Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Will you upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Probably

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

prometheus

REBORN
GPU rendering might be the future, but in my opinion it is in its infancy and that is an understatement. First of all a rendering package is sold as a product and the main buyers are probably commercial entities rather than hobbyists. As such the rendering package needs to address the main user base, rather than looking at the smaller percentiles of the distribution of the user base.

You are wrong, I have given up on hair rendering in Lightwave, it is outmatch by the GPU rendering with blenders hair, seems it´s like 20 times faster.. though even the cpu hair rendering is faster than lightwave native CPU.

And you are wrong with volumetric gi bouncing, it´s absent even in native vdb volumes or volumetric items, activating gi for volumetrics with cpu is very very slow compared to blenders cycles voluemtrics with GI and a proper functionial volume bouncing, I have demonstrated that with the Disney VDB asset and other stuff, so I dare to state you are not aware of what you are talking about here.

Besides, look at those using Lightwave and not blender to do volumetrics or instancing etc, like Lightwave guru, how much isn´t he working with octane, and what is octane if not a GPU renderer, it´s the solution most seem to have to buy in to to overcome the slow CPU processing for some tasks...that or invest in very very expensive cpu´s

I don't agree with that. A lot of professional, high quality work is done on GPU.

These render engines since long support out-of-core memory.

Also, single graphic cards are available with 24GB and multiple cards can use unified memory with NVlink for example.

Yes, some big budget films or at least parts of it are still rendered on CPU but for these movies, a big part of cgi is heavy compositing.

Only few features are missing on GPU, even procedural textures are supported nowadays.

Many render engines also support both CPU and GPU.

For me as 3D hobbyist it's indeed great to make animations with lots of details, volumetrics, tons of instances, depth of field, micropoly displacements and have render times of 30-60s for full hd images (using Redshift, eCycles and Cycles4D). If I forgot to render out a specific pass or need a change, I can have it in no time.

It took years and teams of very specialized developers for these GPU engines (Redshift, Arnold, Octane etc) to get to the quality and versatility they have now.

I don't see any chance for LW to get native GPU rendering support. If you want GPU for LW you have to get Octane.

The only limitations in GPU rendering I see is that 1) it is more hardware bound (NVidia RTX) then CPU rendering (and on lower spec'ed cards one cannot expect wonders of course) and 2) for some experimental stuff, very special shaders etc might not work on GPU.
Fair enough. I wanted someone who is either s a pro or a semi pro to chip in. If am wrong then no problems on my end, I am wrong full stop. I can see 128+ GB being a reality sooner than you think if you look up the successor to HBM 2 (wikipedia is your friend here) we might have have very large VRAM in a matter of a few years. I know 24 GB cards are out at the moment and am aware that you double from 24 GB to 48 GB but being a bit of tech geek I can see problems if the data is one card and needs to be rendered on the other card with 24 x 2 for 48 GB. For example I don't think that two 24GB cards in NVLINK has the rendering ability as one 48GB card as there has to be latency when the data is held on one card but rendered on the other GPU for data processing, now matter how good or fast NVLINK is for taking the data from one card to another. I still think 2 x 24 GB cards is good and is cool though and would not say no to it.

As far as Octane is concerned I think Octane mirrors the data on both 24GB cards so there is NO latency issues with VRAM usage 23.9 GB or under. From what I have read when the data goes 24+ GB Octane stops mirroring the data from that point onwards and you get a latency penalty.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
It's like a small child kicking the back of your chair on a 16 hour flight...."BUT WHY WON'T YOU LET ME TELL YOU SOME MORE ABOUT BLENDER!!!??? WHY!!? WHY!!!??? "
"Because I'm not interested in Blender"

"BUT WHY? BLENDER'S BETTER!"

"Because I'm more interested in the tool I use"

"Because I like the tool I use"

"Because I like how it works"

"Because I'm accustomed to my tool and it does what I need"

"Because I'm not interested in Blender"

"Because I'm on a LightWave flight, going to a LightWave conference to meet with other LightWavers and I don't want to hear about bloody Blender!"

"Ahh stewardess? Could you call the air marshall please?"

prometheus

REBORN
I´ts probably, I like to use lightwave, just because it´s called lightwave..it can´t do much else...if it could, I would tell you about it.
This however says nothing about Lightwaves greatness(though the opportunity is there to do so if you know it´s greatness)
It´s otherwise just about a certain persons unlogical mindset of choosing to not discuss why it is working nicely for you, and holding on to none attributal powers of their tools of choice for some reasons.

Debating from a childs point of view to assert something, that is of course the ideal approach to enter a discussion with grown ups.

Seems there are always wrongly reflectled perceptions on what people think about Lightwave ..when we talk about those who think it hasn´t kept up to date..or what we are arguing about...or the illusion of that we are trying to sell them another software.

Personally I have for instance said blender is a structural mess, and lack a lot of things I love in Lightwave..just to give a little perspective on it and perhaps it could wake some of those up who is caught in this illusion of some of us being blender agents, but that is me..I am sure there are more people that get´s your interest.

Only fools will get in to a blender salesmen fear ..if you talk about lack of cpu, and have to describe a case where GPU does things better, it could even be true space..but now that isn´t an option, and you can mentioned cinema, houdini for non destructive workflows as well as blender, you can also pick pretty much any full 3D package and talk about model tools in the scene/layout....or not mentione them and just mention that lightwave is the only software not able to do that.

It´s foremost about the lack of development and tools for Lightwave, not about talking to promote other software, with the lack of developed tools, comes an inherent inevitable question of why and how other 3D apps do it, and there you go.

If you do not wish to hear about development and what needs to be done, or why people will not upgrade..do not enter this thread, it is inevitable to avoid comparisons and make conclusions to what Lightwave need or is lacking.
There are no such rules in these forums to not talk about that, and if you don´t like it, just stay away from the threads or forums.

Last edited:
BlenderToy.png

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
I´ts probably, I like to use lightwave, just because it´s called lightwave..it can´t do much else...if it could, I would tell you about it.
This however says nothing about Lightwaves greatness, just about a certain persons unlogical mindset of choosing to not discuss why it is working nicely for you, and holding on to none attributal powers of their tools of choice for some reasons.

Debating from a childs point of view to assert something, that is of course the ideal approach to enter a discussion with grown ups.
No, it's about some individuals not respecting the fact that there is a time and a place for everything and do not have the self awareness to "read the room".

They do not have the ability to sense when it's appropriate to discuss certain topics and when it's not.

They do not have the ability to understand context or intonation.

They sure as fire do not have the ability to realise when their views are unwelcome.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
No, it about some individuals not respecting the fact that there is a time and a place for everything and do not have the self awareness to "read the room".

They do not have the ability to sense when it's appropriate to discuss certain topics and when it's not.

They do not have the ability to understand context or intonation.

They sure as fire do not have the ability to realise when their views are unwelcome.

That is your views, I do not think a fraction of what you are talking about here would be true though, I do not see these issues here in this thread, You do not set the rules and have the rights to what is appropiate, that is for the moderators to handle.
You may think it´s not welcome, I and many others do..we all have or own views on this.

When you talk about upgrade, you talk about wether or not it is good enought to upgrade, it either is or not ( from each and ones own perspective)..and if not you describe why..this thread would have no real purpose would it.

..if you feel offended by that, and think it´s inappropiate, you could contact moderators for reporting abuse of it in the forums and see to wait if they remove the post for breaking the rules.

1995 Maya vs LightWave
2005 Modo vs LightWave
2015 Blender vs LightWave

always been like that, I guess we could try to cut down on the B tho'

prometheus

REBORN
1995 Maya vs LightWave
2005 Modo vs LightWave
2015 Blender vs LightWave

always been like that, I guess we could try to cut down on the B tho'

Wouldn´t matter, if you talk about none destructive workflow, it would be the same in actual debate of technical aspects and similar, it´s just that some people feel more offended by hearing someone refer to blender and not houdini, which on contrary many would praise and engage in talking about.

prometheus

REBORN
And that's exactly the problem.

It´s only your problem, and a few others, to many others here. it´s no problem.
so you are most proned to be a bit egocentric on that view I have to say.

You could analyse your own internal funny debate on the flight, which in it´s hypothetical form makes no sense at all since it has no context to anyones true real description of what the issues are, it´s just mockery fun aimed to people in here from which peoples point of view doesn´t seem to get what we should be talking about..according to you it seems.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
yeah, but we could try to cut the B tone a bit i think.

Well..no, not me, I wil mention blender when I talk about GPU and tasks where that is in relation to what lightwave can´t handle, it´s the only appropiate thing to do if you need to compare tools and it´s flaws, and as I said this is purely technical matters and for emotional reactions, I said blender is a structural mess, for thos who by any chance confuse me with a blender sales person, I will also talk about houdini or embergen when such issues and task shows up.

Any such recent post talks about blender, is not instigated by me, I stated lightwave needs GPU and modeling(without mentioning blender), which later was followed by a debate on that gpu was in it´s infant stage, and that wasn´t true and for context I had to mention blender, no lies, no cover ups, no sneaking away fear of mentioning the true case.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
doubt you will, the Sheriff ain't all too happy about it.

They can remove posts as they like, I am confident I am not going neither off topic nor breaking forum rules in this matter, how some people like to see any eventual talk about another software here from me or others, that´s another matter.

anyone is welcome to provide their case by collecting any such offense of too much talk of blender ( in this thread) and bluntly stack them up in a post to see how much it is.

They could start by my posts, then some others to keep each and one responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom