10 subtle mistakes to avoid in character animation

:D

The right figure and the shoulder, don´t think I would ever miss that, and I am not even a character animator, but if you know how the human body looks like and work like in motion, as you should do even by having looked in your mirror when moving, since around you were 9 years old perhaps and start to memorize figures when drawing, or in other peoples movement, you just shouldn´t miss a thing like that, I would be baffled if any experienced artist ..especially character animater would miss that, you need to be in a memory state of recalling the True human body, and not accepting the mannequin rotation orders when adapting the movements.

Good tips non the less.

b57bkvo.gif

Such a great catch, sir.

A lot of this is covered in the late, great, Richard Williams' book The Animator's Survival Kit. I'm sure he would be very proud to know that his mantra of the importance of referencing, observing, studying and having an eye for detail in your work is not being forgotten.

Last edited:
Really cool article, thanks for sharing Erikals. Will save these to my handy tips.
The "shoulders" tip is the most obvious, the others are less so and really good tips that a Pixar animator has even made in the past. Definitely good things to remember when you're feeling lazy, or short of time in an animation.

I think it´s a start with good animation tips, but it will not meet the demands of what is needed for subtle discrepancy in speed and motion deviations in facemovement, bodymovement.

Though I regognize this thread topic Is just about the simpler animation tricks, I think I got a bit carried away with another thread tainting my response on this one.

Today the technology is there to yield decently flesh movements, but the underlying tiny nerve muscle response that governs the most extreme subtle motion isn´t as far as I now included in new methods of animation.
Or extrememely advanced environment reaction behavior to everything possible such as reacting to light, sound, and other items in a scene even portraying emotional reactions based on other scene elements, this would be extremely hard to simulate if the environment is a hybrid mix with real life actors and one cg actor, while a scen with full cg actors would allow for each cg agent to act emotionally to what and how another cg agent is acting or reacting.

I suspect it needs some AI algorithms to deal with that, when that is in place, we may have reached the uncanny valley of the most realistic human in motion (including face) ever seen, to such level it can´t be identified as CG.
I can´t say that I have seen it yet, not in Blade Runner 2049 or somewhere else.

I guess that's the big difference between Facial Capture (or performance capture) over hand-keyed animation which is what the Pixar guy above talks through.
Facial capture is the way to go for the most photoreal of performances, but for cartoony and charming animation it's definitely best to hand-key.

Hand-keyed animation will rarely get you as far as a performance capture, unless you're Chris Jones of course :D

I guess that's the big difference between Facial Capture (or performance capture) over hand-keyed animation which is what the Pixar guy above talks through.
Facial capture is the way to go for the most photoreal of performances, but for cartoony and charming animation it's definitely best to hand-key.

Hand-keyed animation will rarely get you as far as a performance capture, unless you're Chris Jones of course :D
(y)Absolutely so, I think I mentioned I was going out of line with my views on it expanding to realism.

And Yep, you need the hands, brains and patience similar to that of Chris Jones to get anywhere near performance capture..If you are doing it manually.

Back