Vray for Lightwave

Matt

Valiant NewTeKnight
It's not really a matter of interest on our part, it's up to them to want to develop VRay for LightWave. If they are, we're completely willing to aid them in their endeavour, as we did with Kray and FPrime.

Personally, I would love to see it being developed for LightWave, as it can attract people to the platform. But let's not forget, many feel that the LightWave render engine is quite capable also. Even more so in LightWave 11.

Last edited:

BERSEKAEL

I disagree on that capability part... how ever LW is one of my favorite softwares, just wishing on that upgrade.

I mailed to Chaos Group and Newtek asking about that:

Chaos Group:
"There is no V-Ray version for LW currently available.Unfortunately we can not provide any further information at this point.
Please check our website regularly for any updates on the subject.In case V-Ray for LW is being developed it will be officially announced."

Newtek:
"Thank you for contacting NewTek Customer Support. This is only a confirmation that your inquiry has been recieved. An analyst will be providing a response to your message. Should you wish to provide additonal information please include your case number in the subject line of your email."

we will see tomorrow, at least we got 1 side anwsered

Matt

Valiant NewTeKnight
I disagree on that capability part

Many people don't, including all those using LightWave in productions such as Iron Sky and Terra Nova (which could have gone Vray, but didn't because the LightWave renders were preferred - true story).

Newtek:
"Thank you for contacting NewTek Customer Support. This is only a confirmation that your inquiry has been recieved. An analyst will be providing a response to your message. Should you wish to provide additonal information please include your case number in the subject line of your email."

we will see tomorrow, at least we got 1 side anwsered

There is little point in emailing Customer Support on this issue, it is not within their remit to decide features for LightWave. So I wouldn't expect an answer on that. Customer Support is for technical issues.

As I say, it's up to THEM, not us, to decide whether Vray comes to LightWave.

BERSEKAEL

Is all right Matt, I just want facts to be able to decide what to do in a near future. Sadly I wont upgrade to LW 11 :( looks like I will upgrade in some other ways.

BERSEKAEL

Is there any way to create a pole thread? so we could have some idea. I know lot of people around me (ex LW users) already in 3d studio just cuz vray

A bigger question is whether enough LightWavers would purchase a $1000+ render engine plug-in for LightWave.

$500 for standalone :]
LW / Kray can't match V-ray quality afaik, though cheats can be used.
Matt, you have to remember Terranova and Iron Sky basically is exterior renders, which is way more easy.
At times it gets close, but it's more work when doing interiors. (have to admit my renders are way betters these days though because of "sRGB" and tonemapping, the new reflection blur in LW11 is also very welcome)
(don't forget to use great textures)

my hint, if you want cheap Vray quality interior renders, buy Octane. (great quality, maybe even better than Vray)
(but it's not animation friendly, and can't cut the rendertime like Vray for interiors) superb quality/speed for exterior animation though, but will get problems if the scene is too polygon heavy.

a LW/Vray solution is to import LW anims into Blender, and buy the Vray standalone for $500.

 

Last edited:

BERSEKAEL

I rather move to any package that allows V-ray that keep rendering in LW, and I found 3ds max really good for that, my modelings goes from LW through DAE format (just keep in mind each material in a layer to not generate multimaterial), plus the 3d model collections I found in Evermotion are perfect for my archiviz renders.

Cheers

zardoz

to be quite honest I think what matters is the artist and not the tools. They have a part, yes but in the end the artist is what matters. I work with 20 people using vray (and I use it too in a daily basis) and I honestly think that LW render is up there with vray. I am using 3dsmax with vray only because of the pass manager we use.

jasonwestmas

Adapting Artist
to be quite honest I think what matters is the artist and not the tools. They have a part, yes but in the end the artist is what matters. I work with 20 people using vray (and I use it too in a daily basis) and I honestly think that LW render is up there with vray. I am using 3dsmax with vray only because of the pass manager we use.

and what about efficiency. I haven't been using LW lately mainly for that reason. I've been finding more efficient methods for animation and rendering that especially. Also rendering inside your modeling environment is very nice way to speed things up I'm finding. Granted it all depends what one is doing.

Last edited:
 
not sure what you mean, what LW render areas are so inefficient ?
i know it has it's quirks, but i think that's a bit harsh ?

 

jasonwestmas

Adapting Artist
Too harsh about efficiency with animation and rendering that, nah don't think so. I think anyone who has used other applications knows what I'm talking about.

hm, didn't you just comment on Maya and Mental Ray earlier? :]

i'd have to disagree. though i can see room for improvement for sure.
 

Top Bottom