What Tool Did You Use? Interview With A Fan Film Creator

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Hi all,

As most of you know, the world of TV and film has produced loads of fans for their IPs and every now and again fans come together to produce their own stories to expand upon the universe of their IP of choice.

As time has gone on, the production quality of some fan films have become so good, that they are very close to that of the studios. To a large degree this is due to access to the same tools as the studios, becoming more experienced with the tools, and the ongoing evolution of the tool's capabilities.

One such fan who decided to jump into the fan film creation world is a fellow Brit named Samuel Cockings of the fan film; Temporal Anomaly - A Star Trek Fan Film.

I must admit, I had never heard of him before now and was so impressed with his usage of LightWave that I thought I'd share an Axanar.com interview with him about his work, his tools of choice and his future projects.

Interview Part 1 is here
Interview Part 2 is here

The trailer for Temporal Anomaly

Enjoy all that LightWave 3D goodness.

nice CG.
hard to make perfect mixing with greenscreen.
the acting.... well... ...

Trek-Shorts-A-Long-Way-from-Home-7.jpg

prometheus

REBORN
Still have a quite a bit of work left in my opinion to "get" close to studio tv series quality.
The lighting and shading on the ships isn´t good enough, a bit surprised since I think the pbr shaders would do a better job, if set properly.

The acting, even further away.

Cool anyway.

prometheus

REBORN
It´s also a mix of quite good spaceshoots and rendering, like from 1:15 to 1:20, when it´s really nice, the it suddenly seems like some other artist have taken over and the shoots became drasticly lesser good.

As for actors, also a matter of lighting the actors and grading well, here it is lacking a lot, so they could have used a good grading compositing artist, as well as someone knowing how to Light the actors IRL.

But of course, very limited Budget, so you can´t expect too much.
Fun to watch anyway, and I have read the interview.

RPSchmidt

Still have a quite a bit of work left in my opinion to "get" close to studio tv series quality.
The lighting and shading on the ships isn´t good enough, a bit surprised since I think the pbr shaders would do a better job, if set properly.

The acting, even further away.

Cool anyway.

I think you called it from the start; the lighting is not set up properly.

PBR is nothing without lighting; if the lighting is off, it really doesn't matter how accurate the material is.... the information the material is working with is flawed and the result will be flawed.

prometheus

REBORN
I think you called it from the start; the lighting is not set up properly.

PBR is nothing without lighting; if the lighting is off, it really doesn't matter how accurate the material is.... the information the material is working with is flawed and the result will be flawed.
Yep, I agree.

Top Bottom