the ability to control multiple units, each in turn able to be either one or four channel systems. This controller app - which again can be run locally or on another network connected system - provides all call management tools. The NewTek goodness is all hosted in our own independent TalkShow application.

I'm not sure how auto-answer would be expected to work in a multi-channel scenario, but the new controller app, like the older one, does not offer it. Re: the contact lists - the original Skype TX platform has it's own independent contact list, as you know. This was seen, as far as I know, primarily as a security feature in a multi-user environment, but is no longer enforced in Skype TX 4.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

As an overview, VS-100 is based the original Skype TX platform, which included both a local SkypeTX client, and a Skype TX controller app, intended primarily for use across a network to control multiple units. Both of these allow you to manage calls (the client app supports just one call, from the local unit). We 'married' our TalkShow UI to the SkypeTX client application window, as you know.

It's different for VS-4000, which is based on the updated Skype TX 4 platform. By design (i.e., Skype TX design, outside our control), there is no 'local client' app. The controller app has gained the ability to control multiple units, each in turn able to be either one or four channel systems. This controller app - which again can be run locally or on another network connected system - provides all call management tools. The NewTek goodness is all hosted in our own independent TalkShow application.

I'm not sure how auto-answer would be expected to work in a multi-channel scenario, but the new controller app, like the older one, does not offer it. Re: the contact lists - the original Skype TX platform has it's own independent contact list, as you know. This was seen, as far as I know, primarily as a security feature in a multi-user environment, but is no longer enforced in Skype TX 4.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Understood. I don't expect auto answer to work in a multi-channel scenario. That would just be a nightmare to manage which unit answers a call automatically, not to mention the fact that they all could require different return video and audio.

I am using a VS-100 unit and not a VS-4000.

We would gladly use the local SkypeTX client application as you called it with the auto answer feature turned on. I'm only asking for this application to also include contacts that are already stored in a Skype account. As I mentioned we have a large number of contacts already stored in the Skype account that we use on this device and would like to have access to them.

We use the unit to both make calls to users and have regulars that call in to the unit. Sometimes there is an operator with the VS-100 and other times not. We would like to run 1 application (the local SkypeTX client application is fine) that can both auto answer when there is not a person operating it and can access our Skype contacts stored in our Skype account for when there is an operator.

I am using a VS-100 unit and not a VS-4000.
Yes, I understand. I only raised the VS-4000 implementation in the context of account contacts, since it's closer to what you are looking for.

As I mentioned we have a large number of contacts already stored in the Skype account that we use on this device and would like to have access to them.
Yes, I understand. Being candid, quite a number felt the same way, which may be why the Skype TX developers changed it when developing Skype TX 4. I want to be clear, though, that this is really a Skype TX feature request, not a TalkShow one. We have no control over this. I can't speak to the likelihood of them devoting engineering resources to updating the Skype TX client in this manner, sorry.

Not a problem. I have tried to get in touch with Microsoft/Skype and have not had much luck. I thought that might be the outcome. Do you know of anyone at Microsoft/Skype that would be a good contact to talk to about this? I feel like it would be a good feature to implement and I don't think I would be the only one asking for this. Feel free to PM me if you want to share some contact info for Microsoft/Skype.

Back