Voronoi Images with procedurals

Philbert

Sub-Dude
I came across this image, basically a photo made into a voronoi pattern.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Art/comments/5xgeqr
And I thought "I bet I could do that with LightWave procedurals". I'm no expert with the node editor. The best I could come up with is running the photo through Scalar Multiply, then into Scale on Procedural Veins. It's not quite right. Any ideas?

prometheus

REBORN
Tough one nodally in lightwave I think, could work, will have to check tomorrow, with just procedurals.

But simpler would be to find a filter in a photo editing software to do it in, this below isn´t quite the same really, haven´t checked all filters or what´s out there not installed yet on my GMIc krita filter.

another idea would be to use the image to remesh something with point density or vertex density based on a map converted to vertex map or something, to get higher resolution in denser black areas then triple it all in the end mesh, then render out edges only from that, but too much work I suppose.

krita filter.jpg

Philbert

Sub-Dude
Yeah I've been searching all over in photo editors or Photoshop. I first thought of this months ago and never got to try it until now. I don't know much about krita but I'll look into it. I was also thinking it looks a lot like decimating a mesh and I can manually paint decimation on 3D-Coat but that takes too long. I'll keep looking into photo editors. Thanks.

prometheus

REBORN
Might be doable in inkscape as well, it has extension, generate from path, voronoi diagram or pattern, you would have to trace the bitmap in inkscape to become paths first, then run that extension, it will generat the voronois based on the colors extracted from that, I did a crude test but so so.

Philbert

Sub-Dude
Might be doable in inkscape as well, it has extension, generate from path, voronoi diagram or pattern, you would have to trace the bitmap in inkscape to become paths first, then run that extension, it will generat the voronois based on the colors extracted from that, I did a crude test but so so.
Interesting. I do have Inkscape and that would actually make things easier since I plan to laser engrave the results.

prometheus

REBORN
By the way, check out stained image node from dpont rman...

In this case, no geometry or surface, I just used textured environment and a procedural node editor layer there in order to jump in to nodes..then set this up.

Feed the alpha output to the alpha input if you want to set an envelope on the opacity channel, from 0-100 for a given frame range to animate the image in to the scene :)
Perhaps some speed time node from dpont as well in to various channels as jitter etc for some cool effects, like speed time in to invert node then to multiply set to 100% then fed in to variation, this will pop the stained mosaic pieces in to the picture through the time range.

stained image.jpg

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Interesting. I do have Inkscape and that would actually make things easier since I plan to laser engrave the results.
well, yes but it I was only testing, not sure that extension was filling with image pattern only or actually creating path segments, doesn´t matter that much though since you could export that as an image and retrace again in to true paths.
The problem I got was that it didn´t create smooth transitions but straight cut offs from black area and white areas, though it says in the help dialog it should be able to smooth things out.

prometheus

REBORN
Darnit, I did some setups with this that was quite nice, saved incremental scenes many times, and after a while lightwave crashed, no worries I thought, but then when trying to load the scenes back, none is working it crashes directly upon loading them, so there is probably an issue with dponts stained image here, it often has issues with rman textures unfortunately...where it crashes.

This is the universe telling me that I need to go to sleep and let it unfold in another direction while I am sleeping.

kadri

There might be more ways to do it. I go mostly the easiest way.
I just displaced a planar object in Layout with an image and reduced polygons in Modeler.
This is with 10 minutes of work. You might get much better results with playing around more.

Attachments

• women_polygonised_Kadri_.jpg
    women_polygonised_Kadri_.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 70

prometheus

REBORN
There might be more ways to do it. I go mostly the easiest way.
I just displaced a planar object in Layout with an image and reduced polygons in Modeler.
This is with 10 minutes of work. You might get much better results with playing around more.
That´s the way to go, first I thought you reduced by plg by using weightmap, which you could do if you convert image map to weight values, but this is also handy.
Nice Kadri, short enough for you?(y)

kadri

That´s the way to go, first I thought you reduced by plg by using weightmap, which you could do if you convert image map to weight values, but this is also handy.
Nice Kadri, short enough for you?(y)
Yeah many ways to do it.

And yes (y)🙂

Joke aside. Writing long doesn't bother me. The way the forum atmosphere feels does. The reason is kinda clear but still so unneeded aggressive posts (me included)....
Although it could be said that it was 15-20 years ago so too and only the other things happening in these days makes it feel so...
Maybe it is just me...Dunno!

prometheus

REBORN
Yeah many ways to do it.

And yes (y)🙂

Joke aside. Writing long doesn't bother me. The way the forum atmosphere feels does. The reason is kinda clear but still so unneeded aggressive posts (me included)....
Although it could be said that it was 15-20 years ago so too and only the other things happening in these days makes it feel so...
Maybe it is just me...Dunno!
(y)

Philbert

Sub-Dude
Did a quick one with my self as a test subject. I think it works well if I just increase the photo contrast a bit more. I can save from Modeler as a DXF I believe and load that directly into Lightburn.

Attachments

• phil_tripled.jpg
    phil_tripled.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 44

prometheus

REBORN
Did a quick one with my self as a test subject. I think it works well if I just increase the photo contrast a bit more. I can save from Modeler as a DXF I believe and load that directly into Lightburn.

Great that it works, by the way, since you mentioned you have inkscape lying there, and may use it for other shape forming stuff etc.
I can´t believe I had the 0.92 version installed, I just downloaded and installed the 1.0.2-2 version, and it now opens much faster than the previous version.
I noticed it automaticly changed to my country language, which is swedish, that I didn´t like really, more comfortable with graphic tools in english and since i´ve been using that previously, so I went to preferences and changed that.

I was also wondering why I didn´t get a requester about to link or embed images, which I currently need to link for some portfolio test pages, it was off by default and you have to change that in preferences as well and make sure under import images, that ask for linking or embedd is checked.

So now I need to try this release out a bit.
Thanks for your videos, you have much interesting stuff, I just haven´t had the time to check it all..but will keep a better track on all of them from now on.
I also would like to record tome tips and tricks you should know when exporting inkscape shapes to lightwave by svg, or pdf, and to some other free 3D tools.

Philbert

Sub-Dude
I don't really use Inkscape, vector art isn't generally my thing. But I Just used it occasionally if I happen to need it like for converting files.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
Check algorithm on Wikipedia page:
e.g.

1) randomize points (x,y)
2) the higher density of points - the smaller polys will be
3) from each point make circle with radius r, until there is found intersection with circle from other point

prometheus

REBORN
I don't really use Inkscape, vector art isn't generally my thing. But I Just used it occasionally if I happen to need it like for converting files.

it´s good for so much more in combination with 3D tools like lightwave..wether it now is inkscape or illustrator, to either manually create paths, shapes symbols, decoration shapes, export to lightwave and simple extrusions for use with furniture, labels, decorationa and buildings, it´s also useful for floorplans, just convert strokes to path with proper thickness and you are done, often you get pdf files or eps with such floorplans, so it becomes necessary to use vector tools to import or correct properly.

The flat boolean union and difference is great, you do have to know how to merge all that so holes comes in right and walls etc, and it has great snapping tools as well, so you can actually work more easier in my opinion for some flat draft modeling, which you then extrude etc.

You can also trace bitmaps, heck why not trace fractal art and make paths of it, export to lightwave and make that a 3D mesh.

Philbert

Sub-Dude
it´s good for so much more in combination with 3D tools like lightwave..wether it now is inkscape or illustrator, to either manually create paths, shapes symbols, decoration shapes, export to lightwave and simple extrusions for use with furniture, labels, decorationa and buildings, it´s also useful for floorplans, just convert strokes to path with proper thickness and you are done, often you get pdf files or eps with such floorplans, so it becomes necessary to use vector tools to import or correct properly.

The flat boolean union and difference is great, you do have to know how to merge all that so holes comes in right and walls etc, and it has great snapping tools as well, so you can actually work more easier in my opinion for some flat draft modeling, which you then extrude etc.

You can also trace bitmaps, heck why not trace fractal art and make paths of it, export to lightwave and make that a 3D mesh.
Most of that I just do with LWCad. Trace Bitmap is handy though.

Top Bottom