What can't you create?

prometheus

REBORN
Lightwave doesn´t offer a tool for terrain erosion, blender and houdini does, though blenders landscape erosion tools are slow and tricky to use and perhaps crude, it´s at least something of an attempt to acheive some form of semi good erosions, but I am too newbie on using that tool and need to read up on it, same with Houdini which I believe would do a much better job.

So you are sort of forced to use other tools With Lightwave, while those mentioned may not need to for some basic stuff going on that is.
Additional tools like Gaea and worldmachine etc does those task best though.

prometheus

REBORN
Hello SBowie,

If in a LightWave Forum a user makes again and again for software advertisement the BLENDER is called then the forum Admin must intervene sometime also!

This is the LightWave Forum and not the XYZ software Forum.

It's enough with the Blender advertising! Enough is enough!

This is here the Home > Forums > LightWave 3D User > Community LW - Community Thread

And one user asked.

"When I see footage like this (not too mention watch the movie, Sin City), I wonder to myself what it is that people feel they can't create in LightWave?"

So tell me how long you will tolerate that the user Prometheus permanently hacks my postings to tell about his Blender software.
As I said, I myself use Blender for over 10 years. But that is not the topic here! Here it is about the software LightWave!

If I want to talk about Blender I go to the Blender forum!

Thank you for your understanding.

snip LWGuru
Did you not just read what Sbowie said?

you also have to separate Advertisement from discussion around other tools, just as you would be limiting yourself talking about anything else than lightwave.
The fact that it is a lightwave and other topics forum doesn´t hinder us from talking about other 3D software, advertisement is something else.

Sbowie Quote...
Talk about software, principles, all good

prometheus

REBORN
Hello SBowie,

If in a LightWave Forum a user makes again and again for software advertisement the BLENDER is called then the forum Admin must intervene sometime also!

This is the LightWave Forum and not the XYZ software Forum.

It's enough with the Blender advertising! Enough is enough!

This is here the Home > Forums > LightWave 3D User > Community LW - Community Thread

And one user asked.

"When I see footage like this (not too mention watch the movie, Sin City), I wonder to myself what it is that people feel they can't create in LightWave?"

So tell me how long you will tolerate that the user Prometheus permanently hacks my postings to tell about his Blender software.
As I said, I myself use Blender for over 10 years. But that is not the topic here! Here it is about the software LightWave!

If I want to talk about Blender I go to the Blender forum!

Thank you for your understanding.

snip LWGuru

What is this thread about?
it´s a natural consequence you have to refer to how other software does it, if you explain why Lightwave can´t handle it.

if it´s so sensitive to not acknowledge Lightwave Can´t do it all, but you are not allowed to talk about what it can´t do, then we need to enforce forum rules that bans any such discussion don´t we?

I mention other software, like houdini, or blender, or maya, or gaea, or terragen when it is necessary.
I myself is convinced I do not cross the forum rules, if you feel I hijack your threads, why do you argue about that in here, this is not your Thread, someone else started this thread, and the reason for me talking about other software is a given condition I have to refer to them considering the topic is ..what can you not create.
Rene, drop that emotional bag pack here, if you find your threads Hi Jacked, report it..don´t argue with me about it either.

Besides ..when I try to meet you and decrease the mentioning about blender, you drag me and others in with pokings on, try that in blender ..or similar, you are feeding the snowball down the hill yourself sometimes.

If you seriously are saying we can´t discuss other software, just reflect on yourself any time you have done so, it´s absurd, and it´s absurd to call discussions around other software as advertisement, if they aren´t specificly advertisment.

I also talk about terragen a lot, where it can fill in where Lightwave may not handle somethings..is natural, I have never seen you complain about Terragen, or zbrush etc.

I suppose it wil lend up as usual, people get nausia from reacting to what we can and not can discuss, or people getting a bad stomach hearing about this and that, thus...time to close the thread if it´s not constructive.

ivé tried to bring up what we can´t create(like terrain erosions), but then the discussion continous in to debates about software does not matter, or what is this and that cost for your living or business,
if you say ..this is not at discussion forum for blender, I could say ( which I really don´t) this is not a discussion forum for debating what is free or not, or if artists or software matters to some degree, this is a forum and topics about what we can´t create, that is then what we should at least try and follow...unless you wan´t to join my latest personal brand name called "Hi Jack"
:)

So perhaps, once again..should we drop the personla accusations now or what? and emotional reactions to how correlation dynamics is affecting our "costly lifes"
and think about the time it costs to debate that, and go back to (what can´t we create) I started one section..you just have to read and answer on that to get back in topic again.

We can also take a standpoint of thinking about, what´s the point of arguing about what we can´t create, it´s sometimes valid for other software as well, or should we just agree to ..there is nothing Lightwave can´t do, which may sound nice and such ...but really, true or not?...what kind of confirmation do we seek here?

About your own factor in to bringing in "blender" I think it was you who debated about software matters not really and it´s a lie that software is free, followed by me who didn´t find that logical at all if you spend money then on it, followed by you stating that software isn´t free, which then is a natural consequence I would refer to Free software.
of course software matters, that´s why both you and I invested in Lightwave in the first place, and as you said about me, currently I haven´t found it worth to even contribute to blender community for a single addon.

if you acknowledge software matters, then there´s no issue, if you don´t there is absolutely no logic to why you would ever pay for a software as in just the software(drop the hardware thoughts now)

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
As for what we can´t create.

For constructive purpose, it should be a living discussion on where Lightwave does´t cope, and with a mindset of having users argue about the necessity of having such tools and algorithms directly inside of Lightwave in order to acheive that, and if possible developers taking notes and taking a look at what is possible.
It could be that the conclusion is that ist´s not easy to acheive in the coding, or that it´s simply not worth it depending on if other tools like landscape generators fills that void enough.

Like, the tools of erosions in blender, isn´t really good enough for the competition in my opinion, so in such case I would still opt for using dedicated landscape generators, so for lightwave to implement it, I think if it´s gonna be worth while, it needs even a better level than that.

Now that was of course an advertisement of not Using blender for Terrain erosions, I won´t be picked on or reported for advertizing gaea and world machine or terragen either, because the emotions of hate or loathing against those, is of course not the same...and another factor is that they do costs I reckon.

Less text Prometheus... i can't read that much.

Last edited:
Hi Erikals ,

No, the solution for the separation is quite simple.
It is called dirt node in Octane and in LightWave it is called patina node.
on top of it you put a combination of material mixer and for exmaple turbulance node in the node hierarchy.
the turbulance node then controls the size of the black lumps from min to max. the dirt node controls how much of the yellow and black lava is under the influence of the turbulance node which is used as mask node.

you can also take another procedural as mask node. you can test what looks best. and the joke is. with this surface node set up you can also control the cooling of the lava (or the heating) over time. because the nodes are all animatable. you can simulate the particles either with the lw particle system or use the pic-flip solver with the scatter node. then you use the particles of open vdb. all in all no witchcraft but a pretty simple set up. (if you know how to do it). or in other words. it's not even very complicated. so don't be so quick to be impressed by videos from youtube - university. the only thing that takes some time is to set the correct viscosity of the lava in the solver. this requires some testing.

snip LWGuru

well yes, you can fake it to some degree,
but in Houdini it is using the life-span of the particle as an input, and LightWave can't do that.
(unless VDB in LightWave has particle age ?)

tho' yes, it can be faked to some degree.

UnCommonGrafx

Wandering about
I am appreciative of Kadri's words: I wasn't able to be so eloquent in the reply in my mind's eye.

LWGuru, I think we agree on a few things. My only reply to your earlier post, and some of your other musings, would be the following:
You are preaching to the choir. I, too, have been around since .9 of LW, when the toaster was a dongle. I made trips to Vegas for the parties to meet the creators of the app. I used to be as fanatical as your posts read. ;)
Heck, I've watched it "die" before.
With this and other LW community help, I learned to be able to create anything I wanted to. I was a Luddite about using other 3D software.

Then, one of the big shots I respect greatly said I should be learning Blender, too. I was shocked! Seriously: this was from a NewTek employee, early 2000's, at an NAB in Vegas. His explanation: some things that are in Blender will never make it to LW.
I was not a happy camper. It took me ten MORE years to take his words seriously. Sad, too, as the things I have learned elsewhere, not just Blender, have taught me how to make better use of LW. So, learning other softs helps me to be a better LW artist.

At this juncture, looking at other apps use of nodes and vdbs are essential to better using LW. Dponts node thought is Houdini/maya/bitfrost wanna-be-like in the approach to creating art. All of the theory came from elsewhere. It behooves the good/great artist a moment to check out the source. In this case, the node concepts used in other apps prior to LW having nodes. There are many a concept missing in our node system that restrict creation in many a manner demonstrated in some of those examples.
Limit myself or use stuff that's efficient, equally artistically capable and available that will get the scene (physical part, as it were) completed and ready for rendering wherever. That's why I thought it was a strawman argument: LW can touch many parts of a "What I created!" project; it doesn't have to hold 'top spot' in the list of how it was made. I think, here, LWGuru has a point: it should just say the artist's name, not what the artist used as tools.

prometheus

REBORN
Less text Ivarsson... i can't read that much.

I´m getting old, demented, can´t recall I ever wrote something that lengthy, sorry for my condition :eek::)

And now you are publicly hanging me out there with my full last name:eek:

Lightwave has particle age in VDB, I think I recall that oddly enough.

Quick fire up of Gaea demo again, forget about erosion tools in blender if you want to work in a speedy environment that is, and also about quality and realism.
My demo can only output 1 K, but gives a decent hint on what can be done, so back to the topic of Lightwave not able to create this, maybe it should focus on other things than erosion tools, at least if it can not do it better than blenders implementation.
If I were to be serious about at least some level of terrain generation, I don´t think I would settle for blenders ANT tools for the erosion, and put aside money for Gaea or similar landscape tools for those terrain maps for use together with Lightwave for instance, or Terragen I think.

prometheus

REBORN
Then, one of the big shots I respect greatly said I should be learning Blender, too. I was shocked! Seriously: this was from a NewTek employee, early 2000's, at an NAB in Vegas. His explanation: some things that are in Blender will never make it to LW.
I was not a happy camper. It took me ten MORE years to take his words seriously. Sad, too, as the things I have learned elsewhere, not just Blender, have taught me how to make better use of LW. So, learning other softs helps me to be a better LW artist.

You know, I said I never payed for a single addon yet in blender, but I think I would pay instantely for Dponts conversion of his Rman collection if ported over there, cause natively the fractals are too limited for my taste.

And now you are publicly hanging me out there with my full last name
sorry, fixed.

Lightwave has particle age in VDB, I think I recall that oddly enough.
it does? so i can color VDB particles based on age?... interesting ! Very interesting.

seems few people publicly actually tested LW 2019/2020.

UnCommonGrafx

Wandering about
You know, I said I never payed for a single addon yet in blender, but I think I would pay instantely for Dponts conversion of his Rman collection if ported over there, cause natively the fractals are too limited for my taste.
I do believe we have a planetary issue somewhere in the universe: I agree with you.
lol
I am seeing some LW thinking in some of the new plugins coming out. Mr. Combs (iirc), a LW luminary, has released a few to ease the LWer in.
As for particle based age, find it and show it to the world. I do not believe it is there.

prometheus

REBORN
I do believe we have a planetary issue somewhere in the universe: I agree with you.
lol
I am seeing some LW thinking in some of the new plugins coming out. Mr. Combs (iirc), a LW luminary, has released a few to ease the LWer in.
As for particle based age, find it and show it to the world. I do not believe it is there.

As for my statements, I am not fully sure of it, I could be mistaken and mixed it up, unfortunately I am busy with cloud renderings and some terrain maps right now and rendering of that, so can´t check, not sure I have the time, fluid vdb´s in Lightwave isn´t my thing or getting high on topic for 3D.

Lw Guru should know for sure, so for something of real value to talk about, that´s where he Really should join in and correct if I am mistaken about that.

prometheus

REBORN
Not gonna say a word more "this morning"
I´m already overdue my bedtime, which should have been 2-3 hours ago, I think I gave my best here, now it´s up to you guys to say something useful pertaining this thread.
(oops, way too many words there, can´t compete against that guy who just post a few letters for each post, but holds the record for posting too much, perhaps :sneaky:
But don´t bother anser now erikals, you just started some interesting conversation in your last post, so don´t destroy that intention, and I bid you goodnight...or morning or whatever.

kadri

Haven't we already been through that? :D
When i was writing my post i saw he had 2-3 sentences written.
When i finished my post he was at...13-15 and added even more after that i think.
He writes always that way and i doubt he will change at all.
I just don't read all what he writes...at least when it is very long...Sorry Michael :)

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
When i was writing my post i saw he had 2-3 sentences written.
When i finished my post he was at...13-15 and added even more after that i think.
He writes always that way and i doubt he will change at all.
I just don't read all what he writes...at least when it is very long...Sorry Michael :)

Now you woke me up, but don´t worry, if you miss anything of potentional value of what I have to say, it´s not me to blame.
But then again I think your approach fit´s us all, I don´t read everything from everyone else either, unless I find the overview of particular interest, or a debate I am heavily involved in.
So I trust you have the capability of judging when my comments are nothing more than filling out the debate too much, rather than being straight to the point...just skim the words a bit ..usually the subconcious mind reacts to some words and topics of interest, and when you do find that, you will of course read that and enjoy a good conversation :)

And they say kids read too little these days.

kadri

Now you woke me up, but don´t worry, if you miss anything of potentional value of what I have to say, it´s not me to blame.
But then again I think your approach fit´s us all, I don´t read everything from everyone else either, unless I find the overview of particular interest, or a debate I am heavily involved in.
So I trust you have the capability of judging when my comments are nothing more than filling out the debate too much, rather than being straight to the point...just skim the words a bit ..usually the subconcious mind reacts to some words and topics of interest, and when you do find that, you will of course read that and enjoy a good conversation :)

And they say kids read too little these days.

😀

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Hello SBowie,
Hi. :)
And he does. And when he does, some Blender proponents complain he does so too aggressively. At the same time, others complain that he is not strict enough. And the moderator, having made his best judgement call, will have another sip of coffee and go back to work.

Nope, sorry - it doesn't work like that. Moderation requires balance, judgement. And as policy, moderation decisions are not subject to public discussion. If you have a problem with a post that you feel breaches forum policy, report the post and your complaint will be evaluated. Neither promotion of competing products nor personal attacks are permitted.

Top Bottom