XAVC-S Not recognized

Richvideo

XAVC-S files will not load into SE 2, I was looking into getting the Sony PXW-X70 camera and it uses this codec which seems to be the codec that will be used in all future cameras. I tried to load this test footage and it was a no go.How hard would it be for Newtek to add support for the codec. It already reads AVCHD so would it be that hard for them to work this in.

Newtek is still selling SE so I guess this is something that should be addressed to be fair to new purchasers of the NLE
https://shop.newtek.com/index.php/speededit?page=shop.browse&category_id=36

Here is the test footage that I tried with
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lj1fc7ae7tf3bzy/AABUmZNpJD9h7EWvZmcbhRAca?dl=0

Sony Vegas 13 plays it
Final Cut X with a plug-in plays it
Adobe CC plays it

dweinkauf

You're right that your clips won't play in SE and something should be done about that. I got a media player to play your clips, but none of the clips will load into or play in my copy of Sony Vegas 13 on Windows 7 64 bit. How did you get the clips to play in your copy of Sony Vegas 13?

Richvideo

I did not test it in Sony Vegas.... on a Sony page for the codec it says that it should work, maybe it is something they just added to a newer build of Vegas 13.

I could not get it to play in Media Player or even the newest version of VLC--it just played the audio in VLC..I will have to look into what decoder my system is using to try to read it

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
I don't think the files you've made available are XAVC-S, the file extensions seem to indicate that they are XAVC. That aside I think it'll be a little while before codecs become readily available to third party software manufacturers since Sony have made it clear that they would prefer customers to use their tools, as downloadable from their support site, as well as their hardware when shooting with their codecs.

The only method I'm aware of that allows users to make use of Sony's new codec is to use Acrok's HD Video Converter to convert the clips to some other format that'll work with your chosen editor.

I have absolutely no experience of using this software and can in no way guarantee it's effectiveness, but it couldn't hurt to check it out and see if it solve the problem until Sony decides to play nice with others.

The real downside is that unless you record to an external recorder like an Atomos Samurai, converting the clips could mean a loss of image information.

Thanks for that Sony.

Richvideo

Yes I think that you are correct- the files are 1920X1080 .MXF (not 4K) and the person that I got the files from says he was using XAVC
XAVC is an MXF wrapper and XAVC-S an mp4 wrapper

This is where I got the files from
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital...x70-announced-pro-xdcam-version-ax100-16.html

I have the Sony content browser (I use the Sony EX1r) I would like to see if these files play in there but since the files were taken out of the folder structure the content browser will not see the raw file like that

Last edited:

dweinkauf

I did a little reading and it seems MXF files have to be converted in order to be used in NLEs like Vegas. My assumption is that if you use a MXF converter, you should be able to have a useable clip that can be used in Vegas or even SE. I haven't tried this yet, but I am intrigued.

Richvideo

I am pretty sure I have dropped MXF files in Vegas
On its page it says MXF are readable

Opens:

AA3, AAF, AIF, ASF, AU, AVC, AVCHD, AVI, BMP, BWF, CDA, DIG, DLX, DPX, DV, EXR, FLAC, GIF, H.264, HDP, IVC, JPEG, M2T, M2TS, MVC, MOV, Sony MXF (XDCAM and HDCAM SR), MP3, MP4, M4A, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, MPO, OGG, OMA, Panasonic MXF (DVCPRO, AVC-Intra) PCA, PNG, PSD, QT, R3D, SFA, SND, TIFF, TGA, VOX, W64, WAV, WDP, WMA, WMV, XAVC Intra MXF, XAVC S

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
XAVC is an MXF wrapper and XAVC-S an mp4 wrapper

I'm gonna be that guy now. You know that pedantic know-it-all guy who gets on everyone's nerves, so apologies in advance for that.

XAVC isn't actually an MXF wrapper and XAVC-S isn't an mp4 wrapper. XAVC uses the MXF wrapper just as XAVC-S uses the mp4 wrapper. I know what you meant, but I just felt it was important to clarify this for readers who aren't as knowledgable on the whole codecs, wrappers, file extension relationship.

That being said, I think it's worth remembering that just because a program says it can play back clips with a particular file extension, it doesn't always mean that it will understand the codec contained in that file extension wrapper, since the wrapper can contain any type of codec the creator wants use. So, it's not always a good idea to judge a tool based on the file extensions alone. Sony's XAVC(-S) codec is a good example of this. Swann's surveillance equipment's video codec is another.

Shabazzy

Richvideo

You are right, but since the list of codecs that they have on the Vegas page includes XAVC it would be logical to assume that it could read XAVC in a MXF wrapper. In this case the issue seems to be that it just can't play XAVC -L at this time

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Well, given that you said that the Vegas page reads 'XAVC Intra MXF', it kinda already implied that it doesn't handle 'XAVC Long GOP MXF', which goes back to what I said earlier, the codec is what we need to focus on.

The thing that bugs me though is that Sony have made a song and dance about how XAVC is an open platform and up to 60 partners have taken up licences to adopt the technology into their products and yet Sony doesn't even support all the codec features of their cameras in their own editing software. Even a year after launching the codec.

Still, it is interesting to see whether NewTek will take out a licence to support this codec in the near future. Given that 4k is the future, I think it will be telling on how much investment NewTek will place in SE as 4k and it's various codec implementations becomes more prevalent.

Paul6_3333

paulkinsella
I also downloaded Catalyst Browse and can successfully "transcode" the files to a MP4 format that is seen by SE2. Anyone know of another way to get this done without individually formatting each file? Starting to see more of these files shot by the new Sony FDR-AX1 (4K), even when just the full HD record mode is used.

Richvideo

In Newteks defense even Sony Vegas 13 won't import these files, at least when I checked last..People were pissed on the Sony forums and were demanding a update patch

Paul6_3333

paulkinsella
I have not tried it yet, and don't know anything about Vegas 13, but Sony includes Vegas Pro 12 Edit with the FDR-AX1 and promotes it as "compatible editing software".

Richvideo

Yes you are correct XAVC-S should work with Sony Vegas it is XAVC-L (Long GOP) that will not import into Vegas
What I have been told is that SE2 can not import 4K footage , it will crash out the SE MP4 decoder. 2k MP4 footage from say a GoPro does import.

xpycm

I am new here...
I have no problems adding 2K HD video files from my Sony RX10 still camera, which are encoded with XAVC-S codec in mp4 container (50Mbps), to the SpeedEdit (build 120124) timeline. Codec XAVC-S is the consumer version of the professional codec XAVC, which can be Intra or Long GOP and uses mxf container. Those mxf files are not recognized by SE and many other NLEs. Sony's Catalyst Browse is able to transcode them to AVC/mp4 files with lower data rate (max. 24Mbps), but after transcoding they look flatter and lighter to me... I want to buy Sony X70 camcorder and downloaded samples of XAVC Long GOP encoded files in mxf container, which X70 can output, from Internet to make sure I can work with them but yet did not find an appropriate solution...

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
I have no problems adding 2K HD video files from my Sony RX10 still camera,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 2K HD files. Are they 2k or HD? If they're 2K, how did you get that from a camera with only HD capabilities?

Top Bottom