Will you upgrade/buy when/if Lightwave 2021 comes out?

Will you upgrade?

  • Yes

    Votes: 44 57.1%
  • Probably

    Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 13 16.9%
  • No

    Votes: 8 10.4%

  • Total voters
    77
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

prometheus

REBORN
Upgrading for the sake of it actually coming out? absolutely no.

Upgrading for the very reason of it having good enough features and improvements, possibly..but no absolute, depends on the status of the developing team, and perhaps also their policy around development.
And not many nor any serious bugs crawlin as MauricioPc mentioned.

So douze points goes to...ehm, my vote goes to..maybe.
 

kyuzo

Member
I have upgraded when the features on offer meant an improvement to my toolset.
I realise that developers need paying, but I can't justify spending £500 every year just because an upgrade is rushed out. If development has gone into hibernation because of how 2020 has panned out (meaning the year, not LW2020), I can cope with that. Id rather wait a few years for a good update, rather than a weak update be rushed out for the sake of hitting an annual release schedule.

I started using Lightwave when being a user felt like being in a fan club. I'd want to upgrade to support it. But money is tight, and I'd have to feel an upgrade is justified.
So it's a 'maybe' from me.
 
There was a gap between 2015 and 1018, maybe there is restructuring and plans to release a version like between version 2020 and version 2023. even if there isn't one due for 2021, or 2022.
 

kyuzo

Member
I seem to recall that there were lenthy periods between 7, 8 and 9 too. It's what I was used to, and honestly, I'm fine with that.
 

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
They still owe a working version of 2020. They already have my money for that. For some months now, and is completely unusable for me due to it's unreliability.

So, they'll have to have a SOLID, demonstrably fixed & working version of 202X.0 before I'd even consider it. And SEVERELY discounted as in should be a completely free upgrade for those who shelled out for 2020.
 

jwiede

Electron wrangler
There was a gap between 2015 and 1018, maybe there is restructuring and plans to release a version like between version 2020 and version 2023. even if there isn't one due for 2021, or 2022.

Well, good luck with that. Seems like you're looking back at the 2015-2018 gap with extremely rosy-colored glasses (esp. overlooking customer attrition), but sure, why not.

- - - Updated - - -

I seem to recall that there were lenthy periods between 7, 8 and 9 too. It's what I was used to, and honestly, I'm fine with that.

There were lengthy periods, but there were also development discussions w.r.t. Open Beta, and other "ongoing development" communication in those periods. This bears little resemblance.
 
Last edited:

Tim Parsons

Active member
If it comes out under the banner of a different owner, absolutely yes! To show support. I know it won't come out under the NT/Vizrt banner, so this is a stupid pole. :)
 

RPSchmidt

Member
If it comes out under the banner of a different owner, absolutely yes! To show support. I know it won't come out under the NT/Vizrt banner, so this is a stupid pole. :)

I agree that under Vizrt, a 2021 seems extremely unlikely, especially given the circumstances of the past month, month and a half. I would definitely throw in with a new owner, initially to show support and with luck, because they take the software in the direction it needs go... Forward.
 

OFF

pass:sword
Without guarantees that the LW will develop further, I cannot now decide to buy the 2020 version. If it is announced that LW will be released further, I will start by purchasing the 2020 version (although a number of its bugs confuse me a lot).
But if it turns out that the LW will no longer exist - neither within Newtek / Vizrt, nor within the framework of another owner's company - I will switch to Houdini Indie, relying on LW.
But I still really hope that the LW will continue his glorious campaign! )
 

JamesCurtis

Active member
i love using LW. I don't want to learn a new SW program at my age. I would definitely support it if it was made available in 2021. I was trying to save for it anyways. Always have!!
 

vncnt

Well-known member
They still owe a working version of 2020. They already have my money for that. For some months now, and is completely unusable for me due to it's unreliability.

So, they'll have to have a SOLID, demonstrably fixed & working version of 202X.0 before I'd even consider it. And SEVERELY discounted as in should be a completely free upgrade for those who shelled out for 2020.

I agree. Too often I need to force layout.exe to stop, during an unstopable playback.
 

Wickedpup

Member
I would definitely throw in with a new owner, initially to show support and with luck, because they take the software in the direction it needs go... Forward.
Watched that Phillip Nelson video on YT where he stated that he had tried to buy LW from NT a few years ago when he left, and that he still hadn't given up on that. Maybe now would be a good time?
 

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I hope he can try and bring interested parties to support that buy. NewTek, sell the damn thing.
I love advice like this, it makes everything so clear and easy. Find some guy, sell him LW. Piece of cake, so let's quit shilly-shallying.

In the real world, supposing there was a desire to find a new home for LW (and I'm not saying there is), a responsible vendor that cared about its loyal customer base would presumably want to find a good home for the product, one that held out at least a reasonable hope of stability, capacity, business acumen, funding, etc., etc. And even then, myriad legal details, entanglements and potential pitfalls might arise that would have to be amicably (or at least agreeably) resolved by all parties. No problem, right? Right?
 

Bill Carey

there is no sanctuary....
If it comes out under the banner of a different owner, absolutely yes! To show support. I know it won't come out under the NT/Vizrt banner, so this is a stupid pole. :)

I don't know if I'd call it stupid any more than I'd call your post racist (your spell checker didn't help you), I find the results so far pretty interesting.
 

RPSchmidt

Member
I love advice like this, it makes everything so clear and easy. Find some guy, sell him LW. Piece of cake, so let's quit shilly-shallying.

In the real world, supposing there was a desire to find a new home for LW (and I'm not saying there is), a responsible vendor that cared about its loyal customer base would presumably want to find a good home for the product, one that held out at least a reasonable hope of stability, capacity, business acumen, funding, etc., etc. And even then, myriad legal details, entanglements and potential pitfalls might arise that would have to be amicably (or at least agreeably) resolved by all parties. No problem, right? Right?

jweide took rather the same approach in a reply on another post.

But the fact is, three quarters of the work was done when Newtek was valuated when it was purchased by Vizrt; as a an IP owned by Newtek, Lightwave had to be calculated into that valuation.

So at a minimum, the total value of Lightwave, it's licensing, and technology have all undergone that process.

The outright sale of it is a reasonably known value, as well as the relative intricacies of its wholly-owned and licensed technologies.

As far as the business acumen of a potential buyer / buyers... Well, show me the scale that can accurately measure that given any number of variables for any technology-based startup. It is literally a crapshoot, regardless of the skills or desires of the individual or teams involved. You could honestly have one of the best products with the most conscientious and devoted team, a stable funding base, great marketing and an enthusiastic user base and still fail.

In this situation for us, the end-users / customers, it really boils down to a single question; will there be future development and releases of Lightwave?

If the answer with Vizrt is no, then it is only logical that regardless of any number of unquantifiable variables, the user base wants to see Lightwave development continue and would want it to be sold to an individual / individuals with that intent.

I personally voted Yes to this poll; if Vizrt produces LW2021, I will buy it. I just think that it seems unlikely at this point that they will, given the loss and / or reassignment of key developers with intimate knowledge of the technology.

All that to say, YES... I would prefer a future where, despite the challenges, there was an unequivocated clear answer that Lightwave will continue development.

If that is Vizrt's intent, fine.

If it isn't, then it doesn't matter who buys it.... It will be a challenge regardless.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom