Which AntiVirus to choose?

TerryHiggins

I was wondering what is the best antivirus i can install on my pc.. I was thinking Mcafee or avast.
I've been very satisfied with Fsecure in terms of security, but lately I've grown tired of the constant nags about their other software they insist on pushing in my face.
What I'm interested in:
  • Good detection rates, would need to score very high on this.
  • Few false positives - which has gotten to be problem in Fsecure lately.
  • Light on memory and CPU use when running in background.
  • Protection for viruses, PUPs, malware etc in one package.
I was going through to the comparison between Avast and Mcafee here https://www.reviewsed.com/mcafee-vs-avast/
I am still doing a few bit of research.. Need some recomendations.

Kryslin

Which operating system are you using?

I'm an Avast user (win 10 Pro), but be warned that Avast has nags for their other software, even in their paid versions.
Microsoft Defender is supposed to be fairly good, and has the added bonus of not having to use modified files to do its job.

speismonqui

I've always used some Antivirus Software (Comodo, Avast, AVG) but I don't anymore. I rely on Microsoft Security and have the free version of Malwarebytes which I use to scan frequently. I' am very happy with those and most important I haven't had any issues in a long time.

Windows 10 Home. Version 1903, Build 18362.959

The built in Windows 10 Security is almost always enough as long as you keep it up to date. That's all I've used for many years.

prometheus

REBORN
The built in Windows 10 Security is almost always enough as long as you keep it up to date. That's all I've used for many years.

No antitrojan protection shield in Windows 10 Security?
I use Avast and have used it for many many years, an update the other day now includes antitrojan protection shield, which previously only was for premium versions, mine is the free version.

That said, I thought a version many years ago was better, better and simpler UI, without too much ads for itself popping up, and at that time it also included a sandbox for virtual testing..which now is premium only.

Previously I have had norton, which was slowing down the system so massively and also making it hard to use software, that had to go..and it was very hard to unistall as well...so no more norton.
Mcafee I had also, but after some reports where Macafee would erase your whole system after reboot, I choose to never use that.
Antivir, very slow and demanding on the processes.

So that leaves me to use avast, it´s not perfect but "seem" to do a good job..but you never know, the firewall isn´t included in avast free, but windows 10 security is taking care of that..which firewall is the best? that I do not know..the other settings in windows security for
antivirus is on overide by Avast..which can be seen in windows security settings.

ESET NOD32..I haven´t tried..but that one has been recommended as one of the best.

If to choose from Avast and McAfee, I personally choose Avast.
If you get false positives, you can always exclude a file, folder or software from the warnings and include it as exception to be secure.

And a rating list, you may need to check more sources to get a better picture of the ratings, and in this for example, both McAfee and norton is rated higher than avast, but from my (previous) experiences..those were not a good choice, but it may be better now, and there are some others rated at the top which I haven´t even heard of before.
https://www.antivirussoftwareguide.com/free-antivirus-software

Last edited:

kenvvvandervort

I love the comparison such as McAffee vs Avast or Norton vs PCMatic because after reading such reviews you can't understand which antivirus to choose. My recommendations, install one antivirus, work with it during the month, then try another one and continue this until you will not choose the best one for you.

built in Windows 10
yup.

That is the problem with common sense(only worth $0.02), it is all to common these days which makes no sense. What do you think of Bitdefender?(they have been around along time. I don't have a watch; they say time flies, apparently mine flew south for the winter...silly old bear....

scallahan1

Still...Absolute Amateur
Re: "Language is a virus."

I actually watched that whole show that this version of the song came from on YouTube earlier this year. That is my favorite song in her whole collection. Most of her other stuff I don't care too much for but the chorus of this song is really catchy. :)

Steve

prometheus

REBORN
Re: "Language is a virus."

I actually watched that whole show that this version of the song came from on YouTube earlier this year. That is my favorite song in her whole collection. Most of her other stuff I don't care too much for but the chorus of this song is really catchy. :)

Steve

For me there´s more good stuff from her, I think I have a cd from her somewhere, I also liked "Oh Superman", and "strange angels"
Didn´t know that she was married to Lou Reed though...until now.

scallahan1

Still...Absolute Amateur
Now I remember how I found her. A girl at one of my delivery locations was talking to me about my "strange" music interests and she thought I'd like Laurie's music and she mentioned the Superman song. I actually wasn't really fond of that but thought I'd give that concert movie of her's "Home of the Brave" a listen. The only standout song for me was "Language".

But this thread is about AntiVirus. The two I use (on different systems) are Trend Micro and Kasperky. Like them both. Kaspersky hates my YouTube login and is always preventing me from liking/subscribing/commenting on stuff. I have to exit the browser, pause it and go back to YT again. Very annoying. I can't say much about their "small" impact on the system as they are both full-blown pay software.

Steve

PS> Just listened to "strange angels" for the first time. I kind of like it.

Last edited:

BeeVee

ex-LightWave documentation
I went to see Laurie Anderson in concert back in the 80s. She was experimenting with a new thing called MIDI that allowed her to link pads she put on her body to sounds her synth could make. She did a four-minute drum solo/dance routine with no instruments. Of course, it being the 80s, there were thin cables everywhere somewhat spoiling the aesthetic.

B

prometheus

REBORN
Now I remember how I found her. A girl at one of my delivery locations was talking to me about my "strange" music interests and she thought I'd like Laurie's music and she mentioned the Superman song. I actually wasn't really fond of that but thought I'd give that concert movie of her's "Home of the Brave" a listen. The only standout song for me was "Language".

But this thread is about AntiVirus. The two I use (on different systems) are Trend Micro and Kasperky. Like them both. Kaspersky hates my YouTube login and is always preventing me from liking/subscribing/commenting on stuff. I have to exit the browser, pause it and go back to YT again. Very annoying. I can't say much about their "small" impact on the system as they are both full-blown pay software.

Steve

PS> Just listened to "strange angels" for the first time. I kind of like it.

I think Oh Superman is pure brilliance and so geniously setup, it´s more experimental art though than the kind of pure rock/pop style, I do however understand that not many people may like her tunes, it´s perhaps a bit too experimental.

Strange angels is a nice one as well...which is easier on the music scale leaning towards at that time more mainstream, it made it to some movie soundtrack as well.
She also did a little contribute in One of Peter Gabriels videos (this is the picture/excellent birds) though that song isn´t really one that I like that much. '
But No wonder that I also happened to like Lauries style since it seems to be in proximity to the realm of Peter Gabriel ..which was my biggest music idol many years ago.

But as the song says, Language is a virus, it infected this thread to be something it shouldn´t be :)
So for virus in the sense of the machine world viruses, I just use Avast free version..and windows defender takes care of some other stuff.

Last edited:

paulk

I was wondering what is the best antivirus i can install on my pc.. I was thinking Mcafee or avast.
I've been very satisfied with Fsecure in terms of security, but lately I've grown tired of the constant nags about their other software they insist on pushing in my face.
What I'm interested in:
  • Good detection rates, would need to score very high on this.
  • Few false positives - which has gotten to be problem in Fsecure lately.
  • Light on memory and CPU use when running in background.
  • Protection for viruses, PUPs, malware etc in one package.
I was going through to the comparison between Avast and Mcafee here https://www.reviewsed.com/mcafee-vs-avast/
I am still doing a few bit of research.. Need some recomendations.

I've been a McAfee person, based on computer mag and Consumer Reports reviews.

Also, does your ISP provide a "security suite" as part of your account? Mine provides McAfee. Free can tip the balance.

prometheus

REBORN
There was an incident many years ago regarding McAfee, where a bug seem to cause a risc of McAfee to erase your system..after that incident, I have not given McAfee any second thought.
Norton I had to ban cause it crippled my system to halt and also hard to uninstall all components.
antivir too slow.

Avast has probably worked best for me without any big issues, though I think they made the newer versions less attractive when they changed UI, it was better before, also now it keeps pop up with too many ads for itself and components not in the free version, but it´s still tolerable.

Last edited:

kenvvvandervort

To be honest, it is impossible to find the ideal antivirus so you should choose what you like more. I use ESET NOD 32 Antivirus and it works well for me. I used McAfee before but I was not satisfied.

Qexit

I've used a variety of anti-virus packages over the years starting way back in the days when my main computer was an Amiga. For the past few years, I have just gone with Windows' built-in protection plus regular runs of CCleaner to tidy up suspect garbage that accumulates at a scary rate these days. Cookies anyone :)

Top Bottom