2015 scene open in 2020

morego

Hi everybody, I 'm struggling with this scene I created in LW 2015.

When I open it in LW 2020, edges don't render, even after adding an environment light to the scene. On the other hand, if I create a new scene and just add the model, everything works fine.

What is the way of doing this?

Thanks!

PD: I want to work over the old LW 2015 scene because it has many animations.

2020 open.jpg

2020 loaded.jpg

You might try Load Items from Scene instead. Of course, a lot of other differences between the two versions.

What is the way of doing this?

Try turning off Surface Shaded for your edges and you should get the same results as in LW 2015.

Edge_surface_02.jpg

Surface shaded edges can be shaded in LW 2020 like normal objects in the surface editor. They are rendered as tubes.

Edge_surface_01.jpg

To do this, use the Mesh Element Switch node in the Node Editor.

Edge_surface_03.jpg

Hope it works.
ciao
Thomas

You might try Load Items from Scene instead. Of course, a lot of other differences between the two versions.
Thanks Ma3rk, everything was imported properly (models and nulls) except the cameras (got a few, indeed it was a cameras moving animation), any idea for that?

ok.png

Try turning off Surface Shaded for your edges and you should get the same results as in LW 2015.

View attachment 155531

Surface shaded edges can be shaded in LW 2020 like normal objects in the surface editor. They are rendered as tubes.

View attachment 155532

To do this, use the Mesh Element Switch node in the Node Editor.

View attachment 155533

Hope it works.
ciao
Thomas

What happens in my case is that scene was just open from 2015, it's something weird there, cause LW 2020 doesn´t read it properly.

Edges neither work with this method.

BTW I see it is related to surfaces instead of objects, what about if you've got few surfaces in the same model?

edge nodes.png

.....except the cameras (got a few, indeed it was a cameras moving animation), any idea for that?
Did you activate the camera when importing?

Load_01.jpg

If that doesn't work, you can save the camera's motion path in LW 2015 and then load it in LW 2020. You then have to adjust the other properties of the camera (e.g. zoom) manually.

ciao
Thomas

Last edited:
What happens in my case is that scene was just open from 2015, it's something weird there, cause LW 2020 doesn´t read it properly.

Edges neither work with this method.

That's weird. Without having the original scene, the problem is hard to find.

BTW I see it is related to surfaces instead of objects, what about if you've got few surfaces in the same model?

Edges between the same surface are shaded according to that surface's settings. I don't know how LW decides how edges are shaded between two different surfaces (one has priority). I guess it could be due to the point order.

ciao
Thomas

When I open it in LW 2020, edges don't render, even after adding an environment light to the scene. On the other hand, if I create a new scene and just add the model, everything works fine.

Honestly, I'm unable to replicate this issue.

Did you create the objects natively within 2015 Modeler? Or did you get them from a third party?

Hello guys, sharing the scene, model was done in LW 2015, which I uninstall few months ago, and for the scene I started from one I found around, don't remember the origin anymore but attaching an image, so maybe you can recognize it.

I wanted to render some wireframe shots just to show an intermediate state in a portfolio I'm creating these days.

Renders done with 2015:

f 2.jpg

f 5.jpg

* NOTES: Texture extension replaced to jpg to decrease size, HDRI was too big to upload here, it was a simple studio light.

bowl 96a 13min.jpg

Attachments

• scuffed-plastic-normal.jpg
    scuffed-plastic-normal.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 120
  • lw2015_files.zip
    223 KB · Views: 116
Ok, so I've just had a look at this scene file and I seem to have found the issue with the lack of edges appearing in renders.

Go to Layout>Render Tab>Render Properties>Render Tab and activate Render Lines.

Object property edges should work now.

Back