Video Toaster 3.1 w/ Amiga 2000 upgraded

CatCakes

Hi there,

I'm new to both the forums here and the Video Toaster. I recently got a Video Toaster setup that seems to be in pretty great shape. It runs 3.1 on an upgraded 2000 (it has the 68030 chip on a card) with extra RAM and what looks to be an ethernet card (I guess you'd network these guys together for rendering?)

The kit did not come with any TBC cards or separate units.

While I have all the software, I have no manuals, so please excuse me if these questions seem a bit base.

(I will be using the toaster sloppily, meaning that I don't need the decks which are connected to be precise in their timing. I will simply be capturing the output (effects, transitions, rendered lightwave sequences) to Final Cut and using the "effected" video in larger projects.

So far, I have hooked up two analog sources (very analog, both are late seventies, early eighties tube cameras) from composite to bnc. I hooked up the first source to input 1 and the second to input 2 on the back of the toaster card. I do not have any terminators on the other two inputs. I hooked up one monitor on program out and one on preview.

Now, everything seems to work, but when I switch over to the second input source, the video is distorted. I can see the video, but it looks like the horizontal hold is messed up. It floats from the left to the right with the overscan area (big black bar that follows) Now, when I transition from Input 1 to Input 2, the video immediately gets bad as soon as any part of Input 2 comes onto the screen. As soon as all visible parts of input 2 leave the screen, the video returns to normal.

So I can transition between input 1 and anything other than the physical camera inputs on the back of the machine, and I can do it just fine. The only problem is that the second (or third or fourth) inputs don't seem to cooperate with the first. (It seems the same goes for any two separate inputs, for instance: cameras on Input 2 and 3 or 2 and 4)

Now, some more apologies. This might be a very simple fix (like getting a TBC or something) but since I don't have the manual and can't for the life of me seem to find it anywhere in a PDF or for download, I'm completely lost on how to set up this guy.

Some more info:

I've switched cameras and inputs to no avail. I have begun to fiddle with the termination switches in the setup menu and while that does effect some small change, it isn't much and I wouldn't say it helps.

Another question:

Could anyone please jot down a quick description of the proper (normal) setup of the video toaster inputs (like, do I need terminators on the unused ones or does the setup menu handle that, or do I need certain buttons checked on the main switcher menu) so that I can start from a certain point and say "this should be working correctly"

Sorry for such a long introductory post, and many thanks for any help you guys/gals might be able to offer.

Cheers!

tonsofpcs

Broadcast Engineer
Hi there,

I'm new to both the forums here and the Video Toaster. I recently got a Video Toaster setup that seems to be in pretty great shape. It runs 3.1 on an upgraded 2000 (it has the 68030 chip on a card) with extra RAM and what looks to be an ethernet card (I guess you'd network these guys together for rendering?)

The kit did not come with any TBC cards or separate units.

While I have all the software, I have no manuals, so please excuse me if these questions seem a bit base.

(I will be using the toaster sloppily, meaning that I don't need the decks which are connected to be precise in their timing. I will simply be capturing the output (effects, transitions, rendered lightwave sequences) to Final Cut and using the "effected" video in larger projects.

Anything connected to an input needs to be precise in its timing otherwise it will not be synced and you will see anything from drifting video, to unmatched video, to complete distortion with jumping pictures.

So far, I have hooked up two analog sources (very analog, both are late seventies, early eighties tube cameras) from composite to bnc. I hooked up the first source to input 1 and the second to input 2 on the back of the toaster card. I do not have any terminators on the other two inputs. I hooked up one monitor on program out and one on preview.

Now, everything seems to work, but when I switch over to the second input source, the video is distorted. I can see the video, but it looks like the horizontal hold is messed up. It floats from the left to the right with the overscan area (big black bar that follows) Now, when I transition from Input 1 to Input 2, the video immediately gets bad as soon as any part of Input 2 comes onto the screen. As soon as all visible parts of input 2 leave the screen, the video returns to normal.
That's the drift

So I can transition between input 1 and anything other than the physical camera inputs on the back of the machine, and I can do it just fine. The only problem is that the second (or third or fourth) inputs don't seem to cooperate with the first. (It seems the same goes for any two separate inputs, for instance: cameras on Input 2 and 3 or 2 and 4)

Now, some more apologies. This might be a very simple fix (like getting a TBC or something) but since I don't have the manual and can't for the life of me seem to find it anywhere in a PDF or for download, I'm completely lost on how to set up this guy.
You can do one of a few things
First, if either camera has genlocking capabilities (a genlock input), you can run the signal from the other camera through it, using it as a sync source, just make sure that sync source goes to input 1 on the toaster.

Second, if neither does, you can use a TBC with framesync and run one of the cameras through it, running the other through its genlock input/loop out, again using the one you used for genlock (sync) as input 1 on the toaster.

If you want to hook up any decks, they must have a TBC and must be synced.

You do not need terminators on the inputs, nor the outputs, but it is suggested that any output (program or preview) be properly terminated (either by having a device attached to it or by having a 75ohm terminator on it).

Top Bottom