Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Will you upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Probably

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingzeta

Do you have to use a completely different class for that?
it´s by no means at all equivalent to software comparison where software comparison it inevitable and in many cases useful when talking about upgrading..and the reasons therefore.

If you refer to coFfee arguments and complaints between brands etc and cars, etc..and compare that with 3D related software in a 3D thread..then I think you are stretching your analogy to far really, just to enforce a point that you can´t discuss anything else.

Now..for example, How would the case of someone argueing to get a flashlight instead of making candles be equivalent to a case of a description where Lightwaves cpu needs to be gpu, and a ellaboration on that with proof of the GPU doing the renders faster, by referencing to octane or blender?

It´s not appliable at all, there´s more context and detail to such 3D discussion than you ever can extract from that simplifed and completly different class case reference of a flashlight and candlemaking argument, it just doesnt work.
An analogy is used to simplify a point so it can be seen more clearly, or from a different perspective. An analogy is never meant to encompass every nuance of the subject matter it is reflecting. You are intelligent enough to get the point, but I fear even if I came up with a near perfect analogy, you would overlook the lesson, because you desire not to hear it, and instead focus on some aspect that isn't an exact equivalency. In essence some people speak different languages even when they are speaking in the same one. This also may not make sense to you.

Nothing you say on the forum is invalid in your own eyes, so to you it doesn't matter that blender makes up most of your recent conversation on a Lightwave forum. You are more comfortable here than on the blender forums, so you bring the blender forum to us. I think you should be free to speak here, but also respectful of what software the forum is for, and that lots of blender talk creates clutter that has to be read through to find answers to questions about LW. The blender answers can be found on the blender forums for those who are interested.

If Lightwave is a dead software, then the archives of these forums may be the only way to get an answer to some questions in the future. Imagine having to read through tons of tips for another software and the following arguments about software, just to find that one post, where a guy who knows enough about Lightwave tells you how to do it in Lightwave rather than the oh so helpful "better way" in a app your are not using.

prometheus

REBORN
An analogy is used to simplify a point so it can be seen more clearly, or from a different perspective. An analogy is never meant to encompass every nuance of the subject matter it is reflecting. You are intelligent enough to get the point, but I fear even if I came up with a near perfect analogy, you would overlook the lesson, because you desire not to hear it, and instead focus on some aspect that isn't an exact equivalency. In essence some people speak different languages even when they are speaking in the same one. This also may not make sense to you.

Nothing you say on the forum is invalid in your own eyes, so to you it doesn't matter that blender makes up most of your recent conversation on a Lightwave forum. You are more comfortable here than on the blender forums, so you bring the blender forum to us. I think you should be free to speak here, but also respectful of what software the forum is for, and that lots of blender talk creates clutter that has to be read through to find answers to questions about LW. The blender answers can be found on the blender forums for those who are interested.

If Lightwave is a dead software, then the archives of these forums may be the only way to get an answer to some questions in the future. Imagine having to read through tons of tips for another software and the following arguments about software, just to find that one post, where a guy who knows enough about Lightwave tells you how to do it in Lightwave rather than the oh so helpful "better way" in a app your are not using.

An analogy by itself no matter how it is choosen isn´t the way to go, it really has to have relevance..despite if you choose a simplified one.

This is pure nonsense, this must be what you make up in your own mind, it surely isn´t not anything I can relate to being slightly true, I am human..I can make invalid cases as well, but unless someone is presenting something to showcase that..why would I ever commit to agree to my standings being invalid?
don´t put your ideas on how to how my mind is working or what my thoughts are, cause it´s just your delusions of how my mind works, and again..am am of course subject to making invalid comments just as anyone else.

Same with the nonsense of you accusing me of bringing the blender forum over here, just because I am more comfortable here, what on earth is that kind of nonsense rambling, this is for you obviously an excercise in argumenting techniques though it just flips in to a completel backward volt
as highly unlogical, then I wouldn´t take about blender positives would I, but continue with the praise of Lightwave I had there wouldn´t I ?

go back to post 203 here and check that extraction I made, where I answered those who felt lightwave was being dead.

Did you read my posts at blender forum, don´t bring that last paragraph in to this debate, I have never spoken about lightwave as being dead, nothing but defending Lightwave over there.

go there, read up before you come to these weird conclusions, get back with a better understanding of my intents, and not what you think.

I think you should be free to speak here, but also respectful of what software the forum is for, and that lots of blender talk creates clutter that has to be read through to find answers to questions about LW.

This above, it´s not you who set´s the rule, nor I, those can be found in the forum rules and what moderators have said previously, what I talk about is according to me following the forum rules, moderators have made much of that clear as well, if not..point to where it would be out of order, not just saying I am not abeying to the rules.

Seems you don´t have much of an idea of what the forum is about either if you set your own rule to not allowing discussing other software on a per case basis where it´s not a promotion.

I can only see these latest comments as you seem to have fallen in to an urge of making your case in argumentation, while it suffers any supporting bone to the flesh of your case, as having anything to do with what we are actually writing about in terms of why not upgrading or why to upgrade, and the technical matters around it all.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Or one might come to the conclusion that it's maybe better to use an 'alive', modern software which is more versatile, easy and efficient to use, without all these limitations (see some examples in my previous post) - and where the vendor actually cares about its users and the application's future.

You could probably talk about modo, or a volvo, or space x rockets and argumentin around that in the most peculiar ways to make up an analogy you think Sounds good too,
But just as long as you do not mention any realy substance behind it when comparing features or handling of tasks..not with blender.
:D

prometheus

REBORN
Haha yes, true. That's maybe because for most LW users, Blender is kind of an opponent, cheaper than LW (free), modern and very actively developed.

With other applications they often bring up argument like 'yes but it's 3x more expensive'...

Which is not completely true if you calculate all plugins required to make the best use of LW - while still having countless limitations and tedious workflow compared to the more expensive packages.

If the Blender Foundation continues development in this pace, I think it will be the same issue for other 3D applications too. LightWave was just so much behind that it was easy to catch up and overtake.

I see it the same way as you, I use what's best in each application. Where Blender is great - I use it, where LW is cool to use - LW it is, Houdini where it makes sense (but I don't know it well enough, so not really for me) and for the most stuff Cinema 4D with its incredbile plugin ecosystem or specific other applications (like landscape tools) where it makes sense.

Nothing to argue there, my arguments is only with those who have their own made up fantasies about what my intentions are without having a possible slightest idea, since that is only reserved for me to know, if they would be able to get a slightest hint..and also have any legitimacy do construct that view to pose judgment of my intentions, they should have followed each post i have done in favour of lightwave here, and in favour of lightwave over at blender forums, and the same when it comes to when I bash blender over here, and over at blender forums.

My recent biggest dislike of blender is how the fluid smoke system went with mantaflow, had hoped for better stuff there, my latest likes about it?that is for me to know and for others to find out at a later stage.

But they only see what they see..in front of their eyes and not out of range from their views, though that should be valid as wel.

Would be nice if vizrt could make things much clearer, wether it would be to come to a conclusion of shutting it down with statements, then this thread could be shut down to avoid unnecessary speculation as well, if not...it will obviously bring up questions and arguments on Why someone will not upgrade, it´s in its nature to do so.

Or if they choose to say..yes we will continue it´s development, then much may take another turn as well.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
I think I'm gonna back out of this thread...just walk slowly backwards...everything's cool....There's no drama....Not making any eye contact...,
j-u-s-t s-l-o-wl-y- w-a-l-k-i-n-g a-w-a-y....

Don´t worry, I will invite you for dinner later with some fava beans and a nice chianti..what else are friends for, Ta ta.
😬

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
I speak only for myself but here is my situation :
I'v used LW professionally, every single day since the last 20 years. The first 10 years in a company, the last 10 years as a freelance.
For the last 10 years, I've happily bought every LW version. Every time, I purchased it for 2 reasons : for the new features, and as a thank you because LW put food in my plate.
LW 2018 was the first version that I purchased only because I wanted to be up to date. No new feature that I really needed.
Same for LW 2019, but back then I started to worry about the lack of really cool new feature. But hey, LW had been my partner for 20 years so I paid for the upgrade, just to help developpers.
I bought LW 2020 as well, thinking "There nothing for me in it", I installed it and saw how buggy it was, simply unusable in production.
So no, I won't buy LW 2021, if it ever exists, I've paid enough, I've done my part. Consider I "helped" the developpers with the last 3 versions of LW, and in my point of view, the let me down.
That won't take away all the love I have for LW, but at the end of the day, NT is a company and I'm a customer, not a friend.
Where does that put me, in your opinion ?
In my opinion, on the surface of it, it places you in the grown up adult category.

I say on the surface because I haven't done any digging into your previous posts and am only going by the above quote. But any individual of adult age who has a strong grasp of what their goals and objectives are and makes decisions that gives them the best chance of succeeding at achieving those ambitions. Who utilises their time and energy focusing on those goals and objectives all the way through to completion without deviating on non productive, irrelevant and time wasting exersises. Then that person has the mentality of a mature, responsible adult in my book. And is someone I would want on my team.

On the other hand (and I'm not saying this relates to you) there are those who classifiy themselves as being an adult but seemingly spend all their time focusing, and publically ranting about how unfair their lot in life is and how unhappy they are. Who then subsequently decide to place the blame squarely at the feet of a company with whom they've spent money with.

A company which made a tool that they use (for some reason), but whom they perceive to be giving them the silent treatment and not delivering the latest and greatest features or service that they've seen in competitve tools, and have now come to feel and expect that they are entitled to a much better service and toolset (understandably), but can't accept certain realities and don't know or are unwilling to move on. So they continually rant on about the same issues year in and year out ad nauseum, tiring all those around them.

In my opinion, those individuals are nothing more than an emotionally immature, petulant children who have WAY too much time on their hands and need to grow up.

TreyX

Big Kahuna
Not true, Look at some of the blender forum threads.

But you got your chance to express yourself with that statement..for sure.
im a professional, using professional tools. why would i want to waste my time on the blender forums? you are part of the dysfunction here, prometheus, as you are one of the blender trolls spamming this community. this is my last post here, as my studio transitioned to maya last week, and we are migrating our pipeline accordingly. i'm sure no tears will be shed by my departure. my time is better spent being productive and creative, and not arguing with blender forum rejects in what is supposed to be a LW community.

prometheus

REBORN
im a professional, using professional tools. why would i want to waste my time on the blender forums? you are part of the dysfunction here, prometheus, as you are one of the blender trolls spamming this community. this is my last post here, as my studio transitioned to maya last week, and we are migrating our pipeline accordingly. i'm sure no tears will be shed by my departure. my time is better spent being productive and creative, and not arguing with blender forum rejects in what is supposed to be a LW community.

Oh my..rarely have I heard such a nonsense.

You asked for it, and for you to even logicly consider this..

to Quote you you...
TreyX said:
" this has got to be the most dysfunctional "community" in existence. "

With that logic you obviously need to check more forums than Lightwave don´t you, that is what I responded to, then you assert why would you ever waste your time in there on another forum, if it ever was a little to control how dysfunctional blender forums can be, don´t you get it?
or do you think I am trying to get you to engage there and use blender?...blah, what a logical back volt.

And no, I am not a troll..if you don´t can back that up I would call it abusive personal attacks in this forum, I probably have contributed in favour to this community more than you ever have.
If you accuse me of being a troll without even having something to back up your assertments, then that is a bit of abuse and personal attack, when I post here, it is about functions and how the tools or software works, I do not spam it by accusing others to be trolls.

The problem is guys like you inflate things when you don´t have to, you see trolls where there is none.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Just reported it to abuse..

prometheus

REBORN
It's like teenagers squabbling..

Nope we are all adults here, the babbling? it´s everywhere, by adults and usually smart guys..It happens when they get emotional..It´s in other forums, which I directed to, it´s in politics, it´s on NHL playoffs..and of course, even by those in here pretending to be adults.
Even teenagers can do better than that, it´s not about teenagers babbling, it´s about people not having the common sense to assert whatever they assert with logic and instead continue to attacking others because they are too emotional.

Not sure if one should cry ..or laugh on all the postings of complaints towards those who complaints on Lightwave and what it needs for upgrading
( well I don´t) but those who feel the topics are not followed, then engange in posts after post by complaining about those mentioning blender here and there, and continue with all that argument, despite it is not neither off topic or breaking forum rules, and all that is even more irrelevant as posts is stacking up with that babbling.

What they could do is report spam, or abuse if a post is just that, then save the time of arguing a case they probably do not have anyway.

Last edited:

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Sadly I’m ignoring him, lot’s of knowledge, but it’s just not good for the soul.
Yeah, I'm going to do the same.

It's a New Year and after last year, I really don't want any further exposure to the Colin Robinson's and Malvin's of this world.

Trying to navigate a world gone mad is hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom