Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Will you upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Probably

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pauland

LW Watcher
Asking for a friend..

My boyfriend uses something called "Lightwave". I don't think he's so cool anymore, so should I dump him for the ugly guy that uses "Blender"? I think he's a part time cook.

The "Lightwave" guy didn't want to get married anyway..

prometheus

REBORN
Jeez, debates about marriage.. ..so relevant to this thread.

This got to be the most irrelevant post to any topic, what has your Jeez complaints to do with the upgrade to Lightwave?

Asking for a friend..

My boyfriend uses something called "Lightwave". I don't think he's so cool anymore, so should I dump him for the ugly guy that uses "Blender"? I think he's a part time cook.

The "Lightwave" guy didn't want to get married anyway..

Jeez, talking about girlfriend dump this and that for blender and lightwave, it should belong to the 1001 ways to use Lightwave and blender guys P..thread.

Talk about a sinner never guilty of ever having had a discussion, slightly off topic.

pauland

LW Watcher
I was responding to Erikals, who seemed to be pushing for it.

A sinner indeed, but I have a long way to go to catch up with some.

prometheus

REBORN
I was responding to Erikals, who seemed to be pushing for it.

A sinner indeed, but I have a long way to go to catch up with some.

That´s ok, we are all pushing for it sometimes, to some lesser degree or more.
And yes, you may have a long way to go before redemption, but I haven´t kept track of you, seems like wasting time.
Heck I am a complaining sinner as welll when someone posts in wrong threads or speak in utterly non General understanding way.
Guilty, guilty...and now I was almost about to post the judging faces from Krypton, but there you see..we would fall in the another zone of topic.

TreyX

Big Kahuna
no, we will not be upgrading our existing LW seats. Still using LW 2015 + 2018 for modeling, but are transitioning to a Maya pipeline as we speak for animation.

prometheus

REBORN
Sorry for my ignorance but, why "volumetric sprite mode" is still relevant to you?
It renders in seconds unlike several minutes for volumetric lights, the response is almost realtime while it isn´t with the true volumetrics.
Quite nice for some effects when you do not need full volume effects, volumetric sprites in the light´s volume mode isn´t the same as sprites with hypervoxels, can´t be compared really.

Darn..hard to find the images I posted earlier in the threads before forum change recently..

Aliens Intro.jpeg

where stars are born.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Impheris

Of course! i remember doing effects like that some years ago with a friend, kind of tricks and you are right it was fast. I have not done anything like that anymore... Very nice BTW

prometheus

REBORN
Of course! i remember doing effects like that some years ago with a friend, kind of tricks and you are right it was fast. I have not done anything like that anymore... Very nice BTW

Would be nice if there was a ..Use legacy volume light, like we can change to use legacy volumetrics, but I guess it must have been too hard to do with the newer render engine and lights etc.

Impheris

Sorry for my ignorance again xD but... could not you do the same with a sphere as background with tthe same layer settings with alpha and all of that?

would not still be fast?

prometheus

REBORN
Sorry for my ignorance again xD but... could not you do the same with a sphere as background with tthe same layer settings with alpha and all of that?

would not still be fast?

No....a sphere background has no built in Light, nor attenuation density, red shift and the same softness to it, and you would have to deal with transparency to avoid showing geometry, much trickier to set up and in the end not faster and further more each such cloned light will affect the overall look on the others.

so probably even Slower, and Harder to setup, And not as nice in end result anyway, the way light density attenuation etc works with applied texture on top of it, is something you simply do not acheive with the same ease and softness attenuation as volumetric sprites.

Oldcode

I have not fully figured out how to do proper rendering and navigating the nodes in 2019 yet, so no, I will not be upgrading. I need to get that RH tutorial on how to render and actually use 2019 on a project first before I upgrade. I still have version 8 installed on my computer because 8 has some plugins and tools that won't work on 9 and up, but I still mostly use 2015 because I'm just used to it and it works well with Poser which I use a lot as well.

Besides, if Newtek does what it has in the past, add a few tools to Layout while ignoring Modeler, then it's not worth it.

Greenlaw

Eat your peas.
I would purchase it. While I may be looking at an alternative to fall back on these days, I still actively use LightWave for studio and personal work, and see no immediate urgency to switch yet.

There's a 2D animation program I use regularly at the studio where I work and in my personal projects, called Moho Pro. Moho found itself in a similar situation a year ago, when development stopped and the publisher released an unfinished and buggy version. Most Moho Pro users and studios reverted to the previous release since that version was rock solid. It felt like a long cold winter though because the publisher was completely silent about the future of the program. Then, a couple of months ago, it was announced that the original creator/publisher, Lost Marble, re-acquired the program, and suddenly the future looks very bright for Moho Pro. I for one, am very excited about this because I love using this program, and now it looks like I'm going to be able to keep using new releases in the future. (FYI, Almost every shot on my last two studio demo reels was done using Moho Pro (along with some LightWave work too.))

Call me an optimist but I'm hoping LightWave will see a similar resurrection this year. If not, well, that's why I have a backup plan. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom