Who is using the 2-Strip or 4-Strip Panels?

stephenwyker

Rant ahead.

TC1 users who came from the TC1LP panel (with all hard keys) -- Got sent a 2-Strip (as my LP slowly became unusable) and finding this new one almost unusable. I come from a real switcher background, so using M/Es for EVERYTHING.

Has someone found a DIRECT way to mimic the prior way of using M/E delegates to select the bus, on screen tab, and strip at the same time, WITHOUT having to press and hold DLGT STRIPE, wait a second, then find the M/E you want on the soft key on the screen? It seems so counter intuitive when there are hard keys in the corner.

Additionally, the key mapping, still doesn't work correctly, the banks seem to have a mind of their own, regardless of the order of the mappings in the control surface.

I set up Macros to change the DLGT STRIPE to whichever M/E was loaded in Preview. Tabs were already set to follow Preview. Haven’t done any key mapping so can’t offer anything there. Manually switching using DLGT STRIPE each time was slowing me down as well.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I set up Macros to change the DLGT STRIPE to whichever M/E was loaded in Preview. Tabs were already set to follow Preview. Haven’t done any key mapping so can’t offer anything there. Manually switching using DLGT STRIPE each time was slowing me down as well.
Is the two button delegate method really the problem, or are you finding that the selection response time is not good?

dhodlick

Create macros to assign the top stripe to your desired ME. Then attach automations to the ME buttons in preview that recall the macro for the corresponding ME. The fact that you even have to do this is beyond me (also coming from a broadcast switching bkgd..) but it is what it is. To change switcher mapping, you have to do it in the pre-load screen. I think it's called "add on's" or something - I'm not at the TC1 right now. For me, I select "2 stripe" (even though I have an IP 2-stripe) and start re-mapping. The way this function operates is really clunky too, but it works.

EDIT: You have to do this every time you create a new session unless you create your sessions from a pre-configured template.

Is the two button delegate method really the problem, or are you finding that the selection response time is not good?
Sorry Steve...not sure if you are asking me this or responding to the original post. I have no issue with the response time. I mainly use the top stripe for M/E setup and adjustments so having it follow the Preview bus covers me 90% of the time. I have a 2-Stripe panel.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Yes, I was inquiring since you mentioned "Manually switching using DLGT STRIPE each time was slowing me down as well." I was wondering if you were finding a performance issue, since otherwise both Delegate Stripe and the Macro method are two button workflows.

dhodlick

DLGT stripe is a two button workflow. Macro (attached to automation attached to MEx button) is one. The required arm movement to the upper ME and mashing the two buttons increases the actual ME switching process time by at least 2x as well. When switching a show, my brain is full so a switcher must make it easier to do my job without asking me to do unnecessary things in the process. This is the same issue as what was mentioned a while back regarding the moving of the PTZ tab and changing that functionality. It was a well intended change, but the response from the 'boots on the ground' using the machine was that it took longer to do what they wanted to do.

Last edited:

stephenwyker

Yes, I was inquiring since you mentioned "Manually switching using DLGT STRIPE each time was slowing me down as well." I was wondering if you were finding a performance issue, since otherwise both Delegate Stripe and the Macro method are two button workflows.
Its both a performance issue (You have to wait for the screens to completely draw to select them) and like dhodlick said, its a headspace thing. It's beyond me why all of this is required, when a) the prior product did it, the same way that every other industry standard M/E capable switcher does it, and b) if you are going to change it, make sure it works effectively. I'll try to the macro idea when I'm back in front of the panel. I can only imagine this being even more challenging this will be when we update to the TC2 (or VMC1 haven't finalized) and have double the amount of M/Es .

stephenwyker

Several challenges here. I want to assign the TOP M/E button (in the positioner section) to run a macro. Which I can't seem to do. I dont want to (nor should I have to) put it in preview first (I did make that work btw) for this to function. As for remapping, there is def bugs there, I dragged stuff around and even though on the key list, there are duplicates, there are on the panel and only part of the mapping shows up correctly. I've addressed this via protek support, but they seem to only decide to respond once a week, or whatever seems to work for them vs ya know, me, the customer being railroaded for the outrageous cost of ultra support..... but ya know.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I can only imagine this being even more challenging this will be when we update to the TC2 (or VMC1 haven't finalized) and have double the amount of M/Es .
Actually, doing it this way means you aren't looking for an unused qualifier key to extend the delegate selection if the number of M/Es changes, as it will if you switch to a TC2E.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
As for remapping, there is def bugs there, I dragged stuff around and even though on the key list, there are duplicates, there are on the panel and only part of the mapping shows up correctly.
There was a bug a while back that involved unwanted duplicates. If you see a problem like that, and you're up to date, please report it.

stephenwyker

There was a bug a while back that involved unwanted duplicates. If you see a problem like that, and you're up to date, please report it.
Report to who. I can’t get them to respond to protek tickets I report now in a timely fashion. A bug report might as well be a message in a bottle.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
EDIT: You have to do this every time you create a new session unless you create your sessions from a pre-configured template.
This should not be the case. Perhaps something is preventing the configuration from being stored correctly, but this is not how it's intended to work.

dhodlick

This should not be the case. Perhaps something is preventing the configuration from being stored correctly, but this is not how it's intended to work.
I was talking about the ME automations, not the switcher re-mapping. Sorry for not being clearer

nviera777

Could you share what macro you used to assign the top stripe delegation? I was trying to work through this but did not see any macro commands that changed the stripe delegation on the CS?? I'm sure I must just be missing it, any help would be great? Thanks!

angoliam

DLGT stripe is a two button workflow. Macro (attached to automation attached to MEx button) is one. The required arm movement to the upper ME and mashing the two buttons increases the actual ME switching process time by at least 2x as well. When switching a show, my brain is full so a switcher must make it easier to do my job without asking me to do unnecessary things in the process. This is the same issue as what was mentioned a while back regarding the moving of the PTZ tab and changing that functionality. It was a well intended change, but the response from the 'boots on the ground' using the machine was that it took longer to do what they wanted to do.
I have to agree, moving the PTZ table has slowed us down as well.

Does anyone else have an issue with the size and location of the of the Take/Auto buttons. Since those buttons are used most of the time, they should be a bit larger like they are on the old 460 Control Surface. Also if you are sitting center on the Control Surface, the Take Auto buttons should be moved a bit more to the right for comfort and to set them apart from the input rows. I know there is a slim to none chance of it getting replaced for us but it may help others.

dhodlick

Could you share what macro you used to assign the top stripe delegation? I was trying to work through this but did not see any macro commands that changed the stripe delegation on the CS?? I'm sure I must just be missing it, any help would be great? Thanks!
It's a two step process. Create a macro that changes the ME delegate. That's step 1. Then attach that macro to a button press on the preview stripe via your automations tab.

Top Bottom