24 Frames Per Second to centimeters/meters per second - conversion. Please help

Planeguy

I tried to google this, but nowadays search engines are useless. Anything but the topic I'm searching for.

Sorry, I digress. I'm not good at this but I'd like to learn. I'd like to know how to calculate the following:

In a roll of 16mm film, there's 100ft of roll. A filmmaker can shoot 2.5min of video with this size roll. What do I need to do to calculate how many centimeters or meters, 24fps would travel in a given second? Would I need to find out the specifi length of one frame off the roll?

Maybe I'm not explaining myself right, but if you don't understand my question I'll try to come up with a better explanation.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this in Layout.
Put image-sequence on filmplane texture?
film-sound-types_480x480.jpg

Dpont's image node has Frame number input. You need at least two or three, one frame-1, second frame, third frame+1.

So, for example. In this video you can see how fast the roll of film travels in the frame (I'll try to find a better view).

This is what I have. It's a simple plane, with an animated texture position.

I may have to go with what looks about right, this is starting to fry the few neurons I have 😅

Unclear what effect you want to get... If your animation is 24.96 FPS, and film spool is moving down or spinning showing also 24.96 FPS, you should have no effect at all, just switch of frame, as one cancels the other. But if your animation is e.g. 100 FPS, then you would have four movements of film spool.. etc.

@Planeguy - First off, tell us what your frame per second setting is (in layout press 'o' for general options and under the general tab find frames per second).

In a roll of 16mm film, there's 100ft of roll. A filmmaker can shoot 2.5min of video with this size roll. What do I need to do to calculate how many centimeters or meters, 24fps would travel in a given second?
So 100ft passes in 2.5 mins.
Which is same as 1200 inches in 150 seconds.
Which is same as 3048cm in 150 seconds.

Which means it must be 20.32cm in 1 second (or as metres 0.2032m in 1 second).

Anyone please call out any error... :)

No. My calculations drew the same result.

I just used a different method.

Below doesn't show how I calculated the result, but it just shows the metric and imperial equivalents.

20.32cm = 0.6666r ft or 8 inches.

1 inch = 2.54 cm or 25.4 mm
1 foot = 12 inches
1 foot in cms = 12 inches x 2.54 cm = 30.48 cm

8 inches in cms = 8 inches x 2.54 cm = 20.32 cm

Last edited:
I don't want to confuse you even more, but film strips do not run continuously through the camera/projector but stop 24 times per second (or even more often), when expose/projecting the image.
But, depending on what you want to show, this might not matter. :)

ciao
Thomas

Thanks guys. At the end decided to go with something that looks about right as I was spending too much time on it already. It's for a logo I'm making.

Thanks for the calc! I had to put a far higher value to make it move faster, but it must be because the size of my plane (where I loaded the texture onto) is not the same size as the actual film strip. So I'm going to change the size of the geometry and see if it helps.

Edit: That did it. Changing the size to the actual size of the film strip, and then adding a position value of 20.32cm and the motion looks about right! I'll upload a video

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Here's a test. I put the sound of an ARRI 35mm cinema camera, and the sound almost matches with the motion haha

It's 24 frames long.

No. My calculations drew the same result.

I just used a different method.

Below doesn't show how I calculated the result, but it just shows the metric and imperial equivalents.

20.32cm = 0.6666r ft or 8 inches.

1 inch = 2.54 cm or 25.4 mm
1 foot = 12 inches
1 foot in cms = 12 inches x 2.54 cm = 30.48 cm

8 inches in cms = 8 inches x 2.54 cm = 20.32 cm
Here is an online converter to make it easyer: https://oneconvert.com/unit-converters/length-converter/cm-to-inches
Your welcome)

Back