Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Will you upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Probably

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Parsons

Then, a couple of months ago, it was announced that the original creator/publisher, Lost Marble, re-acquired the program, and suddenly the future looks very bright for Moho Pro.

Call me an optimist but I'm hoping LightWave will see a similar resurrection this year.
Yeah that would be cool for LW too, except for the fact that one of original developers has a competing product and the other is now developing in house solutions for Pixar. :)
I keep thinking BlackMagic or Adobe but in all honesty I think it needs to fall in the hands of a small dedicated development group kind of like 3D Coat, but the rub there is that a small group most likely can't afford to purchase the IP. In the end it's cheaper for a rock group to make their own IP than buy somebody else's.

wingzeta

Yeah that would be cool for LW too, except for the fact that one of original developers has a competing product and the other is now developing in house solutions for Pixar. :)
I keep thinking BlackMagic or Adobe but in all honesty I think it needs to fall in the hands of a small dedicated development group kind of like 3D Coat, but the rub there is that a small group most likely can't afford to purchase the IP. In the end it's cheaper for a rock group to make their own IP than buy somebody else's.
Agreed. Since the LW IP is worth less and less the longer they do nothing with it, hopefully the price comes down to what a truly interested party could afford. The danger is in a company like vizrt not caring about LW, and yet still overvaluing it, if anyone else offers to buy it. Like a guy who dumps his girlfriend, but doesn't want anyone else to date her, so tries to sabotage any potential relationship. ;)

I wouldn't mind Blackmagic to come in and buy it. Blackmagic's money comes from hardware gear not Davinci Resolve which is probably why it is free, and the Studio isn't too much to introduce people to their ecosystem. If they bought Lightwave 3D that would be a good complement to Davinci Resolve Studio and their hardware being video cameras and systems. I feel pretty confident that if they did buy Lightwave 3D and sold it commercially that they would not shaft us. For example the Studio has been a free upgrade between all the versions so far and if they did the same with Lightwave 3D they could still earn a positive profit and help expand their ecosystem and introduce more 3D people to their hardware, being video camera systems.

To be honest I have bought Davinci Resolve Studio and wouldn't mind buying a copy of Blackmagic Lightwave 3D 2021 for a reasonable sum which is at a good price point. You have to understand their business model, and also understand their money is in camera hardware. If they can make a profit selling Lightwave 3D and introduce new customers to their ecosystem and get extra sales in Blackmagic camera hardware, then for them it is a win, win, win situation and makes good business sense to buy Lightwave 3D intellectual property for them.

Ok one last word. If we don't bash B L E N D E R here (I DON'T want to bash B L E N D E R here), can we at the very least get B L E N D E R users to stop bashing Lightwave 3D in the OFFICIAL Lightwave 3D forums. I am sure that Lightwave bashers can find another forum to do that in rather than here. By the way I have no problem with B L E N D E R users being here or being constructive at all. No problems. Zero. Zilch. Nada. The last thing I want is to come to the Lightwave 3D forums and all I hear is Lightwave hating and bashing from one or two users. I am sure those people can surely find another forum internet somewhere else, that says that B L E N D E R is so epic and awesome and everything else sucks donkeys ass.

Last opinion, if the current owners of Lightwave intellectual property DO NOTHING and WANT TO DO NOTHING, please sell it to a buyer like Blackmagjic if they want to buy the Lightwave IP and are offering substantial good money for it. If this is the case, do YOURSELF and US a favour and sell the IP to someone like Blackmagic. P.S. The current IP holders of Lightwave 3D might be actually doing something behind the scenes, and plan to do more in the future which might become public soon or in a short ammount of time.

Tim Parsons

The current IP holders of Lightwave 3D might be actually doing something behind the scenes, and plan to do more in the future which might become public soon or in a short amount of time.
They need to communicate that. The earlier communication they gave us was not clear at all that they have any intention of doing anything with it but let it rot on the vine. :) At least give us one last bug fix.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Ok one last word. If we don't bash B L E N D E R here (I DON'T want to bash B L E N D E R here), can we at the very least get B L E N D E R users to stop bashing Lightwave 3D in the OFFICIAL Lightwave 3D forums. I am sure that Lightwave bashers can find another forum to do that in rather than here. By the way I have no problem with B L E N D E R users being here or being constructive at all. No problems. Zero. Zilch. Nada. The last thing I want is to come to the Lightwave 3D forums and all I hear is Lightwave hating and bashing from one or two users. I am sure those people can surely find another forum internet somewhere else, that says that B L E N D E R is so epic and awesome and everything else sucks donkeys ass.

..... P.S. The current IP holders of Lightwave 3D might be actually doing something behind the scenes, and plan to do more in the future which might become public soon or in a short ammount of time.
Amen to that brother.

it won't be communicated, 3D companies won't play that way.
there will be silence, then after some time, maybe, possibly, something will be revealed.

Greenlaw

Eat your peas.
That would be cool! Back when I was with the Box at Rhythm & Hues, we used Fusion and LightWave together for everything, and they may as well have been a single program.

Philbert

Sub-Dude
I still haven't upgraded to 2020. I finally have the money now but an associate said not to bother. I'll have to see what 2021 offers. Kind of a shame, I've had every version since 7.5.

the new versions of LightWave are revolutionary in terms of technology, but less so in workflow.
so for LightWavers who wants Things Done, the newer LightWave versions didn't offer much.
from what it looked like to me.
LightWave 2021 was supposed to get GPU support, but that has been put on ice.
who knows were this s heading....

Greenlaw

Eat your peas.
interesting.
I haven't watched the video you linked to in its entirety, but it's referencing Moho 13.0, which is the seriously buggy release from Moho's previous owners.

The first release from Moho's new owner, Lost Marble, is going to be Moho 13.5. This release will address the bugs, and also lay the groundwork for the next major release. Until that happens, it's better to stick with Moho 12.4. (That's the version we're still using at my workplace.) If you happen to own a 13.0 license, I understand you can request a license to regress to version 12.4 until 13.5 comes out. (Contact Victor Paredes of Lost Marble to be sure.)

I don't want to derail this thread any further, so if anybody wants to ask questions about Moho, you can track me down at the Lost Marble forums. 😺

Last edited:

i always keep an eye on new 2D tech, but for now i'm going the IKB route, if anything.

nice progress, waiting patiently...

LightWaveGuru

The name LightWave is associated with 90s technology and renders in the industry.

I'm laughing my head off. So I associate LW with a program that, like a few other programs, can do just about everything a 3D artist needs.

But I also associate LightWave with a constantly whining community.

And that's why I think you all need a punch in the face! Really in the face! First my right fist and then my left fist.

And then there is a kick in the balls! :)

And then when you whiners lying on the ground I get out the shovel and bury you in the forest.

Who took your pride?
Who made you such losers?
Who of you whiners is trying to make useless 3D software out of one of the best 3D software packages in the world?

You have cut off your own balls and made yourselves eunuchs.

So send me the great other 3D software that is better than Lightwave with a good Artist.
Not much to be found there so far.
Except maybe Houdini which is not usable in everyday life for many projects because it is too complex for simple moves.

You don't know what you are talking about!

I know why I normally avoid the Lightwave communities here.
The crying makes me angry and the more incompetent the people the bigger the cry.

As if a software could do something for the user is stupid.
that's like blaming a brush for the fact that the painter can't paint.

Stop it! It's boring! And it is unworthy of us!
Code does not get old. People get old.
Remember that!

How do I come to this opinion?

Well, I know the limits of Lightwave very well and that's why I know very well who is exploring these limits and who is reaching them, and that's very few of us!
It is not the code. The error is often in front of the computer!

Now please bow to me so that I can kick your asses. ROFL :)

snip LWGuru

not that many rants here these days, way more quiet.
who's fault? i'd say both VizRT/NT and ranters.
anyways... way better now, and time will tell if it improves.
+ i'm not a messiah myself. who is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom