What does Lightwave need to bring us up to par with the big guns

Tim Parsons

It's all over anyway for the guy that wants to get into 3D to do some doodling. Adobe will have that market in no time and you can bet it will be expanded on to do motion graphics and of course the big winners will be corporation marketing departments where once they contracted 3D work out due to the complexity, they will now do it in-house as most of them are intrenched in the Adobe world anyway. Adobe Substance 3D

sami

Don't VIZ on the Electric Fence!

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Lightwave's userbase is aging out, lack of significant influx of new users during last decade made that inevitable. Just another cut, at this point.

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
Lack of real improvement led to lack of new users...and has lead to long time users working more and more in other platforms.

At this point, you'd need someone with a ton of money to blow on buying LW, hiring a ton of devs to modernize the code and add new stuff, a bunch more for marketing, etc....all with the understanding they probably wont make their money back..lol

The whole point of a business is to make money. If the owners can make a decent profit then that is a good thing even if they're not top of the hill. Some people here think that Lightwave needs to compete with 3Ds Max and others, which "might" not be true. If the owners can carve a niche out of the market whilst still making good profit then that might be good enough. For example I love Lightwave 3D because of the program, but I also love it because it is one of the very few professional (paid for) 3D apps which you can still buy outright, that in itself puts it in a different niche of its own.

Tim Parsons

The whole point of a business is to make money. If the owners can make a decent profit then that is a good thing even if they're not top of the hill.
If Vizrt wanted to they probably could. But that's obvious that they are not interested. If someone were to buy the IP it would be a uphill battle because of the debt most likely incurred from the purchase and then the cost of developers. It's up to Vizrt, if we don't get an announcement of some sort within the next year, just assume LW is dead - if you already haven't.

Markc

ack ack
Current LW works for me for the foreseeable future, with no updates (also means no cost outlay).
Being a hobbyist, there are tons of tools I have never even touched on.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
The whole point of a business is to make money. If the owners can make a decent profit then that is a good thing even if they're not top of the hill. Some people here think that Lightwave needs to compete with 3Ds Max and others, which "might" not be true. If the owners can carve a niche out of the market whilst still making good profit then that might be good enough.
LW is miles from "competing" with market-leading pkgs like Max, Maya, C4D, etc. LW can't even compete well against Modo at this point. The notion of "LW competing against product x" is meaningless in any case, that's not how markets work. Either your product earns enough revenue to survive or it doesn't, and all evidence (incl. direct statements) show LW hasn't been "in the black" for quite some time. LW isn't "competing" at ALL.

Similarly, people keep talking about LW carving out a niche, but it's all meaningless if that niche doesn't provide enough revenue to sustain LW development with even a miniscule dev team. If LW were "carving out a successful niche", then there'd be at least some evidence of base growth offsetting base attrition. That LW hasn't, and isn't, exhibiting any such signs pretty much proves that whatever niche(s) LW has, they AREN'T enough for LW to "get by". The subsequent cost-cutting termination of the remaining dedicated LW staff proved LW's lack of health rather brutally. Companies don't make cuts that deep if a product is healthy / "in the black", you get that, right?

For example I love Lightwave 3D because of the program, but I also love it because it is one of the very few professional (paid for) 3D apps which you can still buy outright, that in itself puts it in a different niche of its own.
That the overwhelming majority of 3D market-leading products are sold by subscription, and that B2B customers overwhelmingly dominate those purchasing said products by subscription, pretty much disproves your assertion. Whatever fraction of B2B customers share your opinion, there's negligible evidence supporting that fraction as significant enough to support products -- LW certainly didn't receive adequate support.

lwanmtr

Lwanmtr
The lack support is the whole crux of it....after 9.x Lightwave never really had the full backing of NewTek, so they werent able to really keep it up to date.. continual staffing changes, etc were really hard on it.

LW is miles from "competing" with market-leading pkgs like Max, Maya, C4D, etc.
personally i wouldn't touch those, for my workflow.
LW can't even compete well against Modo at this point.
still, Modo users ain't too happy these days either...

but yeah, not like LightWave doesn't need work.
all up in the air now.

airballoon3.png

jwiede

Electron wrangler
still, Modo users ain't too happy these days either...
Yes, yes, the crushing ennui of dealing with timely fixes, regular feature updates, and frequent releases of new, free educational and working content must have them nearly suicidal. :rolleyes:

hm, well, not gonna dive more into that.
check out the complaints over at the Modo forums if you like.

anyway, this thread ran its course.

prometheus

REBORN
Again ...number one, communication and every communication is a two way signal chord for anything of value to pass forth and back.
for all that to be understandable, It needs to be on the same level meaning Vizrt should´nt say a word, and so shouldn´t we..which means complete silence in the forums and the problem is solved..No one would ever know what is going on, for better or worse
Lightwave could be dead, Lightwave could be in another dimension..the point is that there will be no complaint and no need to either.
😁😁

Wickedpup

check out the complaints over at the Modo forums if you like.

Just like in this place, you have those that always complain. And like in this place they also have their share of «users» (mostly former, I guess), even some that frequent both here and there, that does little else than tout Blender at any god given opportunity. (no, prom...I am not talking about you)

prometheus

REBORN
Just like in this place, you have those that always complain. And like in this place they also have their share of «users» (mostly former, I guess), even some that frequent both here and there, that does little else than tout Blender at any god given opportunity. (no, prom...I am not talking about you)
Don´t worry wickedpup, I´ll take any opportunity I can to complain to keep the community vibrant and not just silent, that means complaining about you even daring to be thinking about me in your last post:p
Can´t see why on earth you would even consider me in to this equation🤔

Seriously, it´s summer, got a lot of other things to do than 3D at all, or complaining, I will be sitting on the doc of the bay, waiting for news.

Wickedpup

I was thinking more of the « tout Blender» part of the equation ....seem to rembember someone accusing you of such, so I just wanted to clarify that it wasn't you I had in mind. 🙂

Top Bottom